mola mola Tambaqui

Davidny

Nov 29, 2014
Has anybody heard this DAC what are your impression
I’ve had the Tambagui DAC since the beginning of this year. I’m very happy with it. Beats the PS Audio Directstream DAC which it replaced by a wide margin.
If you’re located in the US, ask Bill Parish at GTT Audio, he offers an in home trial.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Just picked up a Tambaqui a week ago. It is crazy good! Was using a Schiit Yggy before this. Tambaqui is much quieter. Much clearer window into the sound. Have not directly compared to pricier dac's out there yet, but think it would fair quite well against anything.

Davidny

Nov 29, 2014
I’m glad that you like it! What are you using in front of your Tambaqui?

I have a 4TB external SSD Drive = USB = Nucleus Plus = ethernet - switch = ethernet = Auralic Aries G2 streamer = USB = Tambaqui = Preamp = amps = speakers

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Right now I'm using a fanless win 7 PC with Lynx card outputting spidf. Have a SonicTransporter I9 with roon server ordered so I can try out the ethernet input and Roon. May also try optical isolation in the near future. I am also using an external usb drive.

Have you tried the ethernet input on your Tambaqui yet?

Davidny

Nov 29, 2014
Going from a PC to a dedicated server / streamer should be a positive improvement.
On my Tambaqui, USB sounds better than Ethernet
But I’m using Kubala-Sosna cables for USB, Ethernet and AC power. I also added a HDPLEX 200W linear power supply for the Nucleus, external SSD and switch. Every change upstream has had an incremental improvement on the end result, go figure...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Interesting. Seems like the more resolving a system gets the more small things make a difference.

I am, and will be using a LPS for the new server.

Was hoping to avoid USB. Liked Lynx spidf better. Any experience with optical ethernet isolation?

Davidny

Nov 29, 2014
Have not tried optical.
I’m getting very good results. But there are always new things to try!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Darko is good!!! :D

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Darko is good!!! :D

Interesting to see John Darko point up his reviewing of gear in price point... I often felt his choice to stay at a basic level of gear limited his exposure to hi-end and also made it hard for him to really assess what components were doing. His choice to use great music rather than just great recordings to assess gear is also good in terms of accessibility.

Here he is talking more hi-end and reviewing gear at a much higher level than usual and his analysis, language and understanding now point to a greater capacity. His limits might still come from the standard of his own system as a reference.

Many reviewers leap towards the sky early, I’d love to see Darko’s focus move up the hi-end chain more regularly, he clearly has gifts as both a reviewer and a communicator. He has authenticity and this is the most essential quality to bring to the role as a foundation.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Many reviewers leap towards the sky early, I’d live to see his focus move up, he clearly has gifts as a reviewer and a communicator.
Agree with you 100%! :D

Echos

Jul 14, 2019
This dac has not been reviewed much here...i wonder why that is. Have ppl not hearD it or does the sq not justify the price point.

Davidny

Nov 29, 2014
Reactions: gipe

Echos

Jul 14, 2019
Thanks, i had. It was more on this forum that i was after. For example there is a ton of positive and glowing Lampi experiences :) but very limited tamabaqui ones.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I like the Tambaqui. I have heard the Mola DAC in both its forms -- integrated into the preamp and stand alone. To me it is has a warm sound while still having lots of details. I liked it better than the Gryphon Kalliope which has the details but was much more aggressive in how it presented them. I think the Tambaqui is an excellent performer at its price point. The form factor/design is a little unusual and would be either somethin you love or not.

Scott at SupraHifi could hook you up with a demo.

Reactions: Echos

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I like the Tambaqui. I have heard the Mola DAC in both its forms -- integrated into the preamp and stand alone. To me it is has a warm sound while still having lots of details. I liked it better than the Gryphon Kalliope which has the details but was much more aggressive in how it presented them. I think the Tambaqui is an excellent performer at its price point. The form factor/design is a little unusual and would be either somethin you love or not.

Scott at SupraHifi could hook you up with a demo.
Hiya
i have only heard in the integrated pre/dac any difference in sound with standalone ?

Echos

Jul 14, 2019
Not sure about the diff between the integrated vs tambaqui. Such a revealing dac, it truly does shine the light on both good and bad recordings. Love the detail, the clarity, the soundstage both height and width. Its a great experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing