Mixdown Dolby DIGITAL to Pro Logic !! :(

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Ineed your help guys with a problem that has been stumping me:

An old friend recently got a Cable Box from Comcast and a new Bluray player. The old gentlemen has a Pioneer Elite from the late 1990. Dolby Prologic. he has been using it for ever and knows it ways around it. He likes movies and his laserdiscs and love the High Defintion thing I forced on him ... OK,
Unsuspecting I purchase the Blu Ray that would suit his budget of less than 100... and the people from Comcast came with a Cable Box with HDMI output ..
His receiver, of course doesn't have HDMI ... but it seems that Comcast can provide a STB with some kind of analog RCA or stereo outputs.

Suddenly i am at a lost to how to connect the glorious Bluray DVD to his system .. I am trying to find one with a recent model with 5.1 output. The models tht fit his budget only have HDMI or a stereo or sometimes an SPDIF output which his receiver I am not sure can decode ...

What I want is a way to downmix the dolby or DTS digital digital channels into a prologic I or II format.. How do I do that ????
Essentialy a way to have those components output Dolby Prologic properly matixed on 2 Ch so that his receiver can decode it into this limited but at least working surround sound?

Help!!

What's the Best way to do it ?

;) to keep with the Forum spirit

P.S. getting a new receiver is out of the question he is close to 80 and has taken the past 20 years (almost) to master his remote control (fortunately, learning and with Macos) so ...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz-Does his receiver not have a digital SPDIF input? If it does, just take the SPDIF output from the Blue Ray player and plug that into his receiver. It should play back in Pro-Logic. As for the video connection, assuming the guy has a high-def TV, just plug the HDMI output from the Blue Ray player into the TV.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Ok Ibelieve the receiver has some kind of SPDIF doesn't seem to work cold be dust build-up ... I will try the L and Right jack and hear it out ..Man ... I had completely forgotten about Pro Logic ..things hav really changed.. I wasn't long ago that AC3 was a huge deal...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yeah, receivers from the late 90's did have digital Inputs (Coaxial or/and Optical).

That'll do the trick, and then his Pioneer will decode the audio signal from that connection into Dolby Pro Logic.
Good to go! :)

Oh, one more thing; when in doubt, EXPERIMENT. ;)

"...Audio is like Chemistry... And it is actually related." - Bob

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks guys I will.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing