MFSL inner sleeves

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I've placed pretty much my entire collection in these, 2700 or so discs. When I pull a disc out to play it I see a sort of haze on it. It isn't smooth over the entire disc, it looks like a wrinkled sleeve "off-gassing" for lack of a better term.

It cleans right off when I use an Orbitrac and a mixture of 80% distilled water and 20 % isopropyl alcohol. I'm not liking this and wonder if anyone here has experienced this or has a comment on MSFL inner sleeves.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I've placed pretty much my entire collection in these, 2700 or so discs. When I pull a disc out to play it I see a sort of haze on it. It isn't smooth over the entire disc, it looks like a wrinkled sleeve "off-gassing" for lack of a better term.

It cleans right off when I use an Orbitrac and a mixture of 80% distilled water and 20 % isopropyl alcohol. I'm not liking this and wonder if anyone here has experienced this or has a comment on MSFL inner sleeves.
Is it on all lps or just some?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Unfortunately this has happened to mofi sleeves before. There are a few threads on Steve Hoffman forums.

Not sure if these are new mofi sleeves or older ones, but you need to get rid of them, clean your records into new sleeves.

IMO, mofi sleeves have always been overrated and flawed with these hazing issues. There are plenty of better and cheaper options.

Personal, I find el cheaper poly sleeves fine for albums with inner lyric sheets. I use covers33 polylined paper sleeves for any records that don't have lyric sheets - they have cut off corners for easy insertion and removal.

Good luck.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Is it on all lps or just some?
I can’t say 100% that it is on all of them, but the sleeves that are about 5 years old, aim noticing it there.

At 40 cents per, that’s around $1000. Kind of sucks to waste them but I like my records more.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
One more thing; I like these inner sleeves because some LP’s use shiny card stock for inners and the static grabs hold and won’t let go. I suppose I’d settle for an acid-free paper if it didn’t have a hole in it. First world problems.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I can’t say 100% that it is on all of them, but the sleeves that are about 5 years old, aim noticing it there.

At 40 cents per, that’s around $1000. Kind of sucks to waste them but I like my records more.
Unfortunately this has happened to mofi sleeves before. There are a few threads on Steve Hoffman forums.

Not sure if these are new mofi sleeves or older ones, but you need to get rid of them, clean your records into new sleeves.

IMO, mofi sleeves have always been overrated and flawed with these hazing issues. There are plenty of better and cheaper options.

Personal, I find el cheaper poly sleeves fine for albums with inner lyric sheets. I use covers33 polylined paper sleeves for any records that don't have lyric sheets - they have cut off corners for easy insertion and removal.

Good luck.
I have just about all my lps in these inner sleeves and I would be very upset if they left marks on my lps.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

yes they are expensive and definitely shouldn’t leave marks on the lp.I am now worried, I might have the same problem as most of my lps have these inner sleeves.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

Can you show a picture of this haze On the lp?

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

How could a company like mobile fidelity sound lab do this.it’s bad news for there reputation.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
One more thing; I like these inner sleeves because some LP’s use shiny card stock for inners and the static grabs hold and won’t let go. I suppose I’d settle for an acid-free paper if it didn’t have a hole in it. First world problems.

Not sure which world you're in, but if you buy in US, I've had good luck with either of these:

Reactions: sombunya and mtemur

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Not sure which world you're in, but if you buy in US, I've had good luck with either of these:

I’m in So Cal. I’ll look into them. Thank you.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
As I said, I use a cheap, Allsop Orbitrac to give my records a quick wipe. I use an 80/20 distilled water/alcohol mix and it comes right off. Not like it’s etching them.

I sent a message to MFSL about this. We’ll see what they say, if they reply at all. Also, I’ve used some generic inners and it’s not happening with them, fwiw.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Short follow-up, I heard back from MFSL.

They said they had a few other reports of this and it is most likely excessive humidity or some such nonsense. They obviously didn't read or ignored my message when I pointed out it's only their sleeves that are offending. I wouldn't expect much more from them.

So now comes the process of finding and removing them. I've used inexpensive inners with no problems. And so it goes.

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Disappointing response from mofi, but not unexpected.

Imo their sleeves are for audiophools and have thought that for many years.

Good luck cleaning and re sleeving all your records with cheaper safe inner sleeves.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing