Morch dp8

Stevied

Dec 10, 2018
My first thread so please be kind:)

Looking to upgrade my tonearm and the Morch dp8 is the one I’m most interested in.

Any one use one and how does it sound

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Looking to upgrade my tonearm and the Morch dp8 is the one I’m most interested in.

Ask zerostargeneral he had one. Fremer has also written a review.

rockhopper

Sep 10, 2014
Malvern Worcestershire UK
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.
Have used a DP8 for nearly 3 years. .
Once setup it is very assured in tracking and is supreme in the bass department.
I have no negatives. It just sounds wonderful.
At the moment I am using a ZYX 4D with Blue dot precision wand and Benz LPS with red dot precision wand.
Kedar, Bonzo75 has heard mine when he visited in Scotland.

Last edited:

Stevied

Dec 10, 2018
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum.
Have used a DP8 for nearly 3 years. .
Once setup it is very assured in tracking and is supreme in the bass department.
I have no negatives. It just sounds wonderful.
At the moment I am using a ZYX 4D with Blue dot precision wand and Benz LPS with red dot precision wand.
Dev, Bonzo75 has heard mine when he visited in Scotland.

That’s a good recommendation Thanks

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

I owned one and used with a 301 and Madake. It was a decent tracker although takes a little more setting up than normal but still pretty straightforward. Bass was decent and I found it pretty poised and balanced overall. I moved onto linear tracking thereafter via the Vyger so can’t draw any comparisons. It is very versatile allowing different length arm tubes also!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Though I rarely have my TT in the system these days, I used a DP6 for years before the DP8 existed. I couldn't really fault it sonically with a Transfiguration Orpheus.

But what I really think is excellent on the DP6 or 8 is the arm wand. Not only does it make it easy to mount a diverse range of cartridges in the first place, but with multiple arm wands you can swap carts in and out very quickly. 30 seconds if you are good.

Reactions: Stevied

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I have ordered a DP8 from Mehran at Sorasound as an upgrade for a Tecnoarm on my Orbe turntable. Should be up and running in a few weeks as I will need to get a new arm board custom made from Michell. Will be using my new Lyra Delos with a precision red dot arm wand. Very excited!

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I am sure it'll be a really good match. I run my DP6 in a Michell Gyro that is 'Orbified'.

Yours should be that bit better;)

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Thanks User211!
Got a very fair deal on the arm. As you know with Orbes and Gyros, you are limited to 1 kilogram for tonearm and armboard, which limits your arm choices. The new Grahams, Kuzmazs, Triplanars are too heavy. My first inclination was to go with the SME V, but due to them no longer selling arms only, prices of remaining inventory shot up (if you could find one). I think the Moerch arms look beautiful (I ordered mine in chrome, would never get the gold, and at $700 more the black version was too costly, trying to keep the cost of the arm below the cost of the table), should look good on my Orbe.
These arms don’t seem to get much attention. They are priced substantially below the big name arms, and after scouring the internet, have yet to read of anyone not liking the DP8 after trying it. Should be a major upgrade for me.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I think you'll find it sounds really natural and easy on an Orbe. There's nothing I can find to dislike about a DP6, never mind a DP8.

Andrew Ma

Oct 20, 2015
I having been using DP8 for sometimes, the most important of all is to have the correct overhang settings as the instruction mentioned 13.3mm.

Having the overhang setted correctly, the sound different is huge.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I having been using DP8 for sometimes, the most important of all is to have the correct overhang settings as the instruction mentioned 13.3mm.

Having the overhang setted correctly, the sound different is huge.

Thanks for the info Andrew.
I will be using a Dr. Fieckert Alignment gauge to set overhang, as well as the protractor that came with the arm. As well, the custom armboard from JA Michell should insure the proper spindle to pivot distance. Still waiting on the armboard, according to Artech (the Michell distributor in Canada, due to the weight of the DP8 the armboard is only 14 mm thick and uses special 20mm high spacers to get the arm to the right height to use on the table.
Can't wait to get it all up and running!

Andrew Ma

Oct 20, 2015
Thanks for the info Andrew.
I will be using a Dr. Fieckert Alignment gauge to set overhang, as well as the protractor that came with the arm. As well, the custom armboard from JA Michell should insure the proper spindle to pivot distance. Still waiting on the armboard, according to Artech (the Michell distributor in Canada, due to the weight of the DP8 the armboard is only 14 mm thick and uses special 20mm high spacers to get the arm to the right height to use on the table.
Can't wait to get it all up and running!
When I purchased DP8 a couple of years ago, they did not come with their Protractor, it is a good news if they come with that.
The reason of which I emphasis on the overhang is that, when measuring the Mounting Distance using the "Screw" on the top of the arm wand as a guide may incurred certain variance on the Mounting Distance.
1) The "Screw" is not in the middle of the arm wand
2) You may also notice there is some variance on the mounting distance,
i) when the tonearm is hanged leveling where the Cartridge is up in the air.
ii) When the tonearm is low and the cartridge is touching the Protractor.
3) Those 3 Curves on Market available Protractor, you are not able to acquire the Overhang Distance of 13.3mm.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
When I purchased DP8 a couple of years ago, they did not come with their Protractor, it is a good news if they come with that.
The reason of which I emphasis on the overhang is that, when measuring the Mounting Distance using the "Screw" on the top of the arm wand as a guide may incurred certain variance on the Mounting Distance.
1) The "Screw" is not in the middle of the arm wand
2) You may also notice there is some variance on the mounting distance,
i) when the tonearm is hanged leveling where the Cartridge is up in the air.
ii) When the tonearm is low and the cartridge is touching the Protractor.
3) Those 3 Curves on Market available Protractor, you are not able to acquire the Overhang Distance of 13.3mm.

According to the instructions for the DP8, the overhang is listed as 18mm, not 13.3mm as you state above.
Also, the pivot to spindle distance is 212mm and is clearly shown in figure 1 of the instructions as being measured from the screw, which it describes as the center of the bush.
Are you familiar with the instructions I am describing? They can be found on the Moerch website.

Andrew Ma

Oct 20, 2015
According to the instructions for the DP8, the overhang is listed as 18mm, not 13.3mm as you state above.
Also, the pivot to spindle distance is 212mm and is clearly shown in figure 1 of the instructions as being measured from the screw, which it describes as the center of the bush.
Are you familiar with the instructions I am describing? They can be found on the Moerch website.
What I quoted 13.3mm is a 12 inches armtube. Perhaps this is my mistake not to mention earlier.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
My new DP8 finally mounted on the Orbe last night. Hardly optimized but I am surprised by how much better the sound is. Much smoother yet still clear and detailed. Bass is amazing. This is a big upgrade over my Tecnoarm, as it should be for the cost. Very happy with my purchase. Mehran was great to work with.

Attachments

• 8D6CFA0D-A95D-493E-9FD3-5A5B1631E6E4.jpeg
    8D6CFA0D-A95D-493E-9FD3-5A5B1631E6E4.jpeg
    762.1 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Scott Naylor

safesphere

Feb 22, 2020
My first post here. Mr. Moerch was kind enough to make me a custom 10” DP8 tonearm a few years ago using my own calculations. It sounds great with a superb base, but I have nothing else to compare it too. I know the math of the tonearm alignment pretty well. If you have any doubts on the value of the overhang or other parameters in your setup and can provide a couple of measurements, I’d be happy to calculate precise numerical values using Loefgren A or B or the optimum in between.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing