Multi-Grammy Award winning Recording Engineer Michael Bishop Passes

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Michael Bishop died yesterday at the age of 69. He won 10 Grammy Awards. He began at Telarc in 1978, where he was chief engineer for 20 years until Telarc closed its doors in 2008. He then cofounded Five/Four Productions with colleagues from Telarc.

I got to know him when I wrote my Decca book for Winston Ma from 2013-15. Michael and his colleague at Five/Four Robert Friedrich remastered the Decca recordings that were included in the four CD's that came with the book (Decca:Supreme Stereophonic Legacy by First Impression Music,now out of print). Winston did the producing, and Michael did the first two CD's, while Robert did the last two. Winston had a great sense of music and great ears, and he went back and forth with both Michael and Robert before he was satisfied with the sound. It was fun hearing the intermediate stages of the recordings and the subtle details. I even got a chance to put in my 2 cents worth from time to time.

Winston used Five/Four to do the remastering of many of his releases during the last 10 years of Winston's life (he passed away in 2016). Winston gave me an almost complete collection of the CD's he had released, including many Telarc reissues that he had Michael remaster, recordings that Michael had originally engineered. I have some of the original Telarc CD's which FIM reissued. Subtle improvements of the recordings can be heard. Very interesting when the same engineer gets a second chance to improve his original work.

Larry

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, Bruce. I didn't see your earlier post. Larry

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

Michael Bishop died yesterday at the age of 69. He won 10 Grammy Awards. He began at Telarc in 1978, where he was chief engineer for 20 years until Telarc closed its doors in 2008. He then cofounded Five/Four Productions with colleagues from Telarc.

I got to know him when I wrote my Decca book for Winston Ma from 2013-15. Michael and his colleague at Five/Four Robert Friedrich remastered the Decca recordings that were included in the four CD's that came with the book (Decca:Supreme Stereophonic Legacy by First Impression Music,now out of print). Winston did the producing, and Michael did the first two CD's, while Robert did the last two. Winston had a great sense of music and great ears, and he went back and forth with both Michael and Robert before he was satisfied with the sound. It was fun hearing the intermediate stages of the recordings and the subtle details. I even got a chance to put in my 2 cents worth from time to time.

Winston used Five/Four to do the remastering of many of his releases during the last 10 years of Winston's life (he passed away in 2016). Winston gave me an almost complete collection of the CD's he had released, including many Telarc reissues that he had Michael remaster, recordings that Michael had originally engineered. I have some of the original Telarc CD's which FIM reissued. Subtle improvements of the recordings can be heard. Very interesting when the same engineer gets a second chance to improve his original work.

Larry
Sad news.I have lots of Telarc cds.didn’t know Telarc doesn’t exist anymore.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing