Multi-Genre Music Aficionados Only Please Reply

What type of loudspeaker do you have in your main music listening system?

• Dynamic Driver (cones in cabinets)

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Horn or Horn-Loaded

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Planar (electrostatic, magnetic-planar, ribbon)

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is a question for audiophiles who enjoy approximately equally at least three (3) broad musical genres which I define for the purpose of this poll as classical, jazz, rock/pop, vocals and electronica. It is difficult to quantify what I'm looking for here, but, for example, if you listen to jazz and classical and pop/rock approximately the same amount of time on your main audio system, then you qualify for this poll.

If you listen to only two of these musical genres in any ratio, then please do not reply to this poll. If you listen to three of these musical genres, but you listen to one of the three musical genres about twice as much as you listen to one of the other musical genres (for example, classical 50%, jazz 25%, electronica 25%), then please do not reply to this poll.

If you listen to three of these musical genres about one-third of the time, then you qualify for this poll. If you listen to four of these musical genres about a quarter of the time each, then you qualify for this poll.

Thank you.

PS: I do not satisfy the criterion so I am abstaining from participating in this poll.

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Ron you narrow your criteria significantly, what is the purpose of your poll, i.e. what conclusions are you hoping for, what hypothesis are you hoping to support?

How will your results, for example, allow for the fact many people may have never heard a horn system or panel system given the ubiquity of “box” speakers, so might have assembled a system around only what they’ve been exposed to.

Reactions: bazelio and PeterA

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
My mains are dynamic with horns up top so hybrids, I picked horns.

When you think about your music listening habits, do you tend to listen to a certain musical genre on one type of speaker more than the other type of speaker?

No I listen to a variety of material.

Rob:)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This is a question for audiophiles who enjoy approximately equally at least three (3) broad musical genres which I define for the purpose of this poll as classical, jazz, rock/pop, vocals and electronica. It is difficult to quantify what I'm looking for here, but, for example, if you listen to jazz and classical and pop/rock approximately the same amount of time on your main audio system, then you qualify for this poll.

If you listen to only two of these musical genres in any ratio, then please do not reply to this poll. If you listen to three of these musical genres, but you listen to one of the three musical genres about twice as much as you listen to one of the other musical genres (for example, classical 50%, jazz 25%, electronica 25%), then please do not reply to this poll.

If you listen to three of these musical genres about one-third of the time, then you qualify for this poll. If you listen to four of these musical genres about a quarter of the time each, then you qualify for this poll.

Thank you.

PS: I do not satisfy the criterion so I am abstaining from participating in this poll.

Ok, Ron, I voted before seeing your qualifications. I listen to classical and jazz more, but my system must be able to play anything, including rock and electronica, which I listen to also. So I consider myself a musical omnivore, and voted accordingly.

I think the criterium of listening about equally to genres is too restrictive, and does not necessarily reflect actual people's tastes. I like and listen to a wide variety of music, simple as that. And yes, cones in cabinets.

Reactions: Mikem53

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, do lieder, opera, and choral music fall into the vocal or classical category? I listen roughly equally to classical small and large scale instrumental music, jazz small and large scale, and various types of vocal music.

I need you to tell me if I qualify for your poll.

If you listen roughly equally to classical, jazz and vocals then you qualify for the pool.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have a horn + dynamic. What do I vote on?

What kind of driver is the tweeter? What kind of driver is the midrange?

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Ok, Ron, I voted before seeing your qualifications. I listen to classical and jazz more, but my system must be able to play anything, including rock and electronica, which I listen to also. So I consider myself a musical omnivore, and voted accordingly.

I think the criterium of listening about equally to genres is too restrictive, and does not necessarily reflect actual people's tastes. I like and listen to a wide variety of music, simple as that. And yes, cones in cabinets.
Ron, same for me as above..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing