MEZE 99 CLASSIC HEADPHONES

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I received a call last Saturday to accompany my nephew to Crutchfield Audio in Charlottsville, Virginia. He was switching out the radio in his truck. This gave me a chance to audition the headphone display. The headphone was well made, reasonably priced, and comfortable. The sound was smooth without being overly detailed. My only regret was that I had neglected to bring one of my iFi
audio outboard dac/amps. Not that it was power hungry. It was adequately powered by my smartphone
I am anxiously awaiting the release of the latest SONY WH1000 series. This is in a different class. You can make it mobile but is better fitted for home use.
I will definitely keep an eye on it. It's my first exposure to the Meze sound.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting...I see that Meze shows many of the people who use this are recording artists.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mine should arrive soon...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am breaking in the Meze. I expect it to take about two weeks. It sounds great so far.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Everything should come with a quarter inch jack.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Comfort, fit and finish
This headphone is closed back . It has an acoustic seal but does not create the vacuum effect that makes you think it will suck your eardrum out.
It is self
adjusting, without that vise grip feel. weight is light and not an issue. although it not summer, I di not sweat or otherwise experience any temperature related discomfort.
Long listening sessions should be
comfortable for a large head like mine.

Sound blee is minimal and should not annoy your partner.
The one caveat is that it has a metal headband which resonates and is audible when you touch or strike. A fairly common problem. Solution- Don't do that. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Meze is highly recommended. Several outlets are offering discounts.
See here

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
meze-audio-99-classics-inline-04.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic. A big fan of the Meze Empyreans...currently using with our TA Cable + EAR Yoshino HP4 headphone amp.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have seen these headphones paired with the ifi Audio Go-blue . I might as well do an evaluation.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Pet peeve- another headphone not clearly marked Left and Right.
I am tempted to say this headphone has a "woody" sound.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I continued to be wowed by these headphones. it was love at first sight. Our relationship continues to grow. Sorry for the romantic metaphors. Yesterday was valentines Day). Sooner or later a snafu was inevitable. for some reason one of the the earpads came off. Due to my advance age my vision and fine motor skills I have seriously declined. Not to worry I can enlist the aid of one of my teenage neighbors.

SUGGESTION-IS THERE ANY REASON FOR EVERY QUALITY HEADPHONE NOT TO HAVE SNA;P ON EAR PADS ALA MY HD800S? I would be happy to bear the increased cost if any. If noting else, it would facilitate the substitution of different earpads. Unfortunately they can have a sonic effect.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I find this to be of little assistance. Meze also has a you tube video on the issue. It sort of reminds me of fixing a flat tire on a high pressure racing bike tire. you have to do it without a tool to avoid pinching the inner tube. The first step is to believe it can be done.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
well positive thinking works.
Who'd a thunk it?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
came off again . maybe i should return for new pair.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Still unable to fix the earpad situation. Meze has been of no help.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Meze customer service was prompt and polite. Sadly the put the burden on me. A dark cloud on an otherwise outstanding product. I suggested perhaps they should replace the headphones or give me a trade-up credit they were silent. Saying the problem was not a "defect." Even more disturbing, they tried to play the "proof of purchase" game.
So much for the customer always being right.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Meze customer service was prompt and polite. Sadly the put the burden on me. A dark cloud on an otherwise outstanding product. I suggested perhaps they should replace the headphones or give me a trade-up credit they were silent. Saying the problem was not a "defect." Even more disturbing, they tried to play the "proof of purchase" game.
So much for the customer always being right.
That's not good. Maybe it's time to enlist the neighbor again?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You know I have that can do attitude. I will get it done.
I am disappointed with Meze customer service.
It is on my to do list along with putting a new battery in the Sony WH-1000XM4. It died right on cue.:)

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
You know I have that can do attitude. I will get it done.
I am disappointed with Meze customer service.
It is on my to do list along with putting a new battery in the Sony WH-1000XM4. It died right on cue.:)
I have my fingers crossed for you as always, be sure to keep on updating!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing