MSB Reference/Select - Impact of the Femto Clock

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Has anyone had first hand experience rolling through the 3 different clock options (140, 77, 33) on the Reference or Select? What type of sonic character would you say each possesses and what impact did switching clock have on your system or musical enjoyment?

Emorante

Jul 8, 2017
Italy
I recently tried at home, on my dac reference, both the double power and the 33 femto, compared to 77. The dual power supply did not convince me, while the clock improved the sound and so I kept it. Recommended.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
I recently tried at home, on my dac reference, both the double power and the 33 femto, compared to 77. The dual power supply did not convince me, while the clock improved the sound and so I kept it. Recommended.
Thanks for sharing, that's really interesting. Can you expand on what you heard when you changed to Femto 33 that made you decide it's worth keeping? Also on the other hand, what did you hear when you changed to double power? (I am assuming not much change)

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I also have a Reference but had the 77 clock initially. Went to the 33, its worth the money. Its not a huge difference but definitely dont want to go back.

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
I also have a Reference but had the 77 clock initially. Went to the 33, its worth the money. Its not a huge difference but definitely dont want to go back.
Thanks Hugh, when you made the move from 77 to 33, what improvements did you hear that made you not want to go back?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hi, most noticeable was bass clarity and impact. then better spatial queues and piano had more sparkle more lifelike. For me bass was immediately noticeable then rest took a bit if a listen but i only needed a few tracks. I dont believe in pixie dust, this was real to me, but its not huge. Price per performance well thats another discussion :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing