Metal Mats

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Some are but not all, I’ve also noticed additional vibration with a few turntables due to the extra weight. In many instances between the the heavy mat and heavy record weight you could be doubling the platter mass I’m not sure how robust is a bearing designed for a 4-5kg or less platter. Just something for people to keep in mind, specially with older common tts like Garrard, Thorens and even Linn.

david

My addition isn't even 4kg.

I haven't come across any usable TT's with such small bearings that it would be affected by that much difference, but maybe long term it's possible. You can get improved bearings for most of these tables if needed.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings from down unda...
We're in lockdown at the moment, too many C19 bugs running around...
So what better to do than listen to some fine tunes!

Speaking of metal mats, I was using one by Spec, referred to as the Aluminium disc mat. Japanese high tech stuff, and sounds awesome! It was highly recommended by a few good mates and the limited time I had with it was very enjoyable.

Yes, limited, simply because due to severe static issues I'm having with this very mat. So, whenever I approach the TT and get ready to lift off the LP to change sides, all the static build up on me travels straight through to the Spec mat, discharging it onto the phonostage and onto the preamp, forcing it to shut down with a loud kaboom!

Obviously due to the monoblocks being powered on... so I reactivate the preamp and once again I hear Canon fire equal to that of 4th of July!

I've tried various gizmos, even approached the TT butt naked, only that static discharge went in a slight different direction... ouchey!
Grounded this and grounded that, nothing to avail. So I had no choice other than to go back to the carbon fibre mat that was supplied and recommended by Rega for my RP8. So all is good and absolutely zero static, plus I can put some clothes on! The Carbon fibre mat sounds mighty fine, and I'm enjoying LPs just as much without the Spec mat. Whatever said and done, the analog sound is something magical.

The Spec mat is up for sale since but no takers, I guess people were worried about the static issues. Anyone else faced similar issues and if so, would be interested to know your solution/s if any?

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Can't you just touch a metal rack or outside enclosure of something instead of the TT first?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, tried that too mate. Infact that was the first thing I do, as I approach... I then reach out and touch the QX4 unit and poof! A nice big spark discharges from my fingers.

However, as I'm lifting the LP off the Spec mat, I can hear static floating around underneath, like those millions of mice running around in Qld farm land.

So, that static is built up from somewhere between the top layer of the mat and underside of the LP. When lifting off it causes a static discharge to the preamp, shutting it off.

I tried the D-stat III gadget and that reduced it by a very good margin, however after a few plays it happens again. I use the D-stat III each time I load an LP, running it across on both sides but this doesn't help when lifting off the Spec mat. There's no way around it.

I did try this though, using the D-stat III each time prior to lifting off the LP but that's an awful lot of time consuming just to change sides! Plus it works for a few change overs and then suddenly discharges again with a loud thud!

No one on any forum has ever come across my particular static problem. It's one of a kind!
There was another chap up in Qld who had the same issue but instead of tripping off the preamp, it would shut down the phonostage. He got pretty annoyed with it and figured it would do further damage to his phonostage, so he's also discontinued the Spec mat.

Thanks for helping though. Appreciate it.
Best, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ok, no one has thought of that as yet...

So, you mean run a ground wire from main bearing of TT to ground connection on the CJ phonostage?

The CJ phonostage has a separate ground terminal that is unused. If I add this ground wire will I be adding a second ground causing a ground loop...

Please kindly elaborate,
Thanks, RJ

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
yes a gnd wire from house of tt bearing
those two gnd terminals are probably connected...ohm between them...if no connection use the other used by rest of system
if connected, doesn´t matter
best
Leif

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
have loooked at pics of tt now.....is it electrical connection between bearing house and outrigger for armboard
if yes , good
if no, gnd the outrigger too and of course arm

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, actually that's what I was looking at as well. Only thing is, thereafter too many ground wires mate...
I like to keep things simple and the Spec mat causes nightmares! I'm not even sure if any additional grounding is going to work. I can't afford another kaboom! Tube life cycle deteriorates big time...

I also spoke with Rega about this, and they advised similar but the initial advice was to discontinue the Spec mat and revert back to the carbon fibre, and all will be well.

Really speaking all is very well!

What I would need to do is, try this out with the power amplifiers off. Just leaving the phonostage and preamp on with the TT running. Then do these trials with the wires and see if anything trips...

Otherwise, might as well put my hand up for Canon fire participant on 4th of July celebrations!

Cheers mate, I'll give it some thought.
Many sincere thanks, RJ

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
you can have as many gnd wires as needed as long as they end up in a star....
here in Norway I only gnd the biggest power consumer to power gnd..the rest is gnd together throught the interconnects......to avoid the loops you´re talking about.....dead quiet here with +110db horn system

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I had a Music Hall TT as my first. It always had static problems.

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
This totally took care of my static issues. It has a range of about 12". I bought a small scissor stand and used blue Tak to hold my unit down. Mine sits between 2 tables and I have a swivel under it so I can swing it back and forth,

Don't pay retail for them, ebay has used units for under $75.

Westek Workstation deionizer

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Mmm... that's sounds like a pretty good solution indeed. Glad this worked out well for you.

In my case, I'm back to the carbon fibre mat, and the Spec mat is tucked away in its sleeve on the shelf neatly aside with the rest of the LP's. I just can't be bothered anymore, and I don't want to take any risks again by tripping off the preamp each time. So now, I'm just relaxing and enjoying the music, after all that's what it's about.

May be on my next time off on annual leave, I'll give it one more try, I don't know.

Thanks for your suggestion, I think it makes perfect sense though.
Cheers mate, RJ

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
What are the subjective sound differences between stainless steel and copper? My platter top is copper, never had the option to compare against stainless. I may try one of these mats with a slope.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes but they will sound more similar than vs carbon/felt/rubber/cork/foo foo.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I ordered one last week, in the same dimensions. I chose Titanium Grade 2. I have been curious about titanium after reading all the AF1P user experiences. I also asked to keep as much thickness as possible out of the 0.25" plate that will be used, it will probably be closer to 6mm at the edge. I'm also looking into getting it coated with a DLC (Diamond like Carbon) coating, waiting for quotes. Since I'm running an idler, I want to damp the main platter, hopefully removing any last bit of the noise generated from the idler running on the platter. I ordered a fo.q platter mat. It comes with a 1mm and 2mm mat. I intend on using the 1mm mat first between the main platter and titanium mat.

Reactions: Folsom

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
My Titanium Mat came in the other day and spent the last couple of days listening and tweaking the cartridge setup for the differences. I had to change VTA due to the thickness and azimuth. The azimuth adjustment was quite substantial going from -.4 degrees to +1 on my feickert spirit level. I first setup the azimuth with Adjust+ but have begun tweaking by ear. Need to tweak VTA/ SRA & anti-skate by ear too.

Machining quality was very good, visually perfect. I don't have any tools at home to take measurements.

The 1 degree slope is interesting. Putting the record on the mat, placing the record weight on top, then pressing the weight down slightly... it feels like the record is sucked into the mat. There appears to be perfect contact. Changing records while the platter is spinning is also a breeze now, it feels like it just pops off since there is little contract with the mat without the record weight and the edges of the LP hang over the mat.

I played with both mat directly on top of platter and using the 1mm Fo.q platter mat in between. With metal to metal, the idler wheel is very nearly silent. With the Fo.q in between, it is completely silent. The background of the music is silent, and groove noise has decreased.

The titanium is interesting. I have had a stainless steel mat in the past but preferred the copper top. The copper seemed to have a bit more body, weight and warmth (I hate using this term). The titanium seems to combine the advantages of the stainless with the copper. It almost sounds like the titanium is a more refined version of the copper mat while remaining more neutral. I no longer have the stainless mat, so I can't directly compare.

I am still tweaking the cart setup but so far, mostly positives. One thing I hate, is that I am fully extended on the VTA of my FR arm, but that is a turntable problem, not a mat problem. I am designing a new plinth that I will build next year that will address that issue.

IMG_5682-1.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg
IMG_5685.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing