MSB's Homerun

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
No I am not talking about the SELECT or the DAC V, neither of which I have yet to hear or upgrade to.

I am talking about their new QUAD USB input upgrade for their SELECT and DAC IV AND V. After many days of struggling I found out that it will not play QUAD DSD on the DAC IV but only on the V and SELECT, no big deal at this point as it plays all other resolutions on the IV. The quality of the appearance of the input is immediately noticeable with a large back shielded plate. I am told their is much more shielding on this port than their prior but exactly from what I am not sure as I was sent a test unit. The other big and HUGE change is FINALLY this input plugs into a PROI2S board (if you are going to upgrade to this, I recommend inserting the module into the PROI2S and then installing the two as a unit as doing it any other way is virtually impossible).

What is already a stunning DAC and sound has been taken to a new level. As many of you know, I have voiced "some" criticisms in the MSB policy of upgrades, timing of new product, server solutions, etc. Well KUDOS to them for getting it right. If there were no other upgrade path available this new QUAD USB port would be by itself a HUGE upgrade, especially given the price. There is more focus, larger soundstage, refined bass and just a HUGE and focused presentation I have never heard before. While I will be upgrading my Diamond Plus to the V (???Select) if there were no other upgrade I would be a very happy camper.

I have no affiliation with MSB other than being and owner and now a VERY happy one.

When I tested the UMT+ which should have had similar results to this QUAD input given the data path, I was less than enthused. I felt my server and old USB input was superior in many ways. This is a whole new ballgame.

From my perch, VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I haven't pulled myself away from my system since Friday. Finally coming up for air to relay my initial findings.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Priaptor,

Very useful info! Many Thanks!
This QUAD USB option will be my next target!

BTW I thought IV and V were the same except the chassis but now there is at least one diff. haha

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Does the new card has USB or Ethernet inputs ? Any pics ?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Does the new card has USB or Ethernet inputs ? Any pics ?

The QUAD USB is USB only but they are releasing a renderer plug in for the DAC IV/V that is Ethernet. Both utilize the plug in PROI2S board and "theoretically" should have similar sound signatures.

I can't speak for the renderer but am very impressed with the Quad input.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
These guys are brilliant. You basically pay a hefty fee to turns existing features on through a dirt cheap piece of hardware. Almost like a lisence fee for modules of a software package. For example the RS-232 interface for the analog DAC is $995 (a $10 piece of hardware that plugs into some data bus). It is the same principle with their various USB interface options - you pay for the right to use existing function / features of the DAC.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
These guys are brilliant. You basically pay a hefty fee to turns existing features on through a dirt cheap piece of hardware. Almost like a lisence fee for modules of a software package. For example the RS-232 interface for the analog DAC is $995 (a $10 piece of hardware that plugs into some data bus). It is the same principle with their various USB interface options - you pay for the right to use existing function / features of the DAC.

Not quite the same. Since you no longer have one and am now onto something else I can understand the criticism.

What you are referencing has nothing to do with this new module. I have been pretty critical of MSB over some of their recent roll outs and products even though an owner. However they got the message, got both USB and presumably their renderer technology right in utilizing their best PROI2S technology instead of a "Rube Goldberg" solution.

For the first time buyer they have one of three USB inputs to choose from (although why anyone would choose anything but this would be absurd) or a renderer. I think those are pretty good choices and not a racket. Their is nothing "turning on" just options to fit one's need and budget. Trust me your PS audio isn't the same as the first or second generation and guess what they also charged for different functionality and with V1 you couldn't even get USB.

Lastly they are making good to their original SELECT owners and I think their upgrade pricing to go from the IV to the V is reasonable.

You are wrong on this. This is no racket but a great upgrade to an already great DAC.

JohnR

Apr 19, 2015
I upgraded the USB input of my Analog DAC to the new Quad USB and it is a very nice improvement in sound quality. Up to now I only played PCM files and no DSD at all. But the standard USB input is very good sounding, too.

With the QUAD USB input differences between different USB cables are smaller than I experienced before. Probably due to a better isolation and filtering of the audio signal and 5 Volt supply.

Worth mentioning is that placing the DAC and the power supply on different shelves of the rack improves sound quality quite a bit compared to have them stacked.

This is an amazing DAC.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi JohnR,

Thanks for the info on QUAD USB.

Larry of MSB will visit Hong Kong on 28-29 April to demo the MSB Theatre Master.
I will attend the demo to see how good this ridiculously expensive HT set is.

And at the same time ask Larry some questions on the QUAD USB option.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I upgraded the USB input of my Analog DAC to the new Quad USB and it is a very nice improvement in sound quality. Up to now I only played PCM files and no DSD at all. But the standard USB input is very good sounding, too.

With the QUAD USB input differences between different USB cables are smaller than I experienced before. Probably due to a better isolation and filtering of the audio signal and 5 Volt supply.

Worth mentioning is that placing the DAC and the power supply on different shelves of the rack improves sound quality quite a bit compared to have them stacked.

This is an amazing DAC.

I am not sure if the Analog uses the PROI2S interface with the QUAD but I am told "it is the same interface" as those in the IV and V. Yes, it is DEFINITELY superior with PCM as well as DSD. This input literally gives you a completely new DAC assuming you are using it via a sever. I have had my interface now for a little more than a week and it is truly a wonderful addition that doesn't cease to please.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
This input literally gives you a completely new DAC assuming you are using it via a sever. I have had my interface now for a little more than a week and it is truly a wonderful addition that doesn't cease to please.

This is why I love the MSB stuff so much. Easy, hassle free upgrade paths :) With the rapid improvement in digital gear, this is a must.

For the record, when we ordered the DACs for the store, Vince (MSB) insisted we get the new Quad USB ports, and I'm glad we did!

alexandre

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
This is why I love the MSB stuff so much. Easy, hassle free upgrade paths :) With the rapid improvement in digital gear, this is a must.

For the record, when we ordered the DACs for the store, Vince (MSB) insisted we get the new Quad USB ports, and I'm glad we did!

alexandre

Yeah, I think you are going to freak over it. I have been literally HOUNDING them for the last year and half to implement something like this. I couldn't understand why they weren't providing a "server" PROI2S solution. Well now we have two choices between the QUAD USB and Renderer without having to spend a fortune for one of their "server solutions" to plug in to the PROI2S port. I think when you see how the PROI2S/QUAD USB look and communicate and more importantly sound, you will be very pleased

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
The upgrade from the old IV to the new V, combined with the upgrade from the old signature USB to the new i2s quad rate USB, is tranformative. All I can say is "Wow".

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The upgrade from the old IV to the new V, combined with the upgrade from the old signature USB to the new i2s quad rate USB, is tranformative. All I can say is "Wow".

Hi Brucemck2,

May you share with more about the difference in sound between your MSB IV and Signature V?
Was your MSB dac a IV or IV Plus series?

I am considering to upgrade my IV Plus to Signature V too.

Many thanks for your advice in advance!

CK

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Hi Brucemck2,

May you share with more about the difference in sound between your MSB IV and Signature V?
Was your MSB dac a IV or IV Plus series?

I am considering to upgrade my IV Plus to Signature V too.

Many thanks for your advice in advance!

CK

My old unit was a Signature IV Plus with a Diamond base. I fed that with both a Transport Plus (via the MSB Link) and via the USB Signature input.

There is more detail, a much wider (by around two feet on either side) and somewhat deeper sound stage, and much more rounded images. There is also a deeper/richer bass line; I hear bass guitars and drum kits with more vigor. It sounds "more analog" in a cleanly digital way, and it's not even fully burned in yet (I've only got a bit over 50 hours on it.)

Since I did both the IV to V and the i2s USB input mods at the same time, I can't ascribe the changes to one or the other. The combination is a huge step up, and well worth the money.

After I get the hang of it I'll likely upgrade the clock and add an MSB isolation base. Vince was pretty convincing that both make a material difference, and doesn't seem worried that I'll send either back after giving them a try.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My old unit was a Signature IV Plus with a Diamond base. I fed that with both a Transport Plus (via the MSB Link) and via the USB Signature input.
There is more detail, a much wider (by around two feet on either side) and somewhat deeper sound stage, and much more rounded images. There is also a deeper/richer bass line; I hear bass guitars and drum kits with more vigor. It sounds "more analog" in a cleanly digital way, and it's not even fully burned in yet (I've only got a bit over 50 hours on it.)
Since I did both the IV to V and the i2s USB input mods at the same time, I can't ascribe the changes to one or the other. The combination is a huge step up, and well worth the money.
After I get the hang of it I'll likely upgrade the clock and add an MSB isolation base. Vince was pretty convincing that both make a material difference, and doesn't seem worried that I'll send either back after giving them a try.

Hi Brucemck2,

Many thanks for your sharing!
I will most probably upgrade my IV Plus to Signature V.
However, I have not yet decided on getting the QUAD USB option or the coming Renderer option.

I asked Mr. Larry Gullman at the MSB demo on 28 April.
He claimed that the QUAD USB option and Renderer option for Series IV, V and Select are different from those for AnalogDAC.
It's because there are more space available for better circuits inside these upper Series.

If the Renderer is as good as QUAD USB in term of sonic performance, it's a more convenient option. :)

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I was told that the new renderer is almost identical in performance to what you get by using the UMT Plus transport as a streamer into the proprietary MSB input that connects that transport to their dacs. That chain worked well streaming via my NAS and J River.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hi Brucemck2,

Many thanks for your sharing!
I will most probably upgrade my IV Plus to Signature V.
However, I have not yet decided on getting the QUAD USB option or the coming Renderer option.

I asked Mr. Larry Gullman at the MSB demo on 28 April.
He claimed that the QUAD USB option and Renderer option for Series IV, V and Select are different from those for AnalogDAC.
It's because there are more space available for better circuits inside these upper Series.

If the Renderer is as good as QUAD USB in term of sonic performance, it's a more convenient option. :)

Maybe. If I read their instructions correct it seems in order for one to do gapless you still need your DLNA from something like JRiver running on a computer on your network. So we will need to see how it all works.

Much of what Bruce describes I noticed by going to the Quad still with my IV so I will be interested in seeing how going to the V enhances even more. I am afraid to even demo the SELECT.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Much of what Bruce describes I noticed by going to the Quad still with my IV so I will be interested in seeing how going to the V enhances even more. I am afraid to even demo the SELECT.

Hi Priaptor,

Me too.
I am eager to see how much does upgrading IV Plus to V will bring about because the cost involved is 6-7 times more than installing the QUAD USB.
:confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing