Metaxas reel to reel, any good?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Anyone heard one of these compared to other reel to reel decks. Are there issues to worry about. Are parts available. Do they sound as good as they look???
Thanks

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Never mind. I found this thread.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Rex, have you found out a price for the machine? According to Reel to Reel Rambler from a few months ago, the price was upon application - depending on how you want it configured. An earlier prototype - much more sculptural than the current model was listed as $55K in Robb Report in 2018. In the company literature, the owner, Kostas Metaxas, stated that he bought his Stellavox (his inspiration for this machine) for $50K back in the mid '80's - the price of a home in Australia. Not sure whether that was Aussie dollars or not. I think he was setting some level of expectation that it wouldn't be cheap.

Larry

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Hello Larry. A friend of mine looking for a machine was smitten with it. I keep telling him to find a good Studer. He wants new with good support and parts for repair available. I don't think he knew it was 50K. He will be bummed to know. My Otari is working fine for me. I'm falling into a tape or 45rpm rut. Lesser quality is not cutting it as much anymore.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The Ballfinger is a full size machine, while the Metaxas is a small form machine, more like a Stellavox or Nagra. I think they are the only new machines on the market (Thorens was working with Ballfinger on a new machine, but I don't know whether that went anywhere.) The Ballfinger is cheaper than the Metaxas, at $20K to $40K IIRC depending on what features it has. Others may know of other new machines.

Larry

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Playback only retail €44,100. Playback and record retail €49,000.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Playback only retail €44,100. Playback and record retail €49,000.
Tango is this the Ballfinger or Metaxas price? Thanks, Larry

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
The Ballfinger is a full size machine, while the Metaxas is a small form machine, more like a Stellavox or Nagra. I think they are the only new machines on the market (Thorens was working with Ballfinger on a new machine, but I don't know whether that went anywhere.) The Ballfinger is cheaper than the Metaxas, at $20K to $40K IIRC depending on what features it has. Others may know of other new machines.

Larry
I believe the Ballfinger is only 1/4 inch however. I emailed them a year or so ago about placing a potential order, and they said something about perhaps coming out with 1/2 inch head later. Any news on whether Ballfinger is still 1/4 inch only?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Metaxas sir.
Thanks. When I first heard that Metaxas was looking at producing a tape recorder, I went to their website to see what products they had produced. They were all quite striking in appearance - looking as much like sculptures as audio equipment. That was true of their prototype tape recorder. The one in production looks much more conventional in appearance. I also noticed that the prices of all their equipment were very much in the high end range. So their $USD50K+ pricing is both consistent with their other productions and their previously estimated pricing from the 2018 Robb Report article.

If you haven't seen the Robb Report magazine, its focus is the top 1% (more like the top 0.1%) lifestyles of the rich and famous. It was supposed to be Michael Jackson's favorite magazine.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing