My end-game speakers

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
@sbo6 to be clear (to me), your preference with the m900s was: run both amps in stereo, with left output from one amp to left speaker, and right output of one amp to right speaker? Hmmm. Have not tried that. And no downsides? Cheers...
Correct. If you run them in mono where the amp requires you to use the left channel speaker output and you want to compare it to stereo mode using 1 channel, all you need to do is change the back switch from stereo to BTL (mono). Just make sure you turn off the amp first.

Also, FWIW, in my system, I noticed no difference in dynamics in mono vs. 1 channel per amp stereo.

LeoDuran

Apr 7, 2020
If the M10X is anything like its older brother the M900U and you decide to buy a second, try running them in stereo and use only 1 channel per speaker. I found this combination better than running each in mono in terms of overall sonics, especially clarity.
... If you run them in mono where the amp requires you to use the left channel speaker output and you want to compare it to stereo mode using 1 channel, all you need to do is change the back switch from stereo to BTL (mono). Just make sure you turn off the amp first.

Also, FWIW, in my system, I noticed no difference in dynamics in mono vs. 1 channel per amp stereo.
Wow... Very interesting!
(I presume this would work best on amps where both channels share the power supply, as opposed to dual-mono amps)
1690644788741.png

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Wow... Very interesting!
(I presume this would work best on amps where both channels share the power supply, as opposed to dual-mono amps)
View attachment 113935
I think this is the case as I don't believe the Luxmans are dual mono designed. Also, you would connect like this if you want to do a quick compare via flicking a switch: 1690645372375.png

Reactions: christoph

LeoDuran

Apr 7, 2020
I think this is the case as I don't believe the Luxmans are dual mono designed. Also, you would connect like this if you want to do a quick compare via flicking a switch:
Yeap!... Left-Chn on both amps! (since that's the active output in Mono/Bridge mode).
1690646637820.png
(BTW, just for the record... I intend to stay the course!... A single m900U is working fine with the Quads! :))

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
@sb06

Just to clarify, on the 900 is it Bridged in the Mono position? With my past two pairs of monoblocks they are either stereo, mono (1 rail both power supplies) or bridged mono.

I have 2912s and their protection circuitry kicks in at only 100watts.

Reactions: rob

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
@sb06

Just to clarify, on the 900 is it Bridged in the Mono position? With my past two pairs of monoblocks they are either stereo, mono (1 rail both power supplies) or bridged mono.

I have 2912s and their protection circuitry kicks in at only 100watts.
Not sure, however from Luxman's site is states that the M900U has a "large - capacity super - regulation power transformer", which I take as 1 transformer. So the supply is from one transformer and the amp is not a true dual mono design. So mono or stereo, the 1 transformer provides all the power.

DHT4ME

Apr 12, 2021
Las Vegas
You don’t mention your room treatments . Your 12 ft width is going to put the speakers close and i assume you will be sitting fairly close due to the narrow 12‘ room width. It’s really not that big of a room and could be easily overloaded with the confluence of the 12’ and 25’ wavelength. The bigger Magico really likes volume and lots of power. The M3 can suck down the Mac 1000w amp which just stuns me. If you are sitting close as your room dictates my guess is you will not get the M3 breathing.

LeoDuran

Apr 7, 2020
You don’t mention your room treatments . Your 12 ft width is going to put the speakers close and i assume you will be sitting fairly close due to the narrow 12‘ room width. It’s really not that big of a room and could be easily overloaded with the confluence of the 12’ and 25’ wavelength. The bigger Magico really likes volume and lots of power. The M3 can suck down the Mac 1000w amp which just stuns me. If you are sitting close as your room dictates my guess is you will not get the M3 breathing.
Thanks... I did not go with Magico, as mentioned here:
LeoDuran said:
Just wanted to close the loop on this old thread... I decided to just keep with my Quad 2905s.
I added a pair of REL subs, and the combo makes for very satisfying music!
View attachment 113805
The End!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks... I did not go with Magico, as mentioned here:
LeoDuran said:
Just wanted to close the loop on this old thread... I decided to just keep with my Quad 2905s.
I added a pair of REL subs, and the combo makes for very satisfying music!
View attachment 113805
The End!
Congratulations...I think that is a fantastic combination. Personally, I am a big fan of subs. Yes, for bass but really for scale, sense of venue, for S-P-A-C-E and tangibility of music. It really can open up the music presentation wonderfully. And you begin with a fantastic pair of speakers which I have heard a number of times in the past. Very special in the way that panels are.

Would love to hear more from you about what has happened to your music presentation with the new RELs. I bet its fantastic.

LeoDuran

Apr 7, 2020
Congratulations...I think that is a fantastic combination. Personally, I am a big fan of subs. Yes, for bass but really for scale, sense of venue, for S-P-A-C-E and tangibility of music. It really can open up the music presentation wonderfully. And you begin with a fantastic pair of speakers which I have heard a number of times in the past. Very special in the way that panels are.

Would love to hear more from you about what has happened to your music presentation with the new RELs. I bet its fantastic.
The RELs have opened up the presentation in a very tangible way!... As you said, it's not just about adding the lower octaves, but also about providing reference to the stuff above that (hence also the rationale for using a pair of subs)... And the end result has been a more engaging and enjoyable listening experience!

BTW, I had help from a few audiophiles in my Community... To place the subs, we measured and listened until we found what seemed like the optimal spot given the space constraints (the room ain't perfect by any stretch!).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The RELs have opened up the presentation in a very tangible way!... As you said, it's not just about adding the lower octaves, but also about providing reference to the stuff above that (hence also the rationale for using a pair of subs)... And the end result has been a more engaging and enjoyable listening experience!

BTW, I had help from a few audiophiles in my Community... To place the subs, we measured and listened until we found what seemed like the optimal spot given the space constraints (the room ain't perfect by any stretch!).
Excellent to hear! That sounds fantastic, and I really need to hear RELs for myself. This latest generation of RELs seem really fantastic by all accounts. As for your room not being perfect...no room ever is!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing