Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
What is that the electrical phase??

Rob :)
Group delay of the drivers, xover point 600hz and 2.3khz, steep-edged filters, this is what the phase sequence looks like. Impulse-optimized loudspeaker (3 way) to simultaneously address the drivers. With active speakers, the treble and midrange are often slowed down so that they work at the same time. The Neumann pictured does this almost perfectly.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
You disassembled the tweeter and midrange domes so they could actually touch them. You are the best, congratulations. The bass is papercone with Zylon coating. With the new 5000, Yamaha had learned from the past. They made all the drivers out of Zylon. It sounds more homogeneous. Zylon is harder then metal or carbon is used in racing boats. only for information.
Sorry Stephan using very direct expression on my last post. I just wanted to point out how frustrating those beryllium drivers on Yamaha speakers. I think we both agree that they don’t sound good for us.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Sorry Stephan using very direct expression on my last post. I just wanted to point out how frustrating those beryllium drivers on Yamaha speakers. I think we both agree that they don’t sound good for us.
All fine, don't fits my tube amplifiers and my taste. But anyone who owns these classics should read them carefully and recreate them.

Reactions: mtemur

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
VC's should never flex. The leads to them are not the same material.

I thought some of the older compression drivers routed the VC wire through the tangential surrounds and it was a common failure point? Maybe not?

So what's your objection to aluminum?

Attachments

• 677F0B9A-95CE-410E-94B6-7AE0B2C09212.jpg
    677F0B9A-95CE-410E-94B6-7AE0B2C09212.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I thought some of the older compression drivers routed the VC wire through the tangential surrounds and it was a common failure point? Maybe not?

So what's your objection to aluminum?

Sure but again the leads are not the same as the VC. That is why on cones of lots of drivers you see the two dimples, it is where the leads are soldered to the VC.

VCs are not braided, they're just a solid core. That is one easy way to tell looking behind a driver.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Sure but again the leads are not the same as the VC. That is why on cones of lots of drivers you see the two dimples, it is where the leads are soldered to the VC.

VCs are not braided, they're just a solid core. That is one easy way to tell looking behind a driver.

Hello

I understand that typically there are multistrand tinsel leads soldered into eyelets. Compression drivers usually use aluminum VC wire/ribbon. In the photo's I posted it's not tinsel lead but ribbon like the coil. And there were failures using a ribbon. Here is a better picture. Can't say for sure if it's VC ribbon or a copper ribbon bonded to the VC at the form.

That's why I brought up fatigue. The early Aluminum diaphragm's were life limited depending on use because of embrittlement from repeated flexing. The surrounds would literally shatter.

Attachments

• DSC5588.jpg
    DSC5588.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ya, sure, there are lots of combos. I was primarily refering to any kind of a woofer like found in Klangs, Diatones, Tannoys, Electro-voice, etc. Compression drivers are another bag of worms. The focus on old vs new tends to not be on the compression drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robh3606

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Heard these Eurodyn which were without the baffle. the baffle is kept at the side as it does not fit this room.

they were being driven Great by these partridge transformers AD1 amp with all Telefunken originals for output drivers and rectifier.

it is kept up on a stool in front of the “Altec”

this guy sold off 4 pairs of the Eurodyn, this Ian last. The tonality is very similar to the bionor and Euronor even without the Kondo. Only digital set up unfortunately.

the metal horn is replaced by a wooden one

78BB20AA-2C42-4814-96E5-20E728DC1B50.jpeg

73CC5E44-227B-4BD9-AE6C-02AF40E0E7DC.jpeg

A86565C1-FDDE-4F60-8913-71337CDB9CDF.jpeg

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If he had out the baffle this is what it would look like

4BFB3CDF-4496-47EB-83FB-D5D1DEDD1FD3.jpeg

0C04F13C-2A38-40AD-8A4B-F139998AF4D2.jpeg

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
The madness Continues :)

This is like looking at an suped up EFI turbo charged model T with disc brakes ..!

Audio , you gotta love it .. :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo, you could not convince him to rev up that turntable? Interesting shape and size for the Eurodyn baffle. Subwoffers in the ceiling? I've only heard that once at Romy's place.

no that thing in the ceiling is not a sub, it doesn’t do anything.

he is 84, and won’t be setting up tables now.

i did lift those klangfilm speakers and put them as directed and came back to listen to them the next day.

regarding speakers in the ceiling, my old Altec report shows 4 woofers each side in the wall. But that didn’t work well. Hiraga told me the best system he ever heard was that of Kaneda in Japan which is an Onken Altec mix quadraamped with 4 woofers for each channel in the ceiling and stone horns and stuff.

Eurodyn baffles have many shapes

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing