MSB DSD Update

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
anyone heard DSD through it?

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis
Amir, not sure what you mean.

Lloyd, I had issues with one of the 3 update files, so I haven't been able to listen. There's a thread on Computeraudiophile where others have updated and I'm sure they'll post their impressions.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Amir, not sure what you mean.

Lloyd, I had issues with one of the 3 update files, so I haven't been able to listen. There's a thread on Computeraudiophile where others have updated and I'm sure they'll post their impressions.

Thanks...look forward to your own impressions when it works. Good luck and enjoy!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I think DSD over all inputs. Not 100% sure.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I have to give MSB Tech high praise for providing support above and beyond and giving their customers something to believe in. Kudos MSB Tech.

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis
I agree Joe. One of the reasons I went with MSB was their long track record of providing upgrades for existing products. This helps ensure the "investment" isn't left behind as technology advances. Years ago I had a full Meridian setup, but got out because they didn't offer a viable upgrade path.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I agree Joe. One of the reasons I went with MSB was their long track record of providing upgrades for existing products. This helps ensure the "investment" isn't left behind as technology advances. Years ago I had a full Meridian setup, but got out because they didn't offer a viable upgrade path.

Catastrofe - what other digital did you compare to? which mSB do you have? i am very focused on my next digital move, so would appreciate your advice.

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis
Catastrofe - what other digital did you compare to? which mSB do you have? i am very focused on my next digital move, so would appreciate your advice.

I have the Signature DAC IV with volume and 384K USB input.

My digital search began in 2008 when I decided to jump into computer audio with both feet. My first high-end solution was an Esoteric D-05 with G-03X clock. Excellent sound and of course, Esoteric equipment is built like a tank. When PS Audio launched their DAC/Bridge streaming solution, I was fortunate enough to be selected as a Beta Tester. It seemed like a perfect solution with file storage elsewhere (the basement in my case with my listening room on the 2nd floor). The sound bested the Esoteric and streaming was super convenient, but I became disenchanted with a number of issues, gapless playback being the primary detractor. That's when I began looking at other solutions.

I was able to audition the following DACs in my system while I still had the PWD:

Weiss DAC202
Meitner MA-1
Playback Designs MPS-5
MSB Platinum DAC IV

The Weiss sounded good, better than the PWD, but not signficantly.
The Playback Designs was an older unit and limited to 16/48 via USB. It sounded terrible. . .after 10 minutes I removed it from my system.
The Meitner sounded fantastic and would have been a keeper, but it lacked some of the functionality (volume, phase inversion) that I wanted. I was also interested in future upgrades, and wasn't sure what would be available from Meitner.
The MSB played at a level above the Meitner, and provided the functionality I wanted. My audition was with the base Platinum version, and I purchased the "mid-level" Signature.

I posted on Computeraudiophile about this comparison last year: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-ma-1-dac-review-11664-post150560/#post150560

I've never been very good at the typical audiophile terminology. The MSB just sounds "right". . .at times I'm started by the realism as it sounds like someone's in the room with me. I have acutally jumped out of my seat thinking someone was there.

Hope this helps. . .

Bob

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Will DSD be made available as file downloads that could be burned to DVD and played back on an MSB transport through their DAC ?

It already is through Blue Coast Records, Channel Classics, 2L and a host of others.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing