MSB Renderer v2 in the house!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Just got today one of the very first Renderer modules from MSB, and first impressions are... OMFG!!!!!!!

Plug-and-play, Roon saw it immediately. Can target all sorts of resolution, including MQA.

Sounds considerably better than the Innuos Zenith through USB.

Shame the new Ref transport isn't here anymore, but this seems as good as!

cheers,
alex

Reactions: WeatherB

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Just got today one of the very first Renderer modules from MSB, and first impressions are... OMFG!!!!!!!

Plug-and-play, Roon saw it immediately. Can target all sorts of resolution, including MQA.

cheers,
alex

interesting. any word on when us lowly customers might see it?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
This one's on loan from Vince. I've ordered half a dozen, let's see how soon we can get more!

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

cheers,
alex

Now that is some good news!!!!! I have been patiently waiting so its great we are finally close to delivery but the much bigger news is that it apparently performs as advertised.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Hi Alex,
sorry if a bit off topic. Will MSB still be able to use the OPPO platform for its Ref & Select transports? Did you hear the finished version of the Ref transport or the one with the plastic tray?

Dave

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi Alex,
sorry if a bit off topic. Will MSB still be able to use the OPPO platform for its Ref & Select transports? Did you hear the finished version of the Ref transport or the one with the plastic tray?

Dave

I heard the finished version of the Reference Transport with solid aluminum tray at Axpona. It looked and sounded terrific.

Ken

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I heard the finished version of the Reference Transport with solid aluminum tray at Axpona. It looked and sounded terrific.

Ken

Thanks Ken, hope you're enjoying the K1!

Dave

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Now that is some good news!!!!! I have been patiently waiting so its great we are finally close to delivery but the much bigger news is that it apparently performs as advertised.

Paul,

The cat is literally out of the bag.

MSB Renderer v2 is officially shipping today. Versions are available for the new platform DACs (Reference, SELECT, Discrete and Premier), as well as older platforms (Analog DAC, and even DAC IV, IV+ and V). Talk about preserving one's investment!

The MSB Renderer was developed using an in-house hardware design running an ultra low noise A5 processor for optimal audio playback performance. The eight layer circuit board allows for the most compact design while still being able to offer features like full hardware based MQA decoding, Roon endpoint, and up to 32 bit - 768kHz playback.
The new Renderer is available for all MSB DACs starting at 1,995 USD. Version 1 Renderers can be upgraded at 1,000 USD. Please contact your dealer to upgrade to a new MSB Renderer!

• 32 bit - 768kHz playback capable
  • MQA hardware based decoding
  • Roon Endpoint
  • Up to 4X DSD
  • UPnP Protocol
  • DLNA Protocol

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Alex,

Dave

Yes, MSB has secured quite a few units, so supply is guaranteed for the future.
I did hear the REF transport with the metal tray, here in the store, and I also took it to a client's place. Since I don't do CDs much, I actually used it more as a Roon endpoint than a transport, and in that capacity, it was awesome! Using the same media server (a very expensive one that I'd rather not name) running JRiver, we were able to play through USB and over the network to the transport, using JRiver's UPNP compatibility. Needless to say, not using USB made a huge difference, for the best...
We should receive a SELECT transport one of these days, so I might be able to compare Roon on the transport x Roon on the Renderer directly. That has been my main curiosity.

cheers,
alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Sure. It's $1,995 for new modules, or $1,000 if you're upgrading from a previous Renderer. The version for DAC IV/IV+/V is $2,995 as it includes a ProI2S input.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yes, MSB has secured quite a few units, so supply is guaranteed for the future.
I did hear the REF transport with the metal tray, here in the store, and I also took it to a client's place. Since I don't do CDs much, I actually used it more as a Roon endpoint than a transport, and in that capacity, it was awesome! Using the same media server (a very expensive one that I'd rather not name) running JRiver, we were able to play through USB and over the network to the transport, using JRiver's UPNP compatibility. Needless to say, not using USB made a huge difference, for the best...
We should receive a SELECT transport one of these days, so I might be able to compare Roon on the transport x Roon on the Renderer directly. That has been my main curiosity.

cheers,
alex

As good as I am sure the new laser (ISL) connection is, it is hard for me to believe going from ethernet through laser in the transport to I2S in the DAC is going to be as good as directly from ethernet to I2S using the renderer. It seams even if the ISL is perfectly benign, the best you could hope for is a tie. I am guessing, if you need a spinner go transport, if not go renderer. It will be interesting to get your findings. As we know it all comes down to execution.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Transport arrives tomorrow, let's see if I'll be able to try it out!

While in theory going directly to the internal bus (Renderer) is better than through a second module/interface (Transport/ProISL), as you said, it's all about execution. Specially when computers are involved, like the case with the Renderer, noise can creep in and hurt performance, while the ProISL interface supposedly gets rid of the noise coming from the transport, so the internal module sees crystal clear signals.
I've ordered some Ethernet filters to try, let's see the effect they have on the module...

cheers,
alex

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Transport arrives tomorrow, let's see if I'll be able to try it out!

While in theory going directly to the internal bus (Renderer) is better than through a second module/interface (Transport/ProISL), as you said, it's all about execution. Specially when computers are involved, like the case with the Renderer, noise can creep in and hurt performance, while the ProISL interface supposedly gets rid of the noise coming from the transport, so the internal module sees crystal clear signals.
I've ordered some Ethernet filters to try, let's see the effect they have on the module...

cheers,
alex

Ya, I have fiber optics coming into my room with a custom LPS feeding the media converter in an EMi shileded box by the DAC. Its gunna be fun doing comparos.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my new Renderer for my MSB Select II will ship to me tomorrow.

my plan would be to set up my 30 terabyte NAS and the SGM 'both' as Roon Core and compare the 2. talking to my son, likely the NAS will need an extra small (but not pretty) powerful Linux box for the Roon Core to give it plenty of speed (to handle hirez especially dsd), and in a couple of months there will be the Evo spec upgrade for the SGM too.

may the best Roon core 'home' win!

Alex told me my current NAS should be sufficient with some extra ram. my Son, after looking over the Roon website, thought it better adding a separate box to hit the performance levels needed. the NAS box internal upgrade (or even a different NAS box) approach would involve compromises. I need to connect my son and Alex to get the right solution.

once it's all in place i'll experiment with network cables and interfaces. the NAS is upstairs with a 35' CAT5 (CAT6a?) cable connecting through a conduit to the SGM/MSB location in my listening room.

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm available :D
My lowly 3 year old NAS can handle my 20k+ albums. It's not the fastest thing ever, but I still need to add the SSD cache/drive to the NAS, to speed Roon up. Of course, a dedicated server next to the NAS would be faster, but possibly add noise/complexity.
Newer, more powerful NAS models, with at least 8Gb of RAM (more = better), should do the trick just fine.
You'll need a 2nd set of CAT6 from upstairs down to the area where the MSB is...

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing