METAXAS Tourbillon T-RX

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Perhaps one of the best machines successfully combining the elegance with very simple and smooth operation is Lyrec Frida - I think it is unmatched in that regard. And it does so without any frivolous "beautification". It is all natural beauty, so to speak - its subtle form fully reflects its function, and the result is striking.

View attachment 123569
That does look nice! Yours?

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I see... no, not him... and I did not get the red case, :( but I got the blue one for Fred! :) The seller had the red case, but kept it for his other machine. :( I did not get the support leg either, most machines don't seem to have it, so I made the one in the picture.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I never tried recording to it, its playback quality was not were I would like it to be, so I mostly keep it as something to be admired for its design. :)

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
We were in Europe (for the first time since we married in 1970) in the spring of 1985. At that time the US Dollar was the strongest in history compared to the GBP and I think most of the European currencies. The GBP dropped to a low of 1.06 USD in March, 1985. I believe that was the all time low vs. the USD. On our wish list had been an Austrian grand piano, a Boesendorfer 225 (7'4" with 92 keys) which was selling for close to $60,000 in the US, way, way beyond our budget. However we found the price in Europe (we ended up buying one from the Boesendorfer dealer in Paris) for $24,000 including air freight to our home in California. My wife was able to pick one that she wanted, choosing it from four that were in the Vienna location (on Boesendorferstrasse) where final voicing and tuning was done. The Boesendorfer people actually picked us up from our hotel in Vienna and took us on a private tour at the main factory in Wiener Neustadt.

We didn't realize we were actually doing currency arbitrage to buy our piano. It still sits in our living room. Here is Cliburn winner Jon Nakamatsu playing the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 on our Boesendorfer 225 with his accompanist Chris Salocks playing the orchestral part on our second piano during a home concert we did in the spring of 2019. JN and CS in concert.JPG

Larry

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
We were in Europe (for the first time since we married in 1970) in the spring of 1985. At that time the US Dollar was the strongest in history compared to the GBP and I think most of the European currencies. The GBP dropped to a low of 1.06 USD in March, 1985. I believe that was the all time low vs. the USD. On our wish list had been an Austrian grand piano, a Boesendorfer 225 (7'4" with 92 keys) which was selling for close to $60,000 in the US, way, way beyond our budget. However we found the price in Europe (we ended up buying one from the Boesendorfer dealer in Paris) for $24,000 including air freight to our home in California. My wife was able to pick one that she wanted, choosing it from four that were in the Vienna location (on Boesendorferstrasse) where final voicing and tuning was done. The Boesendorfer people actually picked us up from our hotel in Vienna and took us on a private tour at the main factory in Wiener Neustadt.

We didn't realize we were actually doing currency arbitrage to buy our piano. It still sits in our living room. Here is Cliburn winner Jon Nakamatsu playing the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2 on our Boesendorfer 225 with his accompanist Chris Salocks playing the orchestral part on our second piano during a home concert we did in the spring of 2019. View attachment 124215

Larry
I went to the Boesendorfer showroom in Vienna to try out some pianos about 15 years ago and they were cheaper than in HK. However, they would not send it to HK since they had a distributor there. I grew up playing Boesendorfers and never liked the Steinway action. However, I played on some new Steinways recently and recorded on the Spirio system. I found it quite superb and I am seriously considering buying one to replace my Boesendorfer, which my son is desperately trying to take from me !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing