MOR = Magnum Opus ReDiscovered. Exceptional Re-Issues.

Must-Have Re-Issues
These albums will make your system sing, truly remarkable albums both musically & sonically.
Classic albums that we have all heard countless times, but never at this sound quality. The cheapest improvement to your system. Enjoy.

Dire Straits.jpg

Dire Straits - Dire Straits. Mobile Fidelity, 45 RPM, 2LP. Original release 1978

When first released in Ireland in 1978, Dire Straits’ debut was an immediate sensation, here was a fully formed band with an inspired lead guitarist and truly memorable songs. Catapulted by the single “Sultans of Swing”, the album went to Top Ten throughout Europe. After having lived through the U.K.’s punk period in the mid-seventies, when lo-fi recording quality was the norm, it was refreshing to discover the first Dire Straits album, original music with great sound quality. Mark Knofler has such a distinctive guitar style.

If you were a Dire Straits fan during your College days, you’ll want to upgrade to this; it is a HUGE sonic improvement over every previous release. Well developed, driving bass, that distinctive guitar, coupled with terrific, memorable songs. This is my fifth copy of the album on vinyl; this is the one to own.

Dave Brubeck - Time Out.jpg

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out, 200g 45rpm 2LP. Original release 1959.

Virtually all serious and even casual music lovers ought to be familiar with, or at least are likely to have heard The Dave Brubeck Quartet, even without realizing it for the quartet's best-known hit "Take Five" has graced the soundtracks of multiple films, including "Mighty Aphrodite," "Pleasantville" and "Constantine."

The piece is famous for its distinctive, catchy saxophone melody, as well as its use of unusual 5/4 time so distinctive, it's a rare jazz track that became a pop hit.
Time Out is a jazz and audiophile classic. Every music collection needs a copy. And now, mastered by Bernie Grundman and cut at 45 RPM on 200-gram premium vinyl, pressed at Quality Record Pressings, Analogue Productions brings you the definitive copy. The new reference.

Joan Armatrading.jpg

Joan Armatrading 180g LP. Original release 1976

I am not in love
But I'm open to persuasion
East or West
Where's the best
For romancing

When I first heard Love & Affection in 1976, I was smitten. Great vocals, smart lyrics, and wonderful delivery. I could empathise with the young woman’s exhilaration at being in love. The male backing vocal, which has been described as a "honeyed baritone", was performed by American actor and singer Clarke Peters. The alto saxophone was by Gallagher and Lyle session player Jimmy Jewell. The rest of the album was equally compelling with its mixture of acoustic folk, tinged with jazz, and the occasional rock seasoning. A remarkable confluence of gifted folk singer/songwriter meets a rock producer delivering an album fleshed out with some of England’s finest folk & rock musicians.

Joan Armatrading’s self-titled, third album has aged well, and deservedly so. Kudos to A&M for hiring Glyn Johns as engineer & producer to provide a muscular edge to this unique West Indian folkie. Glyn Johns In 1971 worked as engineer/producer on The Who's - Who's Next, the Faces’ - A Nod Is as Good as a Wink...to a Blind Horse, and the Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers.
So in 1976, Joan Armatrading surrounded herself with some choice English musicians; including Jerry Donahue of Fairport Convention who provided superb guitar on both Love and Affection and Save Me. Bryn Haworth’s played slide guitar on "Like Fire" and mandolin on "Somebody Who Loves You" which added some nice texture. Drummers Dave Mattacks (Fairport Convention) and Kenney Jones (Faces, Small faces & The Who) were employed by Glyn Johns as appropriate to the different songs.

Like the Dire Straits debut album, here was a new talent, who arrived fully formed with a unique style & delivery. (Though this was her third album; she was “new” to me. and I was gob-smacked by this muscular folk-rock album. Four decades later, her songs are fresh & moving as ever, and a real window into the heart of a young woman. "Down to Zero" captures the essence of heartbreak; "Water with the Wine" describes the joyful regret a young woman feels after having been seduced.
This is both an audiophile demo disc, with depth, realism, breathing dimensionality, and a music lover’s delight. Highest recommendation.

Happy listening,
Philip

P.S. If you are an admirer of Dire Straits albums, you might also consider "Love Over Gold" - also super @ 45 RPM from MoFi.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Must-Have Re-Issues
These albums will make your system sing, truly remarkable albums both musically & sonically.
Classic albums that we have all heard countless times, but never at this sound quality. The cheapest improvement to your system. Enjoy.

Dire Straits.jpg

Dire Straits - Dire Straits. Mobile Fidelity, 45 RPM, 2LP. Original release 1978

When first released in Ireland in 1978, Dire Straits’ debut was an immediate sensation, here was a fully formed band with an inspired lead guitarist and truly memorable songs. Catapulted by the single “Sultans of Swing”, the album went to Top Ten throughout Europe. After having lived through the U.K.’s punk period in the mid-seventies, when lo-fi recording quality was the norm, it was refreshing to discover the first Dire Straits album, original music with great sound quality. Mark Knofler has such a distinctive guitar style.

If you were a Dire Straits fan during your College days, you’ll want to upgrade to this; it is a HUGE sonic improvement over every previous release. Well developed, driving bass, that distinctive guitar, coupled with terrific, memorable songs. This is my fifth copy of the album on vinyl; this is the one to own.

Dave Brubeck - Time Out.jpg

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out, 200g 45rpm 2LP. Original release 1959.

Virtually all serious and even casual music lovers ought to be familiar with, or at least are likely to have heard The Dave Brubeck Quartet, even without realizing it for the quartet's best-known hit "Take Five" has graced the soundtracks of multiple films, including "Mighty Aphrodite," "Pleasantville" and "Constantine."

The piece is famous for its distinctive, catchy saxophone melody, as well as its use of unusual 5/4 time so distinctive, it's a rare jazz track that became a pop hit.
Time Out is a jazz and audiophile classic. Every music collection needs a copy. And now, mastered by Bernie Grundman and cut at 45 RPM on 200-gram premium vinyl, pressed at Quality Record Pressings, Analogue Productions brings you the definitive copy. The new reference.

Joan Armatrading.jpg

Joan Armatrading 180g LP. Original release 1976

I am not in love
But I'm open to persuasion
East or West
Where's the best
For romancing

When I first heard Love & Affection in 1976, I was smitten. Great vocals, smart lyrics, and wonderful delivery. I could empathise with the young woman’s exhilaration at being in love. The male backing vocal, which has been described as a "honeyed baritone", was performed by American actor and singer Clarke Peters. The alto saxophone was by Gallagher and Lyle session player Jimmy Jewell. The rest of the album was equally compelling with its mixture of acoustic folk, tinged with jazz, and the occasional rock seasoning. A remarkable confluence of gifted folk singer/songwriter meets a rock producer delivering an album fleshed out with some of England’s finest folk & rock musicians.

Joan Armatrading’s self-titled, third album has aged well, and deservedly so. Kudos to A&M for hiring Glyn Johns as engineer & producer to provide a muscular edge to this unique West Indian folkie. Glyn Johns In 1971 worked as engineer/producer on The Who's - Who's Next, the Faces’ - A Nod Is as Good as a Wink...to a Blind Horse, and the Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers.
So in 1976, Joan Armatrading surrounded herself with some choice English musicians; including Jerry Donahue of Fairport Convention who provided superb guitar on both Love and Affection and Save Me. Bryn Haworth’s played slide guitar on "Like Fire" and mandolin on "Somebody Who Loves You" which added some nice texture. Drummers Dave Mattacks (Fairport Convention) and Kenney Jones (Faces, Small faces & The Who) were employed by Glyn Johns as appropriate to the different songs.

Like the Dire Straits debut album, here was a new talent, who arrived fully formed with a unique style & delivery. (Though this was her third album; she was “new” to me. and I was gob-smacked by this muscular folk-rock album. Four decades later, her songs are fresh & moving as ever, and a real window into the heart of a young woman. "Down to Zero" captures the essence of heartbreak; "Water with the Wine" describes the joyful regret a young woman feels after having been seduced.
This is both an audiophile demo disc, with depth, realism, breathing dimensionality, and a music lover’s delight. Highest recommendation.

Happy listening,
Philip

P.S. If you are an admirer of Dire Straits albums, you might also consider "Love Over Gold" - also super @ 45 RPM from MoFi.
Agree these are great albums and recordings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing