Munich 2019 by Enjoy The Music

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
http://enjoythemusic.com/HIGH_END_2019/Weaver/

Final Thoughts
It may come as no surprise that yet again, the USA's The Audio Company room, with partners Valve Amplification Company and Von Schweikert Audio, receives my top honors as best sound of show. You may also find it no surprise to learn that an inordinately large number of other journalists, from the US as well as Europe and Asia, came to yet the same conclusion.
This remarkably fine level of achievement was realized because they did such an amazing job with room taming in these problematic spaces. By forgoing the use of large draped curtains that so many exhibitors use to combat the high selectivity and poor bass reinforcement available, and instead using very carefully and strategically placed TubeTraps and final loudspeaker placement, Georgia's The Audio Company once again knocked this one out of the sonic park in Atrium 4.2, E217.
tac_vac_vsa.jpg
Best of Show: The Audio Company, Esoteric, Acoustic Signature, Air Tight, Valve Amplification Company, and Von Schweikert Audio.

Sources were Germany's Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. turntable ($85,000), using a Japanese Air Tight Opus 1 cartridge ($16,000), or either the Japanese Esoteric Grandioso P1 CD transport ($38,000) or Esoteric N-01 network audio player ($20,000), feeding the Esoteric Grandioso D1 monoblock DACs ($38,000/pr.). The spectacular retro-industrial looking Valve Amplification Company's new 450i iQ integrated amplifier from the United States ($150,000) drove the USA's Von Schweikert Ultra 9 loudspeakers ($200,000/pr.). Equipment stands were from Spain's Artesania Audio, both the Esoteric Line (3-space racks x 2) and the Artesania Audio Air Force turntable shelf, with all cabling from the USA's MasterBuilt Ultra Line.

Saturday afternoon saw me doing my Audiophile DJ duties in this room. In fact, this entire audiophile LP listening session tradition started with these fine folks at the 2017 Capital Audiofest in Washington, DC, and the event has become somewhat of an ongoing show staple.
But the sonic performance in this room was astonishing; and perhaps even more impressive with its digital presentation than the analog rig could offer at this show. Bass performance was extended, fast, tight, powerful, yet highly pitch defined, no small trick at the MOC. Midrange was pure, with indisputably authentic timbre, full bodied texture, and rife with an immediacy and intimacy that was infectious. The upper frequencies were transparent, detailed, and extended, revealing that final degree of effortlessness, air, and shimmer as naturally as if the system was merely breathing.

I know many of you may be wondering how is it that this same combination of gear and team members can achieve best of show at every show where they exhibit, show after show. You should know that I've had this very conversation with at least a dozen-and-a-half other audio journalists over the past several years. We have all said, rhetorically, how can we award that room best of show again? Well, it all comes down to the reality of the performance.

When you examine the strategic combination of some of the best minds in the industry today (look at the list of partners involved with this system) with the most advanced and successful implementation of technologies, you have no problem understanding such an accomplishment, one that they have managed to repeat, show after show, virtually without exception, for more than two years now.
Think about it. Look at the achievements in any field where state-of-the-art technologies are applied to human endeavors, like Formula One automobile racing. Look at the successes of Ferrari under Ross Brawn, with the most successful driver in the history of the sport, Michael Schumacher, during the late 1990's and early 2000's, when Schumacher earned seven World Championships, five of them consecutively! Or those of Red Bull Racing under Adrian Newey and Christian Horner, with Sebastian Vettel in the cockpit during his three consecutive Championships in the early 2010's.
It should be seen as almost inevitable that when you combine the most advanced technologies, be that an inherently faster and more dependable race-winning automotive chassis and motor synergy, or bleeding-edge loudspeaker technologies driven by heroic valve-based electronics capable of turning in a more realistic recreation of a musical performance, with hard working, inspired, and dedicated professionals in their field, you achieve astonishing, repeatable successes.

And while a Best of Show designation may seem to be a more subjective form of "winning," in a clearly different kind of race, it is no less a first-place finish, crossing the sonic finish line ahead of the competition, and is every bit as real and distinguished an accomplishment. The number of shows over a year may be looked at as the number of races in a given season or series.
To that end, when you look at the repeated recognition conferred upon this travelling collection of gear and partners, by so many different journalists, from so many different media outlets, it becomes clear that they are having one championship season after another.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hi Lief, in F1 the teams with the biggest budgets on average win the most races. It looks like the same may be true in hi-fi. A hi-fi costing south of half a million dollars should sound stunning, given that budget is inversely proportional to design compromises. I’m not saying that money alone is the key....only that its a key enabler for highly creative designers. In F1, I’ve never been particularly impressed when the teams with the biggest budgets design race winning cars, since they can afford more of everything like wind tunnel testing etc. What impresses me are car and hi-fi manufacturers that turn a moderate budget into SOTA performance. The current BoS winner, listed above probably falls within the budget of less than 1% of hi-fi enthusiasts. It would be great to see a winner that fell within the budget of say 25% of audiophiles

Reactions: sujay

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Hi Lief, in F1 the teams with the biggest budgets on average win the most races. It looks like the same may be true in hi-fi. A hi-fi costing south of half a million dollars should sound stunning, given that budget is inversely proportional to design compromises. I’m not saying that money alone is the key....only that its a key enabler for highly creative designers. In F1, I’ve never been particularly impressed when the teams with the biggest budgets design race winning cars, since they can afford more of everything like wind tunnel testing etc. What impresses me are car and hi-fi manufacturers that turn a moderate budget into SOTA performance. The current BoS winner, listed above probably falls within the budget of less than 1% of hi-fi enthusiasts. It would be great to see a winner that fell within the budget of say 25% of audiophiles

I currently own two pairs of VSA speakers, but one, Ultra 9's, are still being built so my experience is limited to factory visits and shows. My other pair, E3 mk2's simply blows my mind because at $10k, I think it is the best sounding speaker I have heard at that price point. There are so many similarities in design but with financial and space limitations that are not factors for the Ultra Line,

Like Greg, I listen to be transfixed to a different place to help me relax after a tough day at work My goal is to emulate reality, and the cheaper the better.The E3 mk 2's are remarkable in their ability to do that, as has been the consensus of all who have heard them at my house and many who have heard them at shows. Sure the Ultra 9's are better, but they should be at 20 times the cost. But then virtually all high end no longer has a good value proposition. I do not hear you making the same comments about similarly priced Wilsons and electronics, Magico and electronics, etc.,and yet a growing list of high end reviewers are politely stating that VSA, VAC, TAC, MB, Esoteric are regularly getting better sound than similarly priced components in the same challenging environments. What is not mentioned is that this group of true winners spends money on sound that listeners can hear and judge for themselves, rather than buy support via advertising dollars.

What saddens me is it appears that among the big boys, price-wise, it seems to be a more highly political pay to play environment where the part of the budget you are ignoring is advertising dollars. I have never heard Lief or Damon use excuses for less than optimal sound at shows. Instead, they work and use the tuning capabilities of the speakers to bring out their best regardless of the environment.There is a reason that the word "reality" is used so often to describe the sound of VSA products, especially when driven by products that help demonstrate the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeagoatLeo

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hi Russ,
I wasn’t picking on VSA or any manufacturer in particular.....just happened that VSA posted the above, which I answered. My point was mainly that a half million dollar system has very little relevance to the majority of the hi-fi buying public the same as a Grand Prix winning Mercedes has little relevance to the everyday car buying public. I’m just questioning the relevance of winning best sound at show with a system that costs the equivalent of 20 years salary for the average joe. A few of us are lucky enough to be able to spend multiple tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on hi-fi, its just that throwing very large sums of money at endeavours and outspending the competition often proves to be a winning formula

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hi Russ,
I wasn’t picking on VSA or any manufacturer in particular.....just happened that VSA posted the above, which I answered. My point was mainly that a half million dollar system has very little relevance to the majority of the hi-fi buying public the same as a Grand Prix winning Mercedes has little relevance to the everyday car buying public. I’m just questioning the relevance of winning best sound at show with a system that costs the equivalent of 20 years salary for the average joe. A few of us are lucky enough to be able to spend multiple tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on hi-fi, its just that throwing very large sums of money at endeavours and outspending the competition often proves to be a winning formula
Hi Blacmores,
The above post is a show report that I am posting here for followers of Von Schweikert or anyone else interested in reading. But if you look at our show report history, even our $8,000 E-3MkIi speaker has won numerous best of show awards. We just happen to be promoting our flagship line at this point in time. Next week we will showing a much less expensive speaker at the L.A. show. I look forward to seeing WBF members next week.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
http://enjoythemusic.com/HIGH_END_2019/Weaver/

Final Thoughts
It may come as no surprise that yet again, the USA's The Audio Company room, with partners Valve Amplification Company and Von Schweikert Audio, receives my top honors as best sound of show. You may also find it no surprise to learn that an inordinately large number of other journalists, from the US as well as Europe and Asia, came to yet the same conclusion.
This remarkably fine level of achievement was realized because they did such an amazing job with room taming in these problematic spaces. By forgoing the use of large draped curtains that so many exhibitors use to combat the high selectivity and poor bass reinforcement available, and instead using very carefully and strategically placed TubeTraps and final loudspeaker placement, Georgia's The Audio Company once again knocked this one out of the sonic park in Atrium 4.2, E217.
View attachment 53234
Best of Show: The Audio Company, Esoteric, Acoustic Signature, Air Tight, Valve Amplification Company, and Von Schweikert Audio.

Sources were Germany's Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. turntable ($85,000), using a Japanese Air Tight Opus 1 cartridge ($16,000), or either the Japanese Esoteric Grandioso P1 CD transport ($38,000) or Esoteric N-01 network audio player ($20,000), feeding the Esoteric Grandioso D1 monoblock DACs ($38,000/pr.). The spectacular retro-industrial looking Valve Amplification Company's new 450i iQ integrated amplifier from the United States ($150,000) drove the USA's Von Schweikert Ultra 9 loudspeakers ($200,000/pr.). Equipment stands were from Spain's Artesania Audio, both the Esoteric Line (3-space racks x 2) and the Artesania Audio Air Force turntable shelf, with all cabling from the USA's MasterBuilt Ultra Line.

Saturday afternoon saw me doing my Audiophile DJ duties in this room. In fact, this entire audiophile LP listening session tradition started with these fine folks at the 2017 Capital Audiofest in Washington, DC, and the event has become somewhat of an ongoing show staple.
But the sonic performance in this room was astonishing; and perhaps even more impressive with its digital presentation than the analog rig could offer at this show. Bass performance was extended, fast, tight, powerful, yet highly pitch defined, no small trick at the MOC. Midrange was pure, with indisputably authentic timbre, full bodied texture, and rife with an immediacy and intimacy that was infectious. The upper frequencies were transparent, detailed, and extended, revealing that final degree of effortlessness, air, and shimmer as naturally as if the system was merely breathing.

I know many of you may be wondering how is it that this same combination of gear and team members can achieve best of show at every show where they exhibit, show after show. You should know that I've had this very conversation with at least a dozen-and-a-half other audio journalists over the past several years. We have all said, rhetorically, how can we award that room best of show again? Well, it all comes down to the reality of the performance.

When you examine the strategic combination of some of the best minds in the industry today (look at the list of partners involved with this system) with the most advanced and successful implementation of technologies, you have no problem understanding such an accomplishment, one that they have managed to repeat, show after show, virtually without exception, for more than two years now.
Think about it. Look at the achievements in any field where state-of-the-art technologies are applied to human endeavors, like Formula One automobile racing. Look at the successes of Ferrari under Ross Brawn, with the most successful driver in the history of the sport, Michael Schumacher, during the late 1990's and early 2000's, when Schumacher earned seven World Championships, five of them consecutively! Or those of Red Bull Racing under Adrian Newey and Christian Horner, with Sebastian Vettel in the cockpit during his three consecutive Championships in the early 2010's.
It should be seen as almost inevitable that when you combine the most advanced technologies, be that an inherently faster and more dependable race-winning automotive chassis and motor synergy, or bleeding-edge loudspeaker technologies driven by heroic valve-based electronics capable of turning in a more realistic recreation of a musical performance, with hard working, inspired, and dedicated professionals in their field, you achieve astonishing, repeatable successes.

And while a Best of Show designation may seem to be a more subjective form of "winning," in a clearly different kind of race, it is no less a first-place finish, crossing the sonic finish line ahead of the competition, and is every bit as real and distinguished an accomplishment. The number of shows over a year may be looked at as the number of races in a given season or series.
To that end, when you look at the repeated recognition conferred upon this travelling collection of gear and partners, by so many different journalists, from so many different media outlets, it becomes clear that they are having one championship season after another.
Beautiful system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing