Murasakino “Sumile” - New Cartridge.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
so, after some teasing around the web i pulled the trigger on a bunch of "new" cartridges that getting a lot of attention and consider top notch and very highly recommended (more to come).
my VDH Colibri strad' is playing for over 50 hours now.. and yesterday the SUMILE arrived from Japan to my door after two week of waiting patiently.
the Sumile comes in a wonderful looking box with all those Japanese aesthetics touch..
i was waiting for my Ikeda 407 CR1 to also for mounting the SUMILE on it, and surpassingly i had them together on the same day.

the Sumile already played for 5-6 hour today- and shown a VERY good prospect to be one of "go to cart" for a full and live dynamic presentation!.
its a BIG wall of sound, with a fast upper mid and full mids with low and punchy bass notes. its not as detail or open as the VDH or flat responding as the Ortofon ANNA... but got a sound signature that hold you down to your chair for hours! (i can see my days lengthen in my music room to the late hours of the night with it).
il wait for some final conclusions after it fully break in, but for now it is very promising!

AVI_3483.jpg

AVI_3489.jpg

AVI_3511.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi,

I have been listening to this cart in a friend’s system many times since December. The sound is indeed very live with wonderful intoxicating tone and body. It also has the frequency extension often curtailed from such a signature. I will be getting one later this year I am fairly certain. Can’t see what else you would want from a cartridge. The vdh simply doesn’t sound like music in this same way mainly due to inferiority of its timbral resolution - I haven’t heard the strad but have the colibri xgw.

Best.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi,

I have been listening to this cart in a friend’s system many times since December. The sound is indeed very live with wonderful intoxicating tone and body. It also has the frequency extension often curtailed from such a signature. I will be getting one later this year I am fairly certain. Can’t see what else you would want from a cartridge. The vdh simply doesn’t sound like music in this same way mainly due to inferiority of its timbral resolution - I haven’t heard the strad but have the colibri xgw.

Best.
Hi Bill
Glad to see someone is interesting (although many asked about before).

Great that you manage to auditioned it before buying\ordering it.
i was not so lucky so i have to ordered it blind (after reading Jeff day review on PF)
It is- a bit curtailed, in a sense. but i would never mentioned it, if i didn't had the VDH on the other arm to compare to.
i don't think- like you said; that the VDH can compete with the Sumile timber and over-all presentation. but, i will not call the strad' inferior. (I know you didn't also).
it's a very different flavor and sound types! not opposite direction but different in a big way in how the convey and render notes from the groove.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I know Bill pretty well, he has a fantastic ear, is v fussy (for good reason), and when he likes something, it means there’s something to like.
And I know he REALLY likes this cart.
Chat btwn us uses the word “natural” a lot re this cart.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I know Bill pretty well, he has a fantastic ear, is v fussy (for good reason), and when he likes something, it means there’s something to like.
And I know he REALLY likes this cart.
Chat btwn us uses the word “natural” a lot re this cart.

As Tango and David says in another thread down here, natural is a tricky word, that everybody can take differently i supposed.
i can see how Bill relate to the Sumile as natural but i wouldn't use that word for myself.
It has more signature and sound to itslef to be clear natural..., my Ortofon ANNA is a NATURAL cart. very easy on the ears and very flat responsive.
The Sumile bring the Music outside from the groove in a bigger LIFE LIKE way! i will use mainly the word JOY to describe it.
it is more like Koetsu flavor then clear audio if you get my drift

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
Surprisingly its been 2 years since any responce to this post so i'll give it a try.
I''ve been using the Sumile for several months now and still find myself amazed.
This cartridge is the real deal.
It definitely costs more then I could afford but in this hobby the pharse "reasonably priced" doesn't exist.
If you love music you must hear the Sumile and like love, you will do anything to obtain it.

Reactions: amadeus and hogen

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
There is usually one cart in the spotlight at any given time. Currently the light shines elsewhere ;)

Sounds like you are in a state of analog-induced joy. What a nice place to be.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Surprisingly its been 2 years since any responce to this post so i'll give it a try.
I''ve been using the Sumile for several months now and still find myself amazed.
This cartridge is the real deal.
It definitely costs more then I could afford but in this hobby the pharse "reasonably priced" doesn't exist.
If you love music you must hear the Sumile and like love, you will do anything to obtain it.

There is usually one cart in the spotlight at any given time. Currently the light shines elsewhere ;)

Sounds like you are in a state of analog-induced joy. What a nice place to be.

the Sumile was on my short list when i purchased the Etsuro Gold. and i could see acquiring one at some point in the future. not heard it, but very impressed by what i've heard about it.

i really like that it was voiced using a Durand tonearm. i can relate to that.

Reactions: amadeus

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

Attachments

• IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2631.jpg
    IMG_2631.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2633.jpg
    IMG_2633.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 61

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
What is the dynamic compliance of this cartridge? I may put it down on my list for trials if it plays well with a Kuzma 4 point

Reactions: bazelio

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
What is the dynamic compliance of this cartridge? I may put it down on my list for trials if it plays well with a Kuzma 4 point

no info in the web. There is a review I like, and a Schick tonearm was used. So I assume medium to heavy arms are preferred (as with many Japanese carts) . I tried Ikeda 345. Works fine. Should work with 4point as well.
You can try the heavy Soundsmith (6g) headshell screws to fine tune your 4point to the Sumile.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
no info in the web. There is a review I like, and a Schick tonearm was used. So I assume medium to heavy arms are preferred (as with many Japanese carts) . I tried Ikeda 345. Works fine. Should work with 4point as well.
You can try the heavy Soundsmith (6g) headshell screws to fine tune your 4point to the Sumile.

General owned it on the Vyger. Never heard it myself

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: bazelio

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This cartridge resembles my MySonicLab Sig. Gold with that curved top plate, recessed mounting screw channels on the sides, and it even shares the same stylus guard. I enjoyed reading the review provided by the link and noticed that the designer worked for AirTight at one time. The MSL designer, Yoshio Matsudaira was or is involved with cartridge work for AirTight. The sonic descriptions in these recent posts also remind me a bit of the sound of my MSL.

Has anyone compared the MSL cartridges to this Sumile?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
This cartridge resembles my MySonicLab Sig. Gold with that curved top plate, recessed mounting screw channels on the sides, and it even shares the same stylus guard. I enjoyed reading the review provided by the link and noticed that the designer worked for AirTight at one time. The MSL designer, Yoshio Matsudaira was or is involved with cartridge work for AirTight. The sonic descriptions in these recent posts also remind me a bit of the sound of my MSL.

Has anyone compared the MSL cartridges to this Sumile?

MSL are OEM for many japanese cartridges. Some of them do use their available technology (like Neodym magnets).

Unfortunately I had not heard the latest MSL carts in comparison to Sumile. But in the last years, I had the impression, that MSL is doing a good OEM work in that way, that the produced carts do sound according to the original designer intention. Even the close relation ship from Air Tight and MSL has not make their carts sounding similar. So my guess is, that Sumile and MSL do sound different, but still showing similar design features.

As with MSL, the important bit on Sumile is the correct load. Using the classy 100ohm will make the Sumile do sound bright in comparison to my Soundsmith carts. Using 20ohm the tonal balance is similar to Soundsmith. (in my set up).

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Reactions: bonzo75

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The Top Wing Carts are on my list :)

I did some of the 4 to 6k eur carts.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...9-tt-ortofon-windfeld-ti-air-tight-pc1.28733/

Now doing some 8 to 10k eur carts. (looking for an affordable Fuuga...)

Red Sparrow is 14k in Germany, which is the next level in pricing (and hopefully in quality)

Red Sparrow: It is a very fussy cart so be warned. If it works, it is incredible as though no cart is there. If it doesn’t it will sound super thin and sterile.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing