Meeting for Music and Coffee in SFO

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I'm planning on visiting Elite Audio and Coffee Bar in San Francisco's SoMa district towards the end of February.

http://www.eliteaudiosf.com/menu/

Any one interested on meeting and sharing tunes? I'll probably be bringing the line-source G2Jr's.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Elite Audio SF hosts Genesis Friday Feb 21 & Saturday Feb 22.

We will be showing the line-source Genesis 2 Junior loudspeakers with the Genesis monoblock amplifiers, Burmester electronics and Spiral Groove turntable.

G2jr small.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Gary!

What hours will you be there on Saturday?

I'll be there 11 am till late. The store is open 11 am to 5 pm, but I have some guests coming in from South Bay, so we'll stay as long as there's interest.

Will be great to meet SFO WBF members, and we can schedule something special as well.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice meeting you, Gary!

Genesis 2 Jr's are just awesome!

Wilson,

Could you give us your impressions of awesome sound of the system with the Genesis 2 Jr? Unfortunately the Stereophile reviewer mainly told us that they it sounded different from his Wilson speakers, and wrote some vague statements about decor, managing to write tens of lines without any real interest about his opinions on suboptimal setup ... Happily the photos are nice!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It's a crime to place speakers that close to the back wall. At least it should be.;) Looks like the dealer is more concerned with aesthetics than sound quality. I guess if that's what his clients want, then that's the way to go.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's a crime to place speakers that close to the back wall. At least it should be.;) Looks like the dealer is more concerned with aesthetics than sound quality. I guess if that's what his clients want, then that's the way to go.

It is, and it isn't. Problem is that the dedicated room with the solo listener sitting in the optimum position going away in the new market. Jason alluded to the fact that I told him that he is a dinosaur.

The dipole G2Jr worked very well in this situation. The type of drapes being used helped - they are sonically semi-reflective and heavy enough to work well in this situation. However, the speakers were way too far apart - dictated by the size of the cabinet between them - and the cabinet was heavy and resonant, which resulted in quite a lot of energy being stored and re-transmitted. If it wasn't for my amplifier acoustic suspension and the Spiral Groove Strange Attractors, we wouldn't have been able to play vinyl.

Hopefully, Wilson chimes in with what his impression is. Mine will be biased.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Audioarcher,

I would not be so sure - I have listened to excellent sound in systems placed close to the back wall. It is fascinating when they manage to make the rear wall disappear and your neighbor apartment becomes the sound stage. Unfortunately it seems an hazardous effect - I can not find a systematic reason why these systems sounded like that.

And I consider aesthetics as a fundamental part of the listening pleasure. Most of the shops I have entered looked uninteresting, too cold and technical.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Audioarcher,

I would not be so sure - I have listened to excellent sound in systems placed close to the back wall. It is fascinating when they manage to make the rear wall disappear and your neighbor apartment becomes the sound stage. Unfortunately it seems an hazardous effect - I can not find a systematic reason why these systems sounded like that.

And I consider aesthetics as a fundamental part of the listening pleasure. Most of the shops I have entered looked uninteresting, too cold and technical.

Seems to be pretty uncommon to me. I have not experienced that before, and I have been to quite a few audio shows and private listening rooms. If you can figure out what is responsible, then I'm sure there are a bunch of on wall speaker manufactures that would like to speak to you.:D

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Audioarcher,

What speakers were used in these systems you have heard that have sound stage depth when the speakers are close to the back wall? I also wonder if they ever tried them further out into the room, or were they constrained to using them against the back wall?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

And so do a lot of families. We are finding that more men are coming shopping with their wives. In the picture that Jason took, you see three couples auditioning the system.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is there any correlation to the cost of audio gear and the amount of wife involvement? I would think that guys that make tons of money and maybe have wives that don't even work would be less concerned about what their wives think about what they are buying and how much it costs. Conversely, guys that are using household funds that impacts their wives would be more likely to drag their wives out to audio salons in order to get their approval.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
Let me tell you of the story of the couple who both make the mucho big bucks. Making it as anonymous as possible.... He pays with a check (from the joint account), his credit card AND a wad of cash - over a couple of weeks. When I make the mild suggestion that he simply buy her a piece of jewelry or let her buy something she wanted in equivalent, he shuddered and mumbled something like it was just easier his way.

If you are in a relationship - it doesn't matter the gender... one partner spending a large sum of money is always of concern to the other unless there are separate accounts plus the co-mingled funds, and prior agreement that what funds one spends on one's hobby from their own private stash is that person's business. Be it a ton of fabric, diamonds, furs or audio equipment.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Being in this business, you see all sorts..... I don't think that there is any correlation to the cost of audio gear and wife involvement. In the case of the couple in San Francisco, I got the feeling that the wife really enjoyed music too. I've seen him on WBF so he might chime in.

On the other hand, I had a customer who had his speakers taken away from him in a divorce because his wife knew that it would hurt him more than if she took anything else away.

wilson1

Jun 14, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Wilson,

Could you give us your impressions of awesome sound of the system with the Genesis 2 Jr? Unfortunately the Stereophile reviewer mainly told us that they it sounded different from his Wilson speakers, and wrote some vague statements about decor, managing to write tens of lines without any real interest about his opinions on suboptimal setup ... Happily the photos are nice!

Hi HI, Microstrip.

sorry i missed this.

This is my journey with the Genesis brand after using Wilson X1's, W/P with WOW, WITT, etc since 1993/4?.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?15595-My-Journey-to-Genesis-and-beyond!-G5-3-G2-2-Jrs

Wished i have look into the Genesis brand at the time i got my X1's, i would have gotten the G1's instead.
It just killed the Wilson's in more ways than one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing