Modernist sous-vide char siew

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
This is a traditional Chinese dish and can be found in ANY Chinese restaurant that sells "Chinese BBQ". This stuff is usually pretty cheap, so why should you bother to make it at home? So that you can be more bold with the flavours, that's why! Did you know that char siu has ginger in it? Can you actually taste the soy in the soy sauce? Why not amp it up a little?

This is my variation on the traditional recipe which has a more pronounced ginger and soy punch. Sous-vide'ing the pork prior to cooking is definitely not traditional - it allows me to use a less fatty cut, so it is healthier. The prolonged cooking time also packs the meat full of flavour - which makes up for the lower fat content. If you are planning to cook it the traditional way, you need a cut which has more fat. Pork belly is the traditional cut.

INGREDIENTS

The quantities given below are for my recipe. For a traditional method, see comments.

- Japanese soy sauce (3T) - use 6T if omitting the fermented soybean paste
- Oyster sauce (5T)
- Sesame oil (1t)
- Fermented soybean paste (3T) - optional
- Honey (3T)
- Malt extract (3T)
- Five spice powder (1T)
- White pepper (1T)
- Hsiaoxing wine (5T),
- Ginger (3cm, minced) - either omit or reduce the quantity if you do not like ginger
- Garlic cloves (4, minced)
- Pork neck (2kg) - use pork belly if not planning to sous-vide

METHOD

Mix all marinade ingredients together and leave to marinade in a sealed plastic bag overnight. Preheat a sous-vide bath to 62C, then sous-vide for 18 hours. After the sous-vide, allow the pork to rest to room temperature. Drain off the liquid from the bag, then reduce over high heat until thick and sticky. Return the pork to the marinade and fire up the BBQ.

If using pork belly, make sure you trim all the skin and as much fat as possible before marinading.

If not using sous-vide, simply remove the pork from the marinade and reduce the marinade over high heat as above, then return the pork to the marinade and proceed to the next step.

Chargrill over open flame, basting frequently. When you get little burnt bits, the pork is ready. Slice thinly as shown above.

Dinner tonight: chicken rice with char siu and choy sum.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Steve, I use a rice cooker. You can see in this thread and others that I prepare my rice according to my preference - I like the grains to be individual and have a slight bite to it. Most Asians prefer their rice a little softer.

As for what cookbooks I use, it might be off topic for this thread. Ask me in the other subforum and i'll show you some of the books I recommend.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
will do and thanks

I use a Zojirushi NP-HTC10 and am very happy with it. I'm interested what if anything beyond water you add to the cooker for better rice.

Also do you have a preference as to which rice you enjoy most

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Steve my rice cooker is more primitive than yours. Mine is a Breville "dumb" rice cooker. It only has two modes - "cook" and "keep warm" :) I have quite a few rice recipes, but what I eat most often is plain steamed rice, with nothing added. I am not a Korean (who tend to add barley to their rice) or a Japanese (who might add vinegar) or an Indian or Arab (who add other flavourings like saffron, garlic, etc or even almond and raisins). I use Jasmine rice from Thailand - it is cheap and good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing