Mod Wright

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Bob from the Philadelphia Orchestra agrees...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Modwright makes excellent equipment with high value to performance. BTW, Dan Wright is one of the nicest people in the business.

Reactions: dgale and dminches

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
While I don't have any of his specific h/w. I do have a # of pieces that he has mod'd. Does fine work.

Reactions: dgale

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Agree. Dan is a wonderful, down to earth guy that makes very high value products.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We wanted to carry Modwright back in the day when Dan was naming products according to the weights of his newborns :D They weren't ready to export then so we lost touch. Years later, we met right here in Manila. He's being represented now by a good friend of mine.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
He

What do you think about this brand.

I must say it is one of the best I've heard, and at the prices.

I play right now at 150SE as mono and pre 36.5.

I owned the 36.5 PS/LS two chassis combo. Good piece of gear, but cannot hold a candle to the ARC Ref 5SE. He appears to be a high integrity guy though - which is worth a lot when dealing with one man band operations.

Reactions: Golum

raychan2k

Jun 9, 2019
Can anyone kindly recommend a mod guy who can change the digital part of a DVD player? I want to have my new Pioneer Elite LX500 4K Bluray DVD player modified. Talked to Dan Wright of Modwright - he admitted that he neither has the skills nor the time to do the work. I am only using LX500 as a transport to be linked to Rockna Signature Balanced DAC via S/PDIF coax cable - not great. Ideally, a mod guy can take out the analog part of LX500, install a new power supply for the digital board and install an i2s board and connector to be linked to the Rockna DAC via HDMI cable (recommended by Rockna). LX-500 is indispensable to me - I watch loads of Blu-ray DVD operas and classical music concerts - this experience cannot be duplicated via CD or pure audio format. Can anyone refer me to a digital mod guy who is an equivalent to Dan Wright in the analog space? Thanks!

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Can anyone kindly recommend a mod guy who can change the digital part of a DVD player? I want to have my new Pioneer Elite LX500 4K Bluray DVD player modified. Talked to Dan Wright of Modwright - he admitted that he neither has the skills nor the time to do the work. I am only using LX500 as a transport to be linked to Rockna Signature Balanced DAC via S/PDIF coax cable - not great. Ideally, a mod guy can take out the analog part of LX500, install a new power supply for the digital board and install an i2s board and connector to be linked to the Rockna DAC via HDMI cable (recommended by Rockna). LX-500 is indispensable to me - I watch loads of Blu-ray DVD operas and classical music concerts - this experience cannot be duplicated via CD or pure audio format. Can anyone refer me to a digital mod guy who is an equivalent to Dan Wright in the analog space? Thanks!
Not sure whether he'd do this or not, but Ric Schultz at Electronic Visionary Systems might be worth checking with.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I owned the 36.5 PS/LS two chassis combo. Good piece of gear, but cannot hold a candle to the ARC Ref 5SE. He appears to be a high integrity guy though - which is worth a lot when dealing with one man band operations.
Had absolutely same feeling when moved to ARC Ref6 from 36.5DM which in full honesty is a good pcs of gear.

raychan2k

Jun 9, 2019
Ric Schultz said he does not do "one off" mod and has no interest in doing. Any one else can do digital mod? Perhaps it is too complicated for most people.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Ric Schultz said he does not do "one off" mod and has no interest in doing. Any one else can do digital mod? Perhaps it is too complicated for most people.
I was afraid that would be his response, but hoped he might consider doing yours as possible new mod for him to offer. Guess he doesn't think it would have enough demand to justify the time required. Another possibility would be Noble Electronics who is very experienced with digital gear modifications and they appear to do custom mods. Again I can't be sure about your specific mod but it would be worth contacting them to inquire about the possibility.

raychan2k

Jun 9, 2019
I was afraid that would be his response, but hoped he might consider doing yours as possible new mod for him to offer. Guess he doesn't think it would have enough demand to justify the time required. Another possibility would be Noble Electronics who is very experienced with digital gear modifications and they appear to do custom mods. Again I can't be sure about your specific mod but it would be worth contacting them to inquire about the possibility.
Talked to Greg of Noble Electronics - he does not do digital mod of this kind. Must be very difficult to find a qualified and willing digital mod guy. As it is, the new Pioneer Elite LX500 is outstanding, miles ahead of Oppo 203 (used only as a transport) and Cambridge Audio transport only 4K Bluray players (based on Oppo) - I sold the latter two as soon as I got LX500 - no comparison here. I can live with LX500 but it could be so much better if modified the right way.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
There is a pretty good chance the dvd player does not use i2s internally. The mod in this case will be seriously complex and certainly not worth doing. Not to mention the complication of integrating dsd...Little wonder there are no volunteers.

raychan2k

Jun 9, 2019
Ric Schultz pointed me to the Korean guy at his website - http://www.oppomod.com/contact.html. The Korean guy has done to Oppo 203 what I have in mind for Pioneer Elite LX500. I think it can be done, but it all depends whether there are many consumers who have the same need. Oppo is overrated - used as a transport in all cases, the LX500 is miles ahead of Oppo 203 or Cambridge Audio UDP 4K Bluray DVD transport (based on Oppo's format) in sound quality (as well as build quality).

Last edited:

jeffb28451

Jan 4, 2023
Dan is a great guy and makes superb, excellent value for dollar gear!

I bought a used KW-150 and was using my fav power cord, which is extremely stiff.
I caused a problem at the AC IEC in and blew a rail fuse. Dan walked me through the replacement and
contacted me 3 times, including pics, to make sure I didn't have to ship it back or do other damage.

The piece is beautiful, reliable and customer service is through the roof! I see that prices have gone up
a bit since my purchase, but with this combination of factors, I'd happily purchase Modwright again.

I have three systems, tubes, SS, analog, etc. Been in this hobby for 45 years and have a bit of experience with
other brands flashy, unreliable, poor service, "boat anchor" problems, so Modwright seems a good investment
in system stability, service and sound. I'd go with an A+ and an "attaboy" Dan!

Reactions: Golum and modwright

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing