Multi-channel McIntosh amps

prerich

May 21, 2012
What are your thoughts on McIntosh multichannel amps? I just purchased a MC8207 and I love it. However - my former main amp (B&K Reference 200.7) is not far off in performance. The 8207 is a work of art visually. I wonder how does it compare to the likes of the 207 (as the 207 is like $4k more but is it just looks - or is there a performance difference that would justify dropping $4000 more)?

Medialies

Apr 16, 2021
What are your thoughts on McIntosh multichannel amps? I just purchased a MC8207 and I love it. However - my former main amp (B&K Reference 200.7) is not far off in performance. The 8207 is a work of art visually. I wonder how does it compare to the likes of the 207 (as the 207 is like $4k more but is it just looks - or is there a performance difference that would justify dropping $4000 more)?
I just purchased the MC257 and have not hooked it up yet along with the MX123. When I get it up and running I 'll check back in.

Reactions: prerich

Medialies

Apr 16, 2021
Should be excellent.
Finished the basic hook up last night. ( Think I hurt my self lifting the amp)..anyways, sound very nice but more work to be done with with Audyssey and speaker positioning. The best part was what my wife said.." we need to get bigger speakers". Thinking about Bi-amping the left over 2 channels as I am only going to run 5.1

Oh, the 8207 is the twin of the 207 except without meters. That is the only difference.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Finished the basic hook up last night. ( Think I hurt my self lifting the amp)..anyways, sound very nice but more work to be done with with Audyssey and speaker positioning. The best part was what my wife said.." we need to get bigger speakers". Thinking about Bi-amping the left over 2 channels as I am only going to run 5.1

Oh, the 8207 is the twin of the 207 except without meters. That is the only difference.
Good to have some help when lifting these amplifiers they are very heavy.

Reactions: prerich

prerich

May 21, 2012

Thanks!!!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing