Mola Mola amps

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
Wondering if any folks heard or experienced these class D amps which are pretyy high end

some history ....

Bruno spent nearly a decade honing his skills at Philips's Leuven, Belgium based Applied Technologies Lab before fleeing the roost to chart his own path. At the time, Putzeys believed (and still does) that the future of amplifier design lies squarely in the Class D universe, a perspective apparently not shared by Philips at the time.
Liberated from the design limitations imposed by Philips, Bruno hit the ground running. His first major claim to fame came when he designed the Universal class-D (UcD) power amp module, the subsequent N-Core amplifier modules, and various switch-mode power supplies, all for Hypex. In case you didn't know, Hypex sells these building block components to other audio manufacturers. Hypex also offers DIY amp kits based on Bruno's Class D amp modules for all the Saturday afternoon audio tinkerers out there. The list of firms and products that use Putzeys-authored components includes Grimm Audio, in its AD1 all-discrete DSD analog-to-digital converter, LS loudspeaker range, and related Grimm Audio professional-grade gear; Kii Audio's Three loudspeaker; upper crust amps from companies like MBL and Theta, and down to earth companies like NAD, each of whom utilizes the N-Core Class D amplifier module in their product lines, a testament both to that unit's incredible adaptability and inherent good sound (not to mention outstanding measured performance).
In short, Putzeys may be the most influential audio designer currently working that most audiophiles have never heard of.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/mola-mola-kaluga-amplifiers/

Reactions: Scott W

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
yes i heard that recently , have you heard the mola mola ?
Yes, several times in different systems. Unfortunately I found them to be too dry in the high frequencies and just too analytical for my taste, but many seem to love them. I'm looking forward to hearing his latest incarnation as finished products become available.

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
yes we are all so different in our tastes , in the Uk we have coherant audio with tony sallis . he once modded a pair of ref 1000 for me and the difference was massive ! whatever he did was very good

Last edited:

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
yes we are all so different in our tastes , in the Uk we have coherant audio with tony sallis . he once modded a pair of ref 1000 for me and the difference was massive ! whatever he did was very good
Are you referring to Bel Canto Ref 1000 amps? Those use an older Class D module (from B&O ICE if I recall) prior to Hypex or N-Core.

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
yes thats right , an early version of ice power amps .

i think the ref 500s and 500m have a later version of icepower chip , hope to have a 500s in a few days to play with

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing