Modified/Upgraded Pathos TT RR

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I've been posting about what is the 2nd and more extensive round of upgrades to my 2006 Pathos TT RR integrated amp in the General forum. See my previous posts under "Pathos TT RR Mods/Upgrades - 2, but this forum is probably the better place. 1st photo is the interior of the recently completed heavily modified version which includes, among other things: replacing the internal wiring with Stage Three Concepts and Dueland tinned copper hookup wire; replacing many of the resistors with Vishay Z-Foil; replacing the 1uf coupling caps with Dueland Cast Pio Tinned Cooper Film (the huge ones in the photo); replacing the (non-working) volume control circuitry with a vintage Alps Black Beauty; adding Bybee Music Rails; and replacing the main and power transistor boards and the four big red caps on the other side with Pathos' latest versions. As I mentioned at the other forum, nearing 500 hours since the mods it "shifted gears" last night to a level of performance that is all that I could hope for from breakin. Within its limits (35 w/ch and benign speaker impedance curves) I cannot remember hearing an amp (integrated or separates) that I would trade it for in 40+ years of listening to systems at audio shows, dealers, and audiophiles' homes. IMG_1745 (1)-1.JPG

Pathos TT stock.jpg

Reactions: dkrm and ayreman

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
The Pathos TT was first offered for sale in the mid-to-late 1990's and Pathos is still selling it. The 1999 Absolute Sound review (link below) should give you some idea why I've twice modified/upgraded it instead of buying a newer design. From the technical sidebar: "The Inpol circuit, matched with the appropriate speaker load, is in fact nearly distortionless below clipping simply because it lacks any mechanism for producing distortion". The parts upgrades and a superior power cable have eliminated the deficiency in bass heft noted in the review.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing