Mundorf/Heil/ESS AMT designs.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Hi guys and happy new year.

I have a friend with a very good but modest system. He is looking to upgrade his old Monitor Audio Studio 20 floorstanding speakers and has caught the AMT bug.
I know of a few of the current designs incorporating this tried and true tweeter:
Both the dipole and the revised/new monopole designs are relevant.

Mark and Daniel
Monitor Audio
Elac
Horn Shoppe
Audio Project
ESS Labs
Heil
Wharfdale

Are there any I've missed? I know ADAM speakers from GDR used to use an AMT, but I'm not sure if they still offer one.

Maybe for the sake of completeness, we could also list high end speakers that use an AMT as well, dipole or otherwise..

Reactions: christoph

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello

Would your friend be interested in a DIY approach? The drivers are readily available at quite reasonable prices

http://esslabsusa.com/heil-amt/

They are also very DIY friendly. You can find many builds on the net and schematics and parts are available from ESS. If you have good wood working skills for the cabinets you can clone the systems.

I purchased a pair last year and built a 12" 2 way using the large Heil. They sound very good and were lots of fun to build.

Rob :)

Attachments

• 20200104_110713.jpg
    20200104_110713.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 7

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hello

Would your friend be interested in a DIY approach? The drivers are readily available at quite reasonable prices

http://esslabsusa.com/heil-amt/

They are also very DIY friendly. You can find many builds on the net and schematics and parts are available from ESS. If you have good wood working skills for the cabinets you can clone the systems.

I purchased a pair last year and built a 12" 2 way using the large Heil. They sound very good and were lots of fun to build.

Rob :)
I bet those speakers sound great. I have a pair of vintage ESS Hell Rock Monitors that sound excellent.

Reactions: Robh3606

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
A question just occured to me... Has there ever been a three way design incorporating the original heavy dipole heil-AMT as the tweeter? I had a pair of original ESS AMT1B 2 ways back in the 70s and always pined for a 3 way implementation.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
A question just occured to me... Has there ever been a three way design incorporating the original heavy dipole heil-AMT as the tweeter? I had a pair of original ESS AMT1B 2 ways back in the 70s and always pined for a 3 way implementation.
You just tickled my fantasy ;)
I could vividly imagine something like the Pure Audio Project 15 with that Heil Midrange/Tweeter instead of the other options PAP offers :p
http://www.pureaudioproject.com/quintet15-wall-of-sound-open-baffle-speakers/

How low can you cross over the big HEIL AMT?

That would probably make a VERY nice Speaker :eek:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
You just tickled my phantasy ;)
I could vividly imagine something like the Pure Audio Project 15 with that Heil Midrange/Tweeter instead of the other options PAP offers :p
http://www.pureaudioproject.com/quintet15-wall-of-sound-open-baffle-speakers/

How low can you cross over the big HEIL AMT?

That would probably make a VERY nice Speaker :eek:

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
You mean like this one?...;)

Reactions: christoph and Golum

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
You mean like this one?...;)
No, this one is "just" a tweeter but there is a huge midrange/tweeter incorporated into the Heil Kithara, that can be crossed over at 600hz and THAT would be interesting, I guess :cool:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I've been running some M&Ds for mamy years. The small AMT in those is very good off axis.

omasciarotte

Feb 24, 2022
Saint Paul MN US
www.maat.digital
…I could vividly imagine something like the Pure Audio Project 15 with that Heil Midrange/Tweeter instead of the other options PAP offers…

P.A.P. makes an ESS–equipped model. See:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
P.A.P. makes an ESS–equipped model. See:

Hi Oliver

Thanks for the link.
But this AMT/Heil driver is a tweeter (crossed over at around 2 kHz) and not the midrange/tweeter (to be crossed over at around 600 Hz) from Heil I have in mind (the one used in the Heil Kithara)

klick on the link above

omasciarotte

Feb 24, 2022
Saint Paul MN US
www.maat.digital
Thanks for the link.
But this AMT/Heil driver is a tweeter (crossed over at around 2 kHz) and not the midrange/tweeter (to be crossed over at around 600 Hz) from Heil I have in mind…
All good, sorry for the confusion. I’m hoping someday Ze’ve offers a version w/an upgraded AMT!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
All good, sorry for the confusion. I’m hoping someday Ze’ve offers a version w/an upgraded AMT!
No problem.
I hope that too, but unfortunately, it seems unlikely :confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing