Meet Pete, Our New Foster Dog

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I recently registered with the Seal Beach Animal Care Center to do some volunteer dog walking.

In addition, Tinka has been wanting to take on another foster dog.

Today we met Pete, a pitbull mix, at the Long Beach Animal Shelter, courtesy of Live Love Animal Rescue.

Pete seems very sweet! It always seems that it is pit bulls in the news stories about dogs attacking infants or killing their old lady owners, but, so far, this boy couldn’t be sweeter.

We set up his wire cage, and he walked right in. He is two or three years old.

Pete was hit by cars in two separate incidents, and he needs some expensive hip surgery. Live Love Animal Rescue couldn’t raise enough donations for the operation, so Long Beach Animal Shelter put him on the euthanasia list. He was scheduled to be killed yesterday at Long Beach Animal Shelter.

But Emily, the Director of Live Love Rescue, persuaded Long Beach to postpone the euthanization until this coming Monday, so Pete would have one more chance of being adopted or taken in as a foster at the open house today.

We decided to pay the balance of the funds needed for the operation, and we agreed to foster Pete.

Princess Lola sure is going to be pi#$ed!

32C9CB2E-790D-4832-A1EC-12F57D48F2DB.jpeg

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I recently registered with the Seal Beach Animal Care Center to do some volunteer dog walking.

In addition, Tinka has been wanting to take on another foster dog.

Today we met Pete, a pitbull mix, at the Long Beach Animal Shelter, courtesy of Live Love Animal Rescue.

Pete seems very sweet! It always seems that it is pit bulls in the news stories about dogs attacking infants or killing their old lady owners, but, so far, this boy couldn’t be sweeter. He is two or three years old.

Pete was hit by cars in two separate incidents, and he needs some expensive hip surgery. Live Love Animal Rescue couldn’t raise enough donations for the operation, so Long Beach Animal Shelter put him on the euthanasia list. He was scheduled to be killed yesterday at Long Beach Animal Shelter.

But Emily, the Director of Live Love Rescue, persuaded Long Beach to postpone the euthenization until this coming Monday, so Pete would have one more chance of being adopted or taken in as a foster at the open house today.

We decided to pay the balance of the funds needed for the operation, and we agreed to foster Pete.

Princess Lola sure is going to be pi#$ed!

View attachment 61193
Very kind... and very cool. Great outcome (especially for Pete), nice one Ron and Tinka.

Reactions: PeterA and Al M.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Pitbull breeding was done so that if the attacked a human they were put down. That and the pain tolerance for being bread to fight makes them one of the best dogs with children because they don't get mad about being yanked on and stuff - especially when they basically don't feel it. Accounts of them attacking come from two things, 1. they were profusely abused, I mean like taking beatings they have to recover from for length times and 2. almost every single "pitbull" attack wasn't a pitbull; its been shown that almost no one can correctly identify dogs and the go to "bad" dog is a pitbull. The one bad trait they do have is if they aren't socialized enough with other dogs at a young age, and especially smaller dogs/animals, they can be very aggressive to them and maybe kill them.

Thank you for helping this guy out. I love pitbulls. They are extremely sweet, big lap dogs. They also don't shed bad or smell much. They like to play, they like being pushed around and wrestled with. It makes me sad that southern states are such bad dog owners and pitbulls are probably the most mistreated sweet dogs there are.

Reactions: Barry2013

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Great stuff Ron.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Seal Beach Animal Shelter is the best animal Shelter in SoCal. We have been there many times. It was there that our family fell in love with Stanley who spent his entire first year of life there having been returned twice. He is a special needs dog but in our home he has thrived. He has become a major part of our family. Seal Beach is owned by a very special lady who has made it a no kill shelter.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Seal Beach Animal Shelter is the best animal Shelter in SoCal. We have been there many times. It was there that our family fell in love with Stanley who spent his entire first year of life there having been returned twice. He is a special needs dog but in our home he has thrived. He has become a major part of our family. Seal Beach is owned by a very special lady who has made it a no kill shelter.

i enjoyed meeting Stanley and getting a little 'Stanley-love' when i visited you in December.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Since we rescued Stanley we have since donated several $1000's to Seal Beach. They are doing great things for animal rescue and it is a no kill shelter. Before my son was allowed to take Stanley home, the owner called me directly to speak to me to inquire about our home situation as Stanley had been rescued twice and returned and she wanted to be certain we could attend to his special needs.

We have had Stanley now for 5 years and he has thrived. Life for us changed all for the better.

My son who is in the movie industry has many directors that he emulates and admires, one being Stanley Kulbrich. Hence he was named Stanley Kulbark

Kudos for working there Ron. It is a wonderful facility and the owner since we adopted Stanley paid for his special vet needs including an annual MRI which was not cheap. It is a shelter that has a commitment to these abandoned animals. We have taken Stanley back there several times to meet again with the owner. It was because if her that our lives became enriched with this dog as he is an integral part of our family.

Reactions: mountainjoe

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Pitbull breeding was done so that if the attacked a human they were put down. That and the pain tolerance for being bread to fight makes them one of the best dogs with children because they don't get mad about being yanked on and stuff - especially when they basically don't feel it. Accounts of them attacking come from two things, 1. they were profusely abused, I mean like taking beatings they have to recover from for length times and 2. almost every single "pitbull" attack wasn't a pitbull; its been shown that almost no one can correctly identify dogs and the go to "bad" dog is a pitbull. The one bad trait they do have is if they aren't socialized enough with other dogs at a young age, and especially smaller dogs/animals, they can be very aggressive to them and maybe kill them.

Thank you for helping this guy out. I love pitbulls. They are extremely sweet, big lap dogs. They also don't shed bad or smell much. They like to play, they like being pushed around and wrestled with. It makes me sad that southern states are such bad dog owners and pitbulls are probably the most mistreated sweet dogs there are.

Yeah, but they weren't ALWAYS put down... There were exceptions such as some dogs were a cornerstone of the breed that might attack their handlers in order to get at their prey. More recently they have been bred for looks without as much regard to genetic safety.

Look, the truth is pit bulls are genetically bred to herd and fight. Some of them are NEVER going to overcome this genetic predisposition while other examples can. If you fully expect a pit bull to not be aggressive to other animals based on how it's raised you are very likely to be disappointed, much like raising a rattlesnake not to bite. If you expect them not to be human aggressive under ALL circumstances there is a good chance that won't happen either. Breeds mixed with pits are considered a bad idea because you never know exactly what the result will be.

I took a pit puppy from a friend whose mom and dad were perfect family dogs. Well, mine was not, it acted exactly like pits are bred to act, and more than that, if you were restraining it from attacking another dog or whatever it decided was prey, it might just bite you in order to get to that prey. This was my 2nd dog and my 1st one was a total pacifist, never wanted to fight anything so it's certainly not the way it was raised.

The truth is dogs are animals and animals can't always get away from their genetic programming, heck many humans can't... it is absolutely NOT true that a pit can be raised to be non-aggressive, there are individuals that may be an exception but as a whole expecting that from a pit is setting yourself and others up for big disappointment.

ADBA, the pit bull dog breeders association will tell you the same thing, once adolescent they change big time and you can't bring them to dog parks, etc anymore. This is common knowledge and what is taught to new pit owners. The thought they can be raised to avoid these issues is simply wishful thinking. The truth is, you should have a license and training to own pit bulls.

Reactions: rob

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Ron, congrats and good luck! I hope you got a very sweet and non-aggressive dog! :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yeah, but they weren't ALWAYS put down... There were exceptions such as some dogs were a cornerstone of the breed that might attack their handlers in order to get at their prey. More recently they have been bred for looks without as much regard to genetic safety.

Look, the truth is pit bulls are genetically bred to herd and fight. Some of them are NEVER going to overcome this genetic predisposition while other examples can. If you fully expect a pit bull to not be aggressive to other animals based on how it's raised you are very likely to be disappointed, much like raising a rattlesnake not to bite. If you expect them not to be human aggressive under ALL circumstances there is a good chance that won't happen either. Breeds mixed with pits are considered a bad idea because you never know exactly what the result will be.

I took a pit puppy from a friend whose mom and dad were perfect family dogs. Well, mine was not, it acted exactly like pits are bred to act, and more than that, if you were restraining it from attacking another dog or whatever it decided was prey, it might just bite you in order to get to that prey. This was my 2nd dog and my 1st one was a total pacifist, never wanted to fight anything so it's certainly not the way it was raised.

The truth is dogs are animals and animals can't always get away from their genetic programming, heck many humans can't... it is absolutely NOT true that a pit can be raised to be non-aggressive, there are individuals that may be an exception but as a whole expecting that from a pit is setting yourself and others up for big disappointment.

ADBA, the pit bull dog breeders association will tell you the same thing, once adolescent they change big time and you can't bring them to dog parks, etc anymore. This is common knowledge and what is taught to new pit owners. The thought they can be raised to avoid these issues is simply wishful thinking. The truth is, you should have a license and training to own pit bulls.

Dave, there are exceptions to every breed out there. I've never met a pitbull that wasn't a family dog and friendly to other dogs. One I met would kill cats but that was it. But out of all the other dog breeds I've met there is on occasion one that is just mean and nothing occurred to make it that way. There is some what of a luck of the draw factor. A pitbull may have predisposition to wanting to fight other animals but I've never seen one that didn't get over it. In fact all the ones I've ever met were 100% worthless at guarding anything but direct family members (maybe, never proven, just hoped) and big push overs with everything else.

I'm sorry you had a bad apple. My grandfather had to put down his beloved Doberman because it bit his granddaughter one day... (not because it ate the neighbors cat) Some dogs just just don't fit into society. I guess they are no different than people in that regard!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much for all of your kind comments and wonderful wishes! Tinka and I truly appreciate it!

Last edited:

Fineito

Nov 23, 2013
God bless compassionate people like you. We have two dogs ourselves (13 & 14 years old) - they are the kings in the family. I cannot bear to watch the videos of abused animals on TV looking to raise money on their behalf. I change the channel and then get on-line to contribute, trying to avoid all the pictures.

Reactions: marmota

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
What a great story! Congratulations.
Pete must be thrilled.
Winston our resident canine approves.

IMG_0004.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, everyone!

Day 3 Update: 28 pound cocker-poo Princess Lola continues to intimidate 55 pound pit bull Sweet Pete.

Pete finally took some solace in shoe-horning himself into Lola's bed in the living room, while Princess Lola sleeps with us upstairs.

E8C3C79C-1F20-45E8-901C-0306AA474F9B.jpeg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I guess Ron, you didn't personally choose their names Lol.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing