Momentum Stereo vs Mono blocks

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi guys

Interested in the thoughts of anyone who has gone from Momentum Stereo to the mono blocks or spent a bit of time listening to each.

What does the mono block to better and what does the Stereo amp do better in the delivery of music and control of them speakers

Is it even worthwhile going to the mono blocks!

cheers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi. I have a limited amount of experience in listening to the same system on both some time ago. I can only give impressions, nothing particularly definitive. I will add the comments of the dealer who set up the system and spent a lot more time with both.

- Some say the Momentum Stereo comes across as a bit 'sweeter' in mids, and the Monos as more straight up in their delivery
- I did not get the sense with the Momentum Stereo on the big Wilsons they were faltering under the load at anytime...but i equally did not get the sense i was in the presence of endless unlimited power (like the Boulder 2060). Did i get the sense there was unlimited power in the room with the monos? Interestingly, i suppose the sound was pretty all-out, but i do not remember that being a feeling when i was there either.
- I cannot speak to detail retrieval as both were excellent and not enough time with either to really make a call...again these are just impressions

I think the dealer personally preferred the stereo over the monos...because of that 'sweetness'.

As for the ultimate question...would one go with monos when using a Maxx3, i think the question is: what are the key things you would be looking for the monos to do? Drive them more dynamically, more effortlessly, with greater separation? If so, i would say try it and suspect YES, it would be 'better' on that score...for the money, possibly worth it if you get a great deal on the monos (ie, 2nd hand/part trade-in on demo pair, etc). However, I also suspect the Momentums are giving your Maxx3's pretty good control though...so i cannot say with the Maxx3s kind of load if the step up to Monos would be dramatic enough to pay 2x for amplification.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, I did give these a listen on my last trip to Spore. Infact the mono's were what I preferred very much over the Pass Labs mono's. I also listened to the Pass labs "XS" series, and comparatively these were far superior to the other versions. Speakers were two types, one from Wilson Sophia's and the other was a Magico Q5. Both were great being driven off the Momentum mono amps, it has a sense of immediacy to the sound. Lots of superlative bass control, transients and fantastic slam more with the Momentum mono's compared to the stereo version.

Then, the chap changed over to a pair of Magnepan 20.7's, and the momentum stereo kicked in very nicely, with excellent control and fantastic staging. This leads to another post I have made under maggies vs ribbons, where I had one of the best ribbon panel auditions so far to date.

The mono amps are by far the better set up. However, this all depends on exactly how much one can stretch their bank account... If you can't like me, then a fine top of the line stereo amp will just suit fine. If you can afford it, go for it!
Cheers, RJ

Apr 21, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I just had the mono amps in my system to hear my Maxx 3's on different amps courtesy of my local dealer. I should have never hooked them up in my system. I only had them a few hours before they took them to be inserted into a Wilson XLF based system. I have owned tubed monoblocks in the past, and this is the first solid state amplifier that reminds me of that wonderful feeling without having to replace tubes as they age. I will try and borrow the stereo amp for comparison. I now know it will be one or the other I will buy most likely by the end of this year.

Attachments

joeinid

Mar 15, 2011
NY
If you love the stereo, you'll love the monos. These are lifetime amps and you are not one to change gear on a whim. My advice, buy them and don't look back. Life is too short . I'd love the stereo amp again but would trade looks for a lower price.

Apr 21, 2010
Dallas,Texas
XV-1,

Just curious if you made a change or stayed with your stereo momentum?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
XV-1,

Just curious if you made a change or stayed with your stereo momentum?
Hi Sharp 1080

Joe is correct. In my system I overall preferred the Dag Stereo amp.

The monoblocks are just gorgeous sounding with superb 3d imaging, layering of soundstage and an ease of delivery at lower volumes. The Stereo was slightly more compact and a little more forward.

In comparison the monoblocks were slightly more bottom end weighted where the Stereo was more light on its feet so to speak.

The monoblocks are very smooth and composed, whereas the Stereo has just a little more bite/forwardness in its lower treble giving most lead instruments that liveliness and attack I like with my rock/pop/alternate/electronic music.

I could see in another system with different musical tastes, the monoblocks would be well worth the extra coin as they are amazing.

But for me, in the end in my system the Stereo Dag sounded best.

cheers

with Stereo and monoblocks

16577166202_e1080d43a4_c.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Sharp 1080

Joe is correct. In my system I overall preferred the Dag Stereo amp.

The monoblocks are just gorgeous sounding with superb 3d imaging, layering of soundstage and an ease of delivery at lower volumes...

...In comparison the monoblocks were slightly more bottom end weighted where the Stereo was more light on its feet so to speak.

The monoblocks are very smooth and composed, whereas the Stereo has just a little more bite/forwardness in its lower treble giving most lead instruments that liveliness and attack I like with my rock/pop/alternate/electronic music.

I could see in another system with different musical tastes, the monoblocks would be well worth the extra coin as they are amazing.

But for me, in the end in my system the Stereo Dag sounded best.

cheers

with Stereo and monoblocks
Hi XV-1, interesting feedback. I know a few dealers and a distributor who personally preferred the stereo version as well...they called it 'sweetness' vs absolute linearity...but seemed they also preferred listening to music thru the stereo version due to the 'swing factor'.

from your own description, do i understand perhaps you feel the monos were more 'composed'...while the Stereo had more 'verve', more 'swing' in your system? Just trying to reconcile the various comments which seem consistent with each other.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
after 2 months away @ Dan's factory being upgraded , the S250 is back. Sounds even better after a couple of hours listening. will need to wait for another month before I can fully hear and feel the new amp, as off on a family holiday in the morning.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
after 2 months away @ Dan's factory being upgraded , the S250 is back. Sounds even better after a couple of hours listening. will need to wait for another month before I can fully hear and feel the new amp, as off on a family holiday in the morning.

This is definitely a "Tourbillon" amp.

Tang :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing