Meeting - Thursday, September 13th, 2012 - Durand Tonearms (guests welcome)

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Seattle-area Audiophiles...September 13th, 2012 - The Arm as an Instrument...Durand Tonearms

Joel Durand, Professor of Composition and Associate Director of the University of Washington School of Music, will be our guest for the Audio Society's September meeting. We'll hear brilliant tonearm designs from Joel. His Galibier Stelvio II turntable will serve as the foundation and the Executive Committee is working with Joel to assemble the rest of a cutting-edge system along with the most inspiring vinyl we can get our hands on. Prepare to reach for the limits of today's turntable technology with some of the world's most advanced tonearms.

http://www.durand-tonearms.com
http://www.audiosociety.org

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
We had a good crowd.... I thought there would actually be more there though.
The sound was one of the best I've heard in that room. Joel had examples of his earlier tonearms and went through the history of each revision.
The turntable he brought was the Galibier and it had both the Talea and Telos arms mounted. The Ortofon A90 was on both arms and connected to a Thoress Phono Enhancer Pre. I was actually more intrigued with the Pre with its adjustable RIAA curves. Here is a pic of the TT.

TT.JPG

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I agree with Bruce. I was expecting more people as well.

The meeting went very well and the sound was great. I heard a few others in the group say it was the best sound they have heard in that room as well. I though it was at least in the top 2. There was one other meeting that was close and it has been to long since that meeting to say for sure. I've only been a member for the last year so there could have been something I've missed.

Sean

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing