Music server solution

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No, but I can tell you SGM is absolutely sublime, hearing it on a 4-6 weekly basis since release.
It’s as close to an analog sound as you’re likely to get with digital.
I’m in close contact with the U.K. representative for it, and I am seriously tempted.
My personal hesitation is more based on the fact that I remain a physical media person, have an extremely special cdp, superlative analog, and am struggling to commit to streaming.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
No, but I can tell you SGM is absolutely sublime, hearing it on a 4-6 weekly basis since release.
It’s as close to an analog sound as you’re likely to get with digital.
I’m in close contact with the U.K. representative for it, and I am seriously tempted.
My personal hesitation is more based on the fact that I remain a physical media person, have an extremely special cdp, superlative analog, and am struggling to commit to streaming.

Thank you very much. Yes, Mark is tempting me on SGM since last year when I got my Aqua with him. But it is very expensive to buy without comparing to my system with UltraRendu. I would have to analyze if the investment is worth.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Certainly Innuos Zenith, Std or SE, is a risk free option for entry into streaming, with plenty of good support in the U.K. at least.
It seems intuitive to use, and customer support positive.
If I ever decide to jump off the fence into streaming, it’s likely my port of call.

Spirit- I just ordered a Zenith Std from Alex. For the money, not sure it can be beat.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, I’m really the worst customer for one of these things.
Not a natural, intuitive user. I love those varied doorstops called LPs, CDs, BRs.
There is just so much choice, from Oppo Sonica to Auralic Mini, Auralic Aries to Innuous Zenith, Zenith SE to Antipodes/Aurender/CAD, to SGM.
And plenty in between, Melco, Pink Faun, Audio AanZee, Fidata.
Etc etc etc.
For me, I have to balance a whole set of disparate tensions. Desire to even get into streaming converted to action to buy, price v performance, reputation/longevity/provenance/engineering know-how, back-up/networking in the U.K.
So, for me this means that if I sit here TRULY finding it hard to believe I can get a better digital or analog sound than my current cdp and tt without spending £25-35k on both (I truly believe my sources seriously punch well above their price points), what will £10k spent on Zenith/reasonable dac (eg Aqua La Voce) sound like in comparison, if it’s a step down, then I won’t choose to immerse myself in Tidal/Roon, more likely to stick w my current sources.
Additionally so much of my genres of prog and fusion are still best served by physical media, but OTOH I am aware there will be many gems on Tidal/Roon I’d love to hear.
And streamers like AudioAanZee, Pink Faun, Antipodes etc don’t exactly have any U.K. profile, and Fidata etc doesn’t support Roon.
Innuous Zenith seems to be the best compromise/balance, in having excellent SQ, maybe beginning to approach SGM levels, bulletproof U.K. profile/service, good competitive price point, and intuitive ease of use/good customer support.
Asuify has certainly encouraged me too to seriously consider the Zenith.

What is Jason Kennedy like as a reviewer, can his words be reasonably relied on?

Last edited:

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Spirit- I just ordered a Zenith Std from Alex. For the money, not sure it can be beat.

I chat yesterday with Alex. I am almost convinced to go zenith std.
Would you please post your impressions when it is burned in? I’d appreciate it.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Keith, I’m really the worst customer for one of these things.
Not a natural, intuitive user. I love those varied doorstops called LPs, CDs, BRs.
There is just so much choice, from Oppo Sonica to Auralic Mini, Auralic Aries to Innuous Zenith, Zenith SE to Antipodes/Aurender/CAD, to SGM.
And plenty in between, Melco, Pink Faun, Audio AanZee, Fidata.
Etc etc etc.
For me, I have to balance a whole set of disparate tensions. Desire to even get into streaming converted to action to buy, price v performance, reputation/longevity/provenance/engineering know-how, back-up/networking in the U.K.
So, for me this means that if I sit here TRULY finding it hard to believe I can get a better digital or analog sound than my current cdp and tt without spending £25-35k on both (I truly believe my sources seriously punch well above their price points), what will £10k spent on Zenith/reasonable dac (eg Aqua La Voce) sound like in comparison, if it’s a step down, then I won’t choose to immerse myself in Tidal/Roon, more likely to stick w my current sources.
Additionally so much of my genres of prog and fusion are still best served by physical media, but OTOH I am aware there will be many gems on Tidal/Roon I’d love to hear.
And streamers like AudioAanZee, Pink Faun, Antipodes etc don’t exactly have any U.K. profile, and Fidata etc doesn’t support Roon.
Innuous Zenith seems to be the best compromise/balance, in having excellent SQ, maybe beginning to approach SGM levels, bulletproof U.K. profile/service, good competitive price point, and intuitive ease of use/good customer support.
Asuify has certainly encouraged me too to seriously consider the Zenith.

What is Jason Kennedy like as a reviewer, can his words be reasonably relied on?
Antipodes has both a distributor and a service center in the UK:
http://antipodesaudio.com/service.html
http://antipodesaudio.com/buy.html
Not sure,why it does not qualify for the UK profile...

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure, I’ll answer. Audiostore didn’t jump out at me as a typical shop or store that can provide full demo service/aftersales, more a kind of Internet reseller. Apologies if that’s incorrect or I’ve underestimated their function.
Would Audiostore be able to demo the Antipodes line in a full system with one or two different dacs?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks for your input Alex

Innuos looks like a good bet, especially as they do a trial period. Did you prefer the sound of the Innuos to a Melco, Would I be able to use Jriver on the Innuos?

Anyone been able to compare the Innuos ZENITH MK.II STD to the SE version? presumably the SE is better but is getting a bit pricey.

Dave

I don't know about JRiver, I try to forget my experience with it (it was horrendous). I much prefer Roon, or alternatively, UPNP/Openhome, both protocols that the Innuos can handle.

I haven't compared the SE directly to the Std., but it's irrelevant now, since you can't get an SE anymore, they're all gone. I think I sold the last 2 units :)

cheers,
Alex

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Alex, better to have less choice, yes?
Interesting you never compared the two. I guess if you liked the Std sound, and wanted just a bit more, the SE fitted the bill.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hey Alex, better to have less choice, yes?
Interesting you never compared the two. I guess if you liked the Std sound, and wanted just a bit more, the SE fitted the bill.

Marc,

Well, it was just timing. When we received the SE, we only had the mid-tier Zen in the store. So a comparison wouldn't make sense. And of course, the client wanted his SE, so I had to ship it out within 2-3 days, so that's all the time I had with it. The lucky owner actually posts here on WBF, so maybe he'll chip in with his impressions...

But of course, I've lived long enough with the Zenith Std. to know it well. I'm actually listening to it right now, going into the MSB SELECT. Just beautiful...

cheers,
alex

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Alex, you can take credit for one thing, keeping me in the game re streaming. Yes, I’m still on the fence (my default position on a few things in life), and I love to create as many reasons (excuses?) not to commit, but now I’ve dialed in my analog to a level unheard before, have my cdp sorted, and am committed to one last series of system-wide isolation platforms to take my sound to the next level, I can put my mental energies into where to go on streaming, as opposed to the usual upgrade dilemmas on other sources, amps, spkrs etc.
So I know I’m not a customer of yours, but you’re to be commended for digging me enough in the ribs for me to still have an interest in streaming.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
So I know I’m not a customer of yours, but you’re to be commended for digging me enough in the ribs for me to still have an interest in streaming.

Hey Marc,

Well, that's all I could hope for in the forums. That my enthusiasm for this stuff somehow came across, and people gave it an honest shot at it.

cheers,
alex

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I don't know about JRiver, I try to forget my experience with it (it was horrendous). I much prefer Roon, or alternatively, UPNP/Openhome, both protocols that the Innuos can handle.

I haven't compared the SE directly to the Std., but it's irrelevant now, since you can't get an SE anymore, they're all gone. I think I sold the last 2 units :)

cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex, it is just that I have Jriver and HQplayer on my PC already - oh well don't have to consider the SE then!

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
Hi Marc

you will have to to come over and hear my TT, have improved it in a few areas - it now sits on a mega Panzerholz plinth.
Also, I will have to check out the Innuos so you could compare streaming to analogue!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That’s a date (at a later date).
And you have a return invite to hear the joys of a fully tricked out rim drive w air arm, and the magical effects of near perfect room acoustics, dedicated power and Stacore isolation.
Yes, I’d very much love to hear yr tt and comparison with Innuous/GG.
Let’s sort something out.

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Marc,

Well, it was just timing. When we received the SE, we only had the mid-tier Zen in the store. So a comparison wouldn't make sense. And of course, the client wanted his SE, so I had to ship it out within 2-3 days, so that's all the time I had with it. The lucky owner actually posts here on WBF, so maybe he'll chip in with his impressions...

But of course, I've lived long enough with the Zenith Std. to know it well. I'm actually listening to it right now, going into the MSB SELECT. Just beautiful...

cheers,
alex

Hi Alex (and this is also for Keith): does the ethernet streaming out on the Innuos Zenith work with the MSB network renderer input module? My Innuos dealer thinks it likely will but said that another streamer he sells does not work with the Innuos ethernet out, and the streamer manufacturer is working on a software fix. My MSB dealer asked MSB this question and MSB's response was a little cryptic but seemed to say that it should work.

If the answer is 'yes', I will be buying the Zenith Mk3 today and using the store's demo Mk2 on loan until the Mk3 arrives (apparently end of July/mid-August). The Zenith (Mk2 or Mk3) to me seems superior to the Nucleus + (the other option on my shortlist), so long as I am not running DSP nor upsampling through Roon.

Cheers,

Andrew

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
AJR,

Yes, it does work, and it has worked with every network-enabled DACs and streamers we've tried (Linn, Auralic, darTZeel LHC-208, etc.)

You're going to love the Innuos, and of course, the MSB as well :)

cheers,
Alex

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
AJR,

Yes, it does work, and it has worked with every network-enabled DACs and streamers we've tried (Linn, Auralic, darTZeel LHC-208, etc.)

You're going to love the Innuos, and of course, the MSB as well :)

cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing