Music server solution

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
Would appreciate any input from members on their experience of more modest music streamers ie not in the SGM league! but will run 4 x DSD with usb.
I have been very successfully using a fanless mini itx ssd computer for the last 12 months but the motherboard has just failed for a second time (got the first one replaced under warranty) so I am considering an off the shelf solution.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Would appreciate any input from members on their experience of more modest music streamers ie not in the SGM league! but will run 4 x DSD with usb.
I have been very successfully using a fanless mini itx ssd computer for the last 12 months but the motherboard has just failed for a second time (got the first one replaced under warranty) so I am considering an off the shelf solution.
Any model from the current Antipodes range supports up to DSD512 playback plus ROON and many other software players. I am a very happy owner of DX Gen2, soon to be upgraded to Gen3. I would go for a Core or DX Gen3 model as they are now built around the latest hardware circuit.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Given that you're in the UK, I'd go for one of the Innuos models. Start at least with a Zen.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Given that you're in the UK, I'd go for one of the Innuos models. Start at least with a Zen.

I was thinking the same thing.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
+1 for Antipodes. Optimized well for USB.

jacobacci

Jan 8, 2017
Not an off the shelf solution, but interesting with very little costs of regret:
I have been using several Odroid C2 with Volumio2 for the past two years. Simple to set up and use, excellent sound quality.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not really. To start with, you don't need to upsample. You can always ask Greg to demo you the Lampi server.

But I would also try the Aurender, Melco, for native. See what you like.

jacobacci

Jan 8, 2017
Ah, good you mention that you intend to use HQ Player or jRiver. Are you planning to upsample PCM to DSD256 (=4xDSD)? Or will you play material that is already in DSD256 form?
For the first you need significant horsepower (=PC). For the second I would really try a tiny Odroid / Volumio box.
See Archimago's Blog. It's a fun little project, does not cost a lot and delivers very good sound on top of it. I learned a lot putting this together.
I do NOT recommend using a Rapberry PI3, as the RP3 uses a shared controller for USB and ethernet which bottlenecks the performance of both. The Odroid has a dedicated gigabit ethernet controller, so its performance is much better suites to audio.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oxford audio has most servers. Take your GG and go there. Aurender was sonically the best there but they did not have the Melco then, so never heard. Then get in-house demo of Lampi from Greg. That upsamples.

I wouldn't buy one for upsampling functionality unless it matched up sonically to other streamers. Auralic for example upsamples but has digitits as do some computers, imo.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
it's weird - the Aurenders and Auralics are the traditional "hifi" boxes and look impeccably designed and easy to use.

but with Roon, you really need a different product as you have to run Core. i'm struggling with computer type boxes as I foresee issues, but outside of Roon Nucleus perhaps, I'm not sure there is a better option. Innuos has double (isolated) ethernet jacks which seems good.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The Melcro is a good product, but given that he's in the UK, I thought the Innuos was the best bet, because:

1. It's local, likely less expensive and with better/easier support.
2. More functionality, like CD ripping, etc.
3. More CPU power, thus able to do Roon Core, including upsampling/DSP.

I've listened to both, and I preferred the overall Innuos package.

cheers,
alex

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
The Melcro is a good product, but given that he's in the UK, I thought the Innuos was the best bet, because:

cheers,
alex

That makes sense to me although the DSP in Roon may have limitations with the Innuous processing horsepower. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing IMO, especially if your dac is better with bit perfect. Smaller processor, less voltage, ram etc leads to improved SQ to many. Through in the SE package with upgraded power supply and and you have a winner.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk

ZENITH MK.II STD

cheers,
alex

Thanks for your input Alex

Innuos looks like a good bet, especially as they do a trial period. Did you prefer the sound of the Innuos to a Melco, Would I be able to use Jriver on the Innuos?

Anyone been able to compare the Innuos ZENITH MK.II STD to the SE version? presumably the SE is better but is getting a bit pricey.

Dave

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Certainly Innuos Zenith, Std or SE, is a risk free option for entry into streaming, with plenty of good support in the U.K. at least.
It seems intuitive to use, and customer support positive.
If I ever decide to jump off the fence into streaming, it’s likely my port of call.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Certainly Innuos Zenith, Std or SE, is a risk free option for entry into streaming, with plenty of good support in the U.K. at least.
It seems intuitive to use, and customer support positive.
If I ever decide to jump off the fence into streaming, it’s likely my port of call.

It is hard for me to decide what path to go. I don't have the chance down here to compare options.

Do you have any idea of the SQ of Innuos SE or MKII compared to SGM?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing