Metal Mats

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
but if the copper top is flat and the titanium is slightly concave to connect better to the LP edge, how do you know what triggers the perceived difference?
best
Leif

Reactions: advanced101

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
but if the copper top is flat and the titanium is slightly concave to connect better to the LP edge, how do you know what triggers the perceived difference?
best
Leif
That is a legitimate variable and one I can't compensate. If I had the resources and time, I would perform a like for like comparison between three identical mats made of Copper, Ti and Stainless.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
unscrew the copper top and have made identical copies in different materials....:cool:
I myself have ended up with gunmetal/bronze in many different settings....
platters, armboards, tonearm bearing caps, B-60 VTA base nuts and even TAD 2002 JMLC horn and TAD 4003 horn adapters for JMLC270.......the added mass has in all theese settings been positive for the harmonics
before I got the Melco I even had a 4,5 kg gunmetal mat on top of the Garrardzilla 13,5kg bronze platter

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Very nice, I do not have any experience with Gunmetal but have heard good things. That Melco is a beast!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
to put it this way: it stays! btw that 35kg gunmetal platter is slightly concave as is the one on my Basis Ovation signature
I think one should either have
vacuum
concave platter
peripheral weight

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The interface between the vinyl and mat is where most of the sound comes from so what's stacked is important but not enough to change the interface sound. Example having copper below doesn't change the fact that the interface is something different and greatly influences the sound.

Reactions: advanced101

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
The interface between the vinyl and mat is where most of the sound comes from so what's stacked is important but not enough to change the interface sound. Example having copper below doesn't change the fact that the interface is something different and greatly influences the sound.
Yes, agreed but a bit confused though...

So as stated, the interface between the vinyl & mat... is where most of the sound is emanated...

In which case the interface between vinyl and mat... what interface? There's nothing between vinyl and mat, it's vinyl on top of the mat, isn't it?
Correct me if I'm wrong or have I gravely missed something here?

Another reason why I simply don't use the Spec disc mat any longer. The static issues never went away, and I'm just back to the original carbon fibre mat recommended by Rega. So overall, still enjoying those fine tunes!
RJ

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes, agreed but a bit confused though...

So as stated, the interface between the vinyl & mat... is where most of the sound is emanated...

In which case the interface between vinyl and mat... what interface? There's nothing between vinyl and mat, it's vinyl on top of the mat, isn't it?
Correct me if I'm wrong or have I gravely missed something here?

Another reason why I simply don't use the Spec disc mat any longer. The static issues never went away, and I'm just back to the original carbon fibre mat recommended by Rega. So overall, still enjoying those fine tunes!
RJ

The vinyl is vibrating more or less based the interaction with the platter, as the stylus is generating the vibrations. This is why coupling matters.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Right... so the mat is the interface correct?
In which case, as stated above there's hardly any influence on the interface, which is the mat...

Perhaps that's why I really didn't feel the dire urge to retain the Spec mat, although it did make a good difference, I'm just back to the original mat. No static, no issues, just fine tunes!
Guess that's about it!

Anything I'm missing here, please do let me know.
Cheers, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing