Mr. Yoav Geva has left YG Acoustics

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
FYI Ron,
some of what you posted is true however them doing well is not so much. They moved most everything out of Kansas and since then its been very much downhill.

. . .

I don't personally have insight into MartinLogan financials, which is why I wrote, based on its numerous and varied new product launches, "seems."

By what metric are you gauging "downhill"?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
IMO, YG's latest designs are excellent, and arguably the best implementation of a traditional multi-driver box speaker that exists in the world today. I think YG would do just fine simply continuing to build the current speakers they offer for many years to come. Their popularity has grown over the years and this upward trend has not diminished AFAIK. I think the company is doing just fine, but I don't know anything for sure. I really hope the split was amicable and Mr. YG simply wanted to go do something else after accomplishing what he set out to do.
Because of the very active used market, the "just build the current line up" strategy simply doesn't work in the industry. Because there is such a small consumer base for highend audio, manufacturers need to be continually upgrading and launching new products to grow.

Reactions: ack

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I don't personally have insight into MartinLogan financials, which is why I wrote, based on its numerous and varied new product launches, "seems."

By what metric are you gauging "downhill"?
This is not a place for me to disclose privileged information all I am saying here is the track record of audio companies that change hands and are purchased by investors is POOR.
If you follow the trail of Paradigm and Anthem you can see the future. A word to the wise as they say.....

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Because of the very active used market, the "just build the current line up" strategy simply doesn't work in the industry. Because there is such a small consumer base for highend audio, manufacturers need to be continually upgrading and launching new products to grow.

I disagree... as long as other companies can't surpass YG's current designs!

IMO, they all have some work to do to even catch up... If you're the best you don't have to improve until others have managed to match or surpass you. The only reason not to buy YG if you want a multi-way box speaker is because they're too expensive or you want something that has a particular sound characteristic that deviates from neutral.

Reactions: ctydwn and chuck

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I disagree... as long as other companies can't surpass YG's current designs!

IMO, they all have some work to do to even catch up... If you're the best you don't have to improve until others have managed to match or surpass you. The only reason not to buy YG if you want a multi-way box speaker is because they're too expensive or you want something that has a particular sound characteristic that deviates from neutral.
Sorry Dave, but that is not how any business works. Rest on you laurels and that's exactly what they plant on your grave. Proof? Every business ever.

Reactions: ack and Al M.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Sorry Dave, but that is not how any business works. Rest on you laurels and that's exactly what they plant on your grave. Proof? Every business ever.

Yeah, like Coca Cola? They'd probably be doing even better with their true, original formula! ;)

TAD has a couple new models but the Reference and many Evolution series speakers are many years old and still one of the best. They still sell drivers designed decades ago as well.

Not everyone needs to be like Magico, and I'd bet some are turned off by Magico's constantly introducing new models of speakers that don't even sound that similar to one another in many cases. YG is not the same kind of company, imo.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Jeff, Before the new ownership change at SME, there were very few product changes and yet the business was doing quite well. The 10, 20 and 30 are old designs and still selling.

I don’t know exactly how much the tonearm and turntable sales were part of the business success or simply subsidized by the rest of the business, but they produce lots of turntables and tonearms and you do have to wait for the larger models.

Lamm, Spectral, Kronos and Tannoy do not produce new product very often either. I think there are lots of examples for both approaches. Magico, Wilson, Pass, VPI introduce new models regularly.

Last edited:

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Last edited by a moderator:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeff, Before the new ownership change at SME, there were very few product changes and yet the business was doing quite well. The 10, 20 and 30 are old designs and still selling.

I don’t know exactly how much the tonearm and turntable sales were part of the business success or simply subsidized by the rest of the business, but they produce lots of turntables and tonearms and you do have to wait for the larger models.

Lamm, Spectral, Kronos and Tannoy do not produce new product very often either. I think there are lots of examples for both approaches. Magico, Wilson, Pass, VPI introduce new models regularly.
I can't say I agree with your assessment Peter. In terms of SME, they upgraded the 10, 20 and 30 into new versions. Lamm is almost done and Kronos is not longer relevant. Tannoy launchs many new items every year, but most are down market mid-fi items.

Reactions: ack

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This is not a place for me to disclose privileged information all I am saying here is the track record of audio companies that change hands and are purchased by investors is POOR.
If you follow the trail of Paradigm and Anthem you can see the future. A word to the wise as they say.....

As far as I know the Audio Research, Sonus Faber, McIntosh group is being successful.

Unfortunately many times when audio companies are purchased by investors this was due to their poor financial or market situation. Funds are attracted by desperate people wanting to sell cheap.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Regardless, we will have no shortages of speakers to listen to, nor will we have any less wire to drive them ..............

Reactions: Bobvin

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
As far as I know the Audio Research, Sonus Faber, McIntosh group is being successful.

Unfortunately many times when audio companies are purchased by investors this was due to their poor financial or market situation. Funds are attracted by desperate people wanting to sell cheap.
The key words in your statement " as far as I know". Don't assume you know what they say :)

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Just catching up... interesting teaser in there about upcoming advancements to be rolled out.
That said, major bummer. Ugh... Best of luck of course to Yoav! He has fundamentally altered my and many others' listening experience. Will be curious to learn more on where YG is headed...

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Personally I have never liked YG.

It was all the advertising that they were the best loudspeakers in the world that made me cringe every time I saw it.

Utter BS. And genuinely pathetic.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
That was not YG. Their first speakers were horrible and have little if any resale value.

Hmm-- You could possibly be correct there--the depreciation from new that I've noted on used Sites is jaw dropping:oops:!

Big pity,

BruceD

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Personally I have never liked YG.

It was all the advertising that they were the best loudspeakers in the world that made me cringe every time I saw it.

Utter BS. And genuinely pathetic.

As we say constantly this is a subjective hobby, but it seems to me that displeasing advertising is a rather remote reason for disliking the sound of a loudspeaker. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing