Merging "Emotion" using Mykerinos Card

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
Emotion is a real conundrum for Merging. They are a small company with finite resources that have recently released a new generation of professional networkable digital audio workstations (Horus), operating on their Pyramix software. That in itself is significant for Merging because the networkability of Horus opens up entirely new markets for them in broadcasting and live performance support.

Emotion would be an entirely new consumer based market, with new distribution channels, and necessary support requirements. Additionally, the horse is already out of the barn with all the new software players now available. Merging may have had an edge three years ago, but now?

That said, the playback performance of Horus/Pyramix 8.1 is remarkable. While I listen to multi-channel DSD exclusively in a editing studio environment, it is the best sounding, most spatially realistic DAC of my experience, by a significant degree. So I agree with michelf when he says "Until now there is no other software or hardware player that sound as good and precise compared to Emotion". So, Merging is on to something.

An 8 channel playback only equipped Horus, along with the minimal Mastering Pac Pyramix 8.1 software (the minimum necessary to play DSD and DXD) is in the $12K range. Horus currently supports six card slots, of which only one is used for 8 channel playback. Merging has talked about the release of a two card slot Horus in September, but it's more likely a mid October AES Convention introduction. That box, with one DAC card and Emotion could sell for half the present Horus plus P8.1 Mastering Pac software.

Time will tell…

Tom

michelf

Sep 27, 2011
Eventually DAC manufacturer will support audio over ip (already PS Audio offer an I/0 card based on IP).
With Ravenna support Emotion could detect and connect to various DAC, speakers, receiver, PC, mixing board, etc.

It's clear that Merging found the way to unleash digital playback via a PC platform, for a while I was thinking that the clocking of the Mykerinos card was the reason for the sound quality.
But using Masscore audio engine provide the same audio quality, fast attack, more defined bass, coherence (even with complex music) and finally superb reverb tails.

Emotion was offer as an OEM product and it's not clear if manufacturer has made the jump to include the technology in their Music Server.
Playback Design maybe ???
Andreas Koch had certainly deal with Merging in the past.
Koch was involved with Dyaxis (an early DAW distributed by Studer) and the EQ technology had migrated on Pyramix when Dyaxis product get out of the market.

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
It's clear that Merging found the way to unleash digital playback via a PC platform, for a while I was thinking that the clocking of the Mykerinos card was the reason for the sound quality.
But using Masscore audio engine provide the same audio quality, fast attack, more defined bass, coherence (even with complex music) and finally superb reverb tails.

Wow, you certainly nailed that sound quality description on the head! But I'm not sure what, if any involvement the Masscore engine would have playing out a DSD file. There's no format translation, filtering etc. to the best of my knowledge. But there's something there, it's sonically stunning!

There's a post over at Computer Audiophile from hols who posted the following about using Horus, sans Masscore:

"Just would like to share my experience of playing DSD files using the Merging Horus and Ravenna. It is now quite easy to play DSD files by using an ethernet cable connecting my Window 7 32 bit notebook with the Horus. Using the Emotion is of course feasible and giving better sound but it became even more convenient now because just by using jriver we can already play the DSD files and send them to the Horus via an ethernet cable. After downloading the ASIO driver and the Ravenna I just used jriver to play the DSD file and it is singing through the Horus. The sound just KO my EMM Labs SACD combo easily even before any tweaking. So the Ravenna has probably opened up an entirely new world of possibilities including playback of DSD files.
I just upgraded to the newest Horus firmware and download the Ravenna ASIO driver which comprises 3 "softwares" MTDiscovery, Ravenna easyconnect and the MergingRavenna ASIO panel. After adjusting output to 64 channels then one can play DSD with the jriver. Will be able to play it with Foobar very soon. I heard the beta version of Emotion(playback only) at the dealer's place. And they guided me with the installation and necessary adjustments of my setup in the notebook. And the sound is really great. And the Ravenna lives up to its promise of minimal jitter"

You're right about Pyramix containing allot of previous work. The entire DSD rendering, and DXD was originally a Philips development.

Interesting about Emotion being offered as an OEM product. That may be the key to the consumer market support.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
"Just would like to share my experience of playing DSD files using the Merging Horus and Ravenna. It is now quite easy to play DSD files by using an ethernet cable connecting my Window 7 32 bit notebook with the Horus. Using the Emotion is of course feasible and giving better sound but it became even more convenient now because just by using jriver we can already play the DSD files and send them to the Horus via an ethernet cable. After downloading the ASIO driver and the Ravenna I just used jriver to play the DSD file and it is singing through the Horus. The sound just KO my EMM Labs SACD combo easily even before any tweaking. So the Ravenna has probably opened up an entirely new world of possibilities including playback of DSD files.

I was told by Merging that you can not play DSD/DXD files without the MassCore option. I know you could with the Mykerinos cards, but without the cards, I had to upgrade my Native rig to MassCore. My other machine already had the MassCore 128 option.

I do agree though about using MassCore. I could boot up the PC into either mode and felt the DSD/DXD sounded better in MassCore mode.

I haven't used my Emotion software in quite a while. I found Audirvana+ and HQPlayer to be much more efficient with no crashes. Claude said the Emotion software is built on the Ovation engine.

Speaking of Dyaxis.. I have a new unit that I play around with now!

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
Yes, I read that same thing from Dominique about Native. I believe that's changed now with the P8.1 Beta ASIO drivers. The Ravenna ASIO & Core Audio Guide states up to 48 Tracks and 8 channels support of DXD through 256fs DSD playback, and 8 inputs for record. To my knowledge Pyramix 8.1 is to be officially released this week.

I was really surprised to read Hols experience running a Horus with ASIO drivers and JRiver for DSD playback. Assuming that's accurate, and the sound quality is in the hardware and driver or combination (?), a two card Horus with the Premium DAC card, plus JRiver could be about a $5-6K playback system.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Well the basic Horus with no cards is $6829. The basic card, that will do PCM up to 192 is $1064 and the Premium DAC card that will do DSD/DXD is $1583. Add the Ravenna I/O and you're at $8699, and this is just the Horus unit!

I'd highly question anyone running a Horus with JRiver/ASIO

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
When I was in contact with Merging Technologies last time about a year ago they wrote that Emotion was put on hold until they had finished Horus. Then they wanted to start the Emotion project again and reuse some of the technology from Horus in Emotion.

Another interesting thing is that the Swiss audiophile hardware manufacturer Soulution was building a one box all-in-one music server box ala the Burmester 111 but based on the Merging Technologies Emotion software. It was put on hold when the Emotion was put on hold.

Last edited:

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Yes, but the new two card slot Horus was talked about being about $3750.

Any word on when the 2 slot Horus might be arriving? Having a full Multichannel DSD playback setup like that at $5k to $6k sounds intriguing. I'm guessing that the current Pyramix/Horus solution is priced quite a bit higher if the basic Horus alone is over $6,800 - even before factoring in Pyramix, storage, etc.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Any word on when the 2 slot Horus might be arriving? Having a full Multichannel DSD playback setup like that at $5k to $6k sounds intriguing. I'm guessing that the current Pyramix/Horus solution is priced quite a bit higher if the basic Horus alone is over $6,800 - even before factoring in Pyramix, storage, etc.

Haven't heard anything. I assume a 2-slot would give you 8 in/out. Using the Ravenna protocol and a Pyramix Music or Mastering pack, you can expect to pay close to $20k. With the Horus and 2 premium cards, I still have about $5k in my Native system and using the Ravenna ASIO drivers. There's no other way around it if you want to do MCH DSD recording/playback.

michelf

Sep 27, 2011
I heard the rumour that Merging is working on 8 I-O version of the Horus.
But no pricing and delivery date was available.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Yes, the Horus can be configured with 32 in/out. With the premium cards, it can go up to 384kHz PCM and DSD256fs. I've been using it for a while now and I believe I still prefer my Grimm AD1

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
Any word on when the 2 slot Horus might be arriving?

They were aiming for a September introduction, which would have meant the IBC in Amsterdam this week. No indication of that, so the next opportunity is AES in NYC October 17.

The 2 slot Horus is simply a less expensive 2 slot variant of the current 6 slot. Each slot supports an 8 channel card, of either record or playback. They're basically removing the 24 channels of AES I/O, the redundant power supply capability, and maybe other little used features. Its primary market is for dedicated 8 channel recording, and as a control room networked monitoring with just a DAC card, leaving the main Horus(s) as stageboxes. Without options(?) and ADC/DAC cards, the 2 slot Horus was rumored to be priced at $3,700.

I've not heard it has anything to do with Emotion, but of course Emotion runs on the Pyramix platform. I do know of one instance where a user purchased a 6 slot Horus with one DAC card, and with the ASIO driver, runs the DAC only Horus from JRiver. IF that is accurate, and the pricing of the 2 slot Horus box holds at around $4K, than a multi-channel Horus DSD/PCM playback system with the premium DAC card, plus the Merging Ravenna PCI Eithernet card could be had for about $6K.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing