Most beautiful jazz ballad ever played......

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hartman-Coltrane.jpg

I really like the Johnny Hartman/John Coltrane album. Hartman had a great set of pipes. Fortunate to have a 15ips 2 track copy of the album.

Larry

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Three come to mind...

Billy Strayhorn wrote "Chelsea Bridge" as teenager. The Gerry Mulligan/Ben Webster version is my favorite:

Stanley Turrentine's version of Gershwin's "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess:

Lonnie's Lament by Coltrane:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Last edited:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
View attachment 65314

I really like the Johnny Hartman/John Coltrane album. Hartman had a great set of pipes. Fortunate to have a 15ips 2 track copy of the album.

Larry

You are one lucky dude. For my money, it is the finest jazz vocal album ever made. I always recommend it when someone asks what they should try when first giving jazz a try.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Reactions: Vienna

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
At His Centennial, a Jazz Pioneer Still Rings True
John Lewis was a visionary pianist who imagined a different look, sound and esteem for jazz.

By John Edward Hasse
April 28, 2020 4:19 pm ET

Pianist and jazz pioneer John Lewis
PHOTO: ULLSTEIN BILD VIA GETTY IMAGES
May 3 marks the centennial of jazzman John Lewis, best remembered as the pianist and musical director of the long-lived Modern Jazz Quartet.
But he was much more. A visionary, he imagined a different sound, look and esteem for jazz. A musical mastermind and organizer, composer, creative catalyst, educator—all these gifts have been undersung. But the quiet, gentle Lewis was uncommonly modest, unseeking of showmanship or stardom. He preferred to let his music speak for itself.
Raised in Albuquerque, N.M., by his grandmother and great-grandmother, he began piano lessons at age 7 and pursued music and anthropology at the University of New Mexico. After World War II Army service in Europe, he moved to New York, a cauldron of the daring, new bebop style. Lewis wrote arrangements for trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie’s explosive big band and for trumpeter Miles Davis’s seminal “Birth of the Cool” recordings.
While gigging at night with the likes of Ella Fitzgerald and saxophonist Charlie Parker, Lewis earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the Manhattan School of Music. He was now deeply in love with Bach, bebop and the blues, not to mention Duke Ellington’s music.

In 1952, he and the Modern Jazz Quartet began recording, with their novel instrumentation. Their personnel solidified as Lewis on piano, Milt Jackson on vibes, Percy Heath on bass, and Connie Kay on drums remaining essentially the same for four decades (with a seven-year break from 1974 to 1981). With an intimate, fluid sound unlike any other, they became one of the most popular, venerable and elegant small ensembles in jazz or chamber music. Its rapport and interplay were palpable.

With grace and steely determination, Lewis demanded that the Modern Jazz Quartet denote dignity and command respect with its music and presentation. He insisted that the foursome dress in matching suits, even practice walking on stage. The epitome of professionalism, purpose and preparation, he wrote intricate scores requiring assiduous practice. His interweaving of written-out parts with improvisation was so seamless that many—even other musicians—couldn’t differentiate the two. He strove for an optimal balance among the four instruments, yielding clean, exquisite textures.
With a pianistic style as reserved as his personality, his filigree touch was so light that his left hand might barely graze the outline of a chord. Like late Count Basie, “less is best” describes his keyboard playing.
The descriptor “chamber jazz” was not always applied admiringly to the Modern Jazz Quartet. Some listeners found their music too restrained or classical-sounding, their instruments incapable of the vocalizing of much African-American music.
Another challenge: Nightclub patrons would talk over the quartet, treating them as sonic wallpaper. The band’s response? They’d play softer until the audience got hip and paid attention. If the audience got too loud, they’d simply walk off the stage. Lewis envisioned the band as concert artists, and they sparkled in recital halls and at festivals.
From 1974, the double-disc, luminous “Last Concert” provides a splendid introduction to the Modern Jazz Quartet. Other Lewis highlights with the Quartet include his “Django,” a lament for the stellar Belgian-born Romani guitarist Django Reinhardt, which became a jazz standard. Fascinated by Bach’s music, Lewis’s compositions with polyphony and fugal counterpoint are among his finest: “Vendome,” “Concorde,” “Versailles” and “Three Windows.”
Like many jazz pianists—from Jelly Roll Morton and Duke Ellington to Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock—Lewis excelled at composing. The principal writer for the Modern Jazz Quartet, he also included among his nearly 250 works the scores for ballets, TV shows, and such films as “Odds Against Tomorrow” and “No Sun in Venice.” Whether writing for the Quartet or larger ensembles, Lewis often merged jazz and classical music. Today, genre-crossing is commonplace, but in the 1950s his approach was fresh and provocative.
So knowledgeable and respected was Lewis that, beginning in 1958, for 25 years he served as musical director of the Monterey Jazz Festival. From 1957 to 1960, he directed the pioneering School of Jazz, in Lenox, Mass., training such future luminaries as David Baker and Ornette Coleman. Later he taught at Harvard and City College of New York. When I spoke with him in January 2001, he did not mention his battle with prostate cancer; three months later, he was gone.

His piano-centric albums “Evolution” (1999) and “Evolution II” (2000), models of wit and economy, marked his swan song. Among the lesser-known of Lewis’s legacies: from the 1980s, his four discs of sensitive improvisations on Bach preludes and fugues from “The Well-Tempered Clavier” with some tracks including guitar, bass and violin. Rarely has a jazz-classical synthesis sounded so accessible and sublime.
—Mr. Hasse is curator emeritus of American music at the Smithsonian. His books include “Beyond Category: The Life and Genius of Duke Ellington” (Da Capo) and “Discover Jazz” (Pearson).

Reactions: Vienna and astrotoy

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca

LOVE ALL the Jazz Ballads listed; however, for me, there is only one "ring" to rule them all..

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and awsmone

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
i'm a Bill Evans "peace piece" guy myself. unique, ethereal.

and improvised on the spot.

Rumour has it that Evans arranged Flamenco Sketches as well.

Reactions: Vienna and APP

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Rumour has it that Evans arranged Flamenco Sketches as well.

from wiki....
Peace Piece is a jazz piece recorded by Bill Evans in December 1958 for his album Everybody Digs Bill Evans. It is a pastoral improvisation recorded by Evans at the end of the recording session and is one of his simplest, built on a gentle Cmaj7 to G9sus4 two chord progression, the same first chords of "Some Other Time" from the musical On the Town by Leonard Bernstein which Evans also recorded. The same progression featured in the opening to "Flamenco Sketches" which he recorded with Miles Davis the following year; Davis took a liking to the piece and wanted to reuse it.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
i'm a Bill Evans "peace piece" guy myself. unique, ethereal.

and improvised on the spot.

Peace Piece is truly out of this world it opens the doors of unknown out of the earth feeling more than anything that i have listened to in Jazz.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Good. Have to get one myself.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Coleman Hawkins sure set the standard of a sax ballad with his take on Body and Soul. I'm a sucker for an innovator that everyone copies afterwards for an eternity.

Reactions: APP and amadeus

michaelweiss

Aug 4, 2020
www.michaelweiss.info
Couldn't begin to come close to pick the best, the most of anything, let alone music, but I do have my favorites.
Wayne Shorter's Contemplation from Buhaina's Delight. Wayne Shorter's Maya from High Life.
Frank Sinatra - Only the Lonely.

Reactions: APP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing