My DIY 2A3 amplifier

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Looks nice so long as you have banana plug speaker cables.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Nice! Winding your own trafos!! Big props there.

Any hum as a result of using AC heating? Did you consider interstage trafos instead of coupling caps?

bigbulb

Jan 26, 2019
Hi all,
Thanks! I have no hum problem because I'm using DC filaments. I tried AC and need a multi-turn balance pot to null out hum .
Yes, I love interstage transformer. I'm winding my own interstage transformer now, prepare to build another 4P1L single ended.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Ok, I wasn't sure from the schematic, but I guess that F1 box is a rectifer. Have you tried a filament regulator?

bigbulb

Jan 26, 2019
Ok, I wasn't sure from the schematic, but I guess that F1 box is a rectifer. Have you tried a filament regulator?

Hi. Sorry , I should mention thats a rectifier. will edit it now. thanks for pointed out my mistake! I have filament biased board I built my own. It was in my other 2A3 , In fact, I built 6SN7-2A3, 717A-2A3, and 6C45-2A3 , and now 6E6P-2A3. filament bias board ( filament constant current + capacitor multiplier , just like Rod Coleman DHT filament regulator )
The filament regulator did provide good dynamic, and this amplifier is just to try out plate choke loaded driver stage.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Great!! It's a lot of fun to tinker with this stuff. I wish I had time for it. Speaking of Rod Coleman, have you seen his shunt cascode design? I'd love to hear an amp based on that very interesting topology. He found a Russian 6E5P DHT (I think) makes a great driver for 2A3 or 300b - very high gain and linear. Maybe I should commission a build from you! ;-)

bigbulb

Jan 26, 2019
I have bunch of 6E5P as well, its nearly the same as 6E6P, both are very linear. 6E5Ps RP are slightly lower than 6E6P but I choose 6E6P because it last longer than 6E5P , This amp will ship to new owner one day, ( have to go, to fund my others project ) thats why I hope it can last longer. Thanks for the info about the shunt cascode design. I haven't try yet, but I did built something like constant current load for vacuum tube, a lot of fun to play with it.
Too many projects, too little time.
The new external microphone still on its way , I bought from Ebay, takes a long while to cross the pond. Hopefully it can provide me with better recording. Sure I will post an update here, thanks !

Reactions: bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing