Most Powerful Amplifier Ever Built?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
With all due respect, the power ratings (and price) of these amps are in the stratosphere for mere audiophile mortals. And the other obvious question is how much is enough?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Since I would have to add two dedicated 220v lines for that power I will decline. Maybe if my living room was bigger than 20x20 I might consider it. Not. :)

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
With all due respect, the power ratings (and price) of these amps are in the stratosphere for mere audiophile mortals. And the other obvious question is how much is enough?
I'm not sure how your comment relates to my original post.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
MC2 E45 ( so says spec sheet ) is good for 8400w @ 4 ohms bridged. Power at the panel / circuit becomes an issue at this level as was alluded to above.

Of course the E45 is a tour amp. For shredding stadiums with line arrays and that sort of thing...

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
What's the point??? What speaker is going to need that kind of power in a home setting?? The only application that would make any sense power wise would be a sealed sub with lots of EQ if the driver doesn't cook itself.

Rob :)

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I thought the OP’s question was an interesting one and I’m not sure why some seem to feel the need to seemingly object to the question? Whats the point? To know ...

George

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
What's the point??? What speaker is going to need that kind of power in a home setting?? The only application that would make any sense power wise would be a sealed sub with lots of EQ if the driver doesn't cook itself.

Rob :)
I guess this falls into the 500Lb G Wagen, Ferrari, diamond encrusted
The 2 Pivetta amps in the link below are the most powerful and most expensive, I've seen:

Ongaku for 250k? Where do they get these figures?

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Looks like the Pivetta Opera at 120,000 watts takes the cake...and a hefty power bill. So a with a 100db efficient horn, this should play above 150db. Perfect!

• Haha
Reactions: hbsry2001

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I thought the OP’s question was an interesting one and I’m not sure why some seem to feel the need to seemingly object to the question? Whats the point? To know ...

George
In part because the question is meaningless without a point of reference. Are we discussing audio amplifiers? for home use? for sound reinforcement? you get the idea...

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
In part because the question is meaningless without a point of reference. Are we discussing audio amplifiers? for home use? for sound reinforcement? you get the idea...
Probably for home and just to see who’s is the biggest maybe? Sorry but I couldn’t resist!

George

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I left the OP vague so as to invite other posts. With only 14 posts so far, leaving the question open was probably a good strategy. My interest to be more specific is in home audio, but the pro audio and other responses are nonetheless interesting no?

Reactions: gadawg58

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I own 2 amps dubbed at one point the most powerful amp .
Krell 700cx and a pair of mark Levinson no 33. All 220 volt
Maybe I'm not the guy to comment here hahaha. I think most powerful amp is not enough to be alone the title on this topic. My ML33 are rated to 1ohm or 1/2 I forget at 60 amps per amp continues . Does anybody need this , I doubt it . But on low z speakers headroom is drastically understand and derated. a speaker maker Kay's claim there model only needs 200 watts . most all claims are in a near field serup. Not practical in most rooms.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Active monitors 3,000wpc and 125db find this is adequate
industrial amps are bigger , ones used at CERN
The new solid-state amplifier system developed by CERN with the Thales Gérac company comprises 32 towers, in which 2560 RF modules, each containing four transistors,

201902-037_03.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: GMKF and howiebrou

DaveC951

Aug 19, 2018
I demo'ed some years back at the New York Audio Show (actually held in Brooklyn that year) using the Naim Statement, which was brand new at the time. Here's how they spec the mono blocks: 746W into 8 ohms, 1450W into 4 ohms, 9kW burst power into 1 ohm. I love the 9KW burst spec. Let's just call it 12 horsepower instead :) varoom!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing