MIT's massive price increase

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Imagine you were driving an older Honda Accord. You've been extremely happy with it, but felt that it was time for a new one. You walk into your Honda dealer and you find that the model introduced in 2009 is still available as a current model. In 2009 and until only a few months ago, the 2009 model sold for $24,990. But now it sells for the insane price of $35,990. How quickly would you walk out of that dealership?

What I'm referring to here specifically is the MIT Magnum M2.3 interconnect. I own several of these. The retail price was $2499 when I grabbed them - and I am pretty sure this was the original retail price when this was cable introduced in 2009. The retail price recently increased by $1100 to $3599 - a 44% increase!

Of course it's always been relatively easy to grab the Magnum M2.3 and other cables from this series for half off. But that still means that one needs to fork out 44% more for the M2.3 - a whopping $550 extra!

Per the inflation calculator at http://www.westegg.com/inflation, what cost $2499 in 2009 should be $2667 in 2012. So the increase due to inflation after three years is $168 - or $56 per year. MIT's increase was $1100 four years after this cable was introduced - which works out to $275 per year. MIT's price increase is almost 5x the rate of inflation.

For comparison, let's look at one of MIT's competitors: Nordost. The 1m Nordost Valhalla interconnect was $3300 when it first came out in 2001 (as best as I can tell). According to the inflation calculator, the price should have increased to $4276 in 2012. Guess what? The Valhalla sells for today for $4260!! The Valhalla was improved once in its lifetime (said to be a substantial bump), so a person buying the Valhalla today actually gets a better value. This is how it's supposed to be done!!!

[Of course Nordost has just come out with the Valhalla 2 that's priced at $9799 - 43% more than the Valhalla 1. But the Valhalla 2 is an entirely new and apparently a much improved cable. Unlike MIT, Nordost didn't just jack up the price of the original Valhalla by 44%.]

Alternatively there's MIT's Matrix series. But here the prices seem inflated as well. The now discontinued Magnum MA interconnect had 36 poles and retailed for $2499. It looks like the Magnum MA was replaced by the Matrix HD 36, which also has 36 poles. The HD 36 adds F.A.T. and increases the price by $1500 (60%) to $3999. The Magnum MA, if it were still around, would likely be priced at $3599 as the M2.3. So maybe F.A.T. only added $400 to the price - and the rest of the increase is the same extra fat (pun intended) that was added to the "dot 3" series. Just guessing with respect to the pricing here though. I sure wish it were easier to figure out MIT's various models and lineups. [Has anyone compared the HD 36 to the Magnum MA? If so, do you think it's worth the 60% price increase?]

I had been saving for quite some time in hopes of moving up to the next rung in MIT's "dot 3" lineup. So, as you'd imagine I am extremely bummed about this massive increase in price. The money I saved will no longer allow me to obtain the same level of improvements I would have gotten earlier this year prior to this massive price increase. As a long time MIT customer, this is a very tough pill to swallow, and I think it tells me that I should move on to a different brand. I had long thought that MIT delivered a good value for the price. But that no longer seems to be the case.

It seems that most audio manufacturers today are attempting to deliver a better bang for the buck. MIT appears to have gone way in the opposite direction, which seems insane given the state of the economy. Can anyone offer an explanation for this apparent madness?

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
MIT's pricing for their top tier is crazy. Funny thing though, you can usually get 50% off of msrp depending where you buy. Still, far from economical.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Imagine you were driving an older Honda Accord. You've been extremely happy with it, but felt that it was time for a new one. You walk into your Honda dealer and you find that the model introduced in 2009 is still available as a current model. In 2009 and until only a few months ago, the 2009 model sold for $24,990. But now it sells for the insane price of $35,990. How quickly would you walk out of that dealership?

What I'm referring to here specifically is the MIT Magnum M2.3 interconnect. I own several of these. The retail price was $2499 when I grabbed them - and I am pretty sure this was the original retail price when this was cable introduced in 2009. The retail price recently increased by $1100 to $3599 - a 44% increase!

Of course it's always been relatively easy to grab the Magnum M2.3 and other cables from this series for half off. But that still means that one needs to fork out 44% more for the M2.3 - a whopping $550 extra!

Per the inflation calculator at http://www.westegg.com/inflation, what cost $2499 in 2009 should be $2667 in 2012. So the increase due to inflation after three years is $168 - or $56 per year. MIT's increase was $1100 four years after this cable was introduced - which works out to $275 per year. MIT's price increase is almost 5x the rate of inflation.

For comparison, let's look at one of MIT's competitors: Nordost. The 1m Nordost Valhalla interconnect was $3300 when it first came out in 2001 (as best as I can tell). According to the inflation calculator, the price should have increased to $4276 in 2012. Guess what? The Valhalla sells for today for $4260!! The Valhalla was improved once in its lifetime (said to be a substantial bump), so a person buying the Valhalla today actually gets a better value. This is how it's supposed to be done!!!

[Of course Nordost has just come out with the Valhalla 2 that's priced at $9799 - 43% more than the Valhalla 1. But the Valhalla 2 is an entirely new and apparently a much improved cable. Unlike MIT, Nordost didn't just jack up the price of the original Valhalla by 44%.]

Alternatively there's MIT's Matrix series. But here the prices seem inflated as well. The now discontinued Magnum MA interconnect had 36 poles and retailed for $2499. It looks like the Magnum MA was replaced by the Matrix HD 36, which also has 36 poles. The HD 36 adds F.A.T. and increases the price by $1500 (60%) to $3999. The Magnum MA, if it were still around, would likely be priced at $3599 as the M2.3. So maybe F.A.T. only added $400 to the price - and the rest of the increase is the same extra fat (pun intended) that was added to the "dot 3" series. Just guessing with respect to the pricing here though. I sure wish it were easier to figure out MIT's various models and lineups. [Has anyone compared the HD 36 to the Magnum MA? If so, do you think it's worth the 60% price increase?]

I had been saving for quite some time in hopes of moving up to the next rung in MIT's "dot 3" lineup. So, as you'd imagine I am extremely bummed about this massive increase in price. The money I saved will no longer allow me to obtain the same level of improvements I would have gotten earlier this year prior to this massive price increase. As a long time MIT customer, this is a very tough pill to swallow, and I think it tells me that I should move on to a different brand. I had long thought that MIT delivered a good value for the price. But that no longer seems to be the case.

It seems that most audio manufacturers today are attempting to deliver a better bang for the buck. MIT appears to have gone way in the opposite direction, which seems insane given the state of the economy. Can anyone offer an explanation for this apparent madness?

Very simple Kenny, DON'T BUY NEW.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Price economics is decided at the individual buyer level, not in some undefined "marketplace." Obviously, Bruce thinks he has enough individuals willing to buy at these prices. If not, only HE will bear the consequences, not the "marketplace."

The real question for each buyer is whether greater pleasure can be derived from their system at these prices in other areas of their system, including the room itself. My guess is that the majority of Bruce's customers don't even know where to begin with room acoustics. If they did, I bet very few, if any, would spend that hard earned cash on cables, instead of proper acoustical evaluation and professional room setup/treatment recommendations and products.

I became a former MIT customer after I took my own advice. Once I did, it became easy to hear what cables really do to a system and what they don't do to a system.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If you want to buy MIT, check out matrixdude on audiogon; you can haggle for deeper discounts too.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Price economics is decided at the individual buyer level, not in some undefined "marketplace." Obviously, Bruce thinks he has enough individuals willing to buy at these prices. If not, only HE will bear the consequences, not the "marketplace."

The real question for each buyer is whether greater pleasure can be derived from their system at these prices in other areas of their system, including the room itself. My guess is that the majority of Bruce's customers don't even know where to begin with room acoustics. If they did, I bet very few, if any, would spend that hard earned cash on cables, instead of proper acoustical evaluation and professional room setup/treatment recommendations and products.

You may be right for a few buyers...most buyers who buy their top of the line cables have already addressed these issues and their systems are most likely SOTA, therefore the expenditure is justified if the buyer likes the synergy/sound of said cables in their system.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Would you put yourself in that camp? Your room is acoustically SOTA? That's quite a statement. I certainly never claimed to have SOTA room acoustics.

You may be right for a few buyers...most buyers who buy their top of the line cables have already addressed these issues and their systems are most likely SOTA, therefore the expenditure is justified if the buyer likes the synergy/sound of said cables in their system.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Would you put yourself in that camp? Your room is acoustically SOTA? That's quite a statement. I certainly never claimed to have SOTA room acoustics.

It's close enough for what it is... bass trapped and diffused....the only way to make the room SOTA is to buy another home and have the room built from scatch. I can assure you my room and setup sounds spectacular. The biggest factor in achieving that was moving away from digital.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
It's close enough for what it is... bass trapped and diffused....the only way to make the room SOTA is to buy another home and have the room built from scatch. I can assure you my room and setup sounds spectacular. The biggest factor in achieving that was moving away from digital.

Same here BUT for me it was moving away from popcorn vinyl ( 1983 ) never looked back.:)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Markups on MIT cables are crazy (industry high). No wonder you can buy any model at 50% off or more.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Markups on MIT cables are crazy (industry high). No wonder you can buy any model at 50% off or more.

Not only MIT cables but most cables have at least a 300% or more Markup NO I'M NOT KIDDING.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Not only MIT cables but most cables have at least a 300% or more Markup NO I'M NOT KIDDING.

Again Sir I must disagree with your statement. I have been a dealer for 40 years and I do not know of any real manufacturer of quality products that produces cables with anywhere near 300 percent markup. I have been an MIT, NORDOST, TRANSPARENT, Monster, Audioquest etc etc.
dealer and non of them have anywhere near that type of markup.
So Sir if you want to spread BS you need a different shovel!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Again Sir I must disagree with your statement. I have been a dealer for 40 years and I do not know of any real manufacturer of quality products that produces cables with anywhere near 300 percent markup. I have been an MIT, NORDOST, TRANSPARENT, Monster, Audioquest etc etc.

The most I've heard about is 75%, but I think industry standard is 66%

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

Sir it is you're right to disagree, being a dealer i understand, when the cable is bought in bulk and terminated at the store it"s much higher than 300%.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
How would you know? Has any manufacturer ever shown you their books? What difference does it make anyway? If the manufacturer can stay in business marking the price at 1000% plus cost, good for them.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sir it is you're right to disagree, being a dealer i understand, when the cable is bought in bulk and terminated at the store it"s much higher than 300%.

Now you are mixing apples and oranges with your popcorn vinyl. Your original statement was that most cables have a 300% markup. Now you have changed that to say cables bought in bulk and terminated by a dealer have a 300% markup. Most of the name brand high-end cables are not allowed to be terminated by a dealer. That is usually reserved for entry-level products.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
How do we define "markup" here? Dealer markup? I doubt many manufacturers can prescribe their dealers sell the cable at 75% profit; huge incentive for dealers to undercut official pricing, grey markets will pop up. Besides, why not get a bigger piece of the cake themselves.

However, margins of 300% defined as manufacturers' gross margin, are not unheard of, even outside the cabling industry. Gross margins on an iPhone were around 60% at some point (equivalent to 150% "markup"), and obviously a copy of a software program has astronomical gross margin.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing