My happy place

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
This is the result of years of trying different options not unlike everyone here.

I truly believe I can live out my life without changing equipment short of something self destructing.

I chose a monochromatic room to not have distractions and the greens as I find them relaxing.

uCk2d2uCQUm%vgFl+PKN+g.jpg rzG1IuUfQqqS%OuRORFaIA.jpg Jvm5aESFQ%W1sRQPdtAsRA.jpg ZZ7KmfioR7Wiy8jh+2OVow.jpg

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Very nice :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations on such a great system! The REF 610 are a impressive sounding amplifiers with a low output impedance - surely a top match with the CLX. How are you driving the subs?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Are those acoustic treatment panels as scary as they look?
Fantastic room...I went with a mid level grey myself.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Great looking space and an enviable equipment loadout! Those are the oddest looking diffusion panels I've ever seen though @brad225. I'm curious as to the manufacturer, design principle, and efficacy. Care to share?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think this room is beautiful! Congratulations on the room and the system!

I love the very serious all-tube power you chose to drive the CLXs!

Are you using three subwoofers or four (as your system description suggests)?

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Are those acoustic treatment panels as scary as they look?
Fantastic room...I went with a mid level grey myself.

Yes they are scary and good at keeping children out. :)

Reactions: Lagonda

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Great looking space and an enviable equipment loadout! Those are the oddest looking diffusion panels I've ever seen though @brad225. I'm curious as to the manufacturer, design principle, and efficacy. Care to share?

I have an Electrical Engineer friend that mods and rebuilds every piece of equipment he comes near. He brought 2 of them over for me to try and I was surprised at the detail it added to the system.
They are plastic Martini Glasses without the bottom. They are glued to foam core and I then painted them to my preferred color.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Congratulations on such a great system! The REF 610 are a impressive sounding amplifiers with a low output impedance - surely a top match with the CLX. How are you driving the subs?

I run them fed from the 610t's. They have the ability to be controlled much better. When I tried line level the controls on each sub was maybe 25% as effective as the speaker lever control.

It always seemed to me that having the signal that fed the main speakers would be better to feed the subs. Just more cohesive.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I think this room is beautiful! Congratulations on the room and the system!

I love the very serious all-tube power you chose to drive the CLXs!

Are you using three subwoofers or four (as your system description suggests)?

I was using 4 until about a month ago when I hosted our local audio group. I needed the room behind the main listening chair for more seating. I pulled the sub out and readjusted for 3. It has sounded so good I have yet to put it back

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Nice Brad , I hope all is well already w/ the REF610T , love those amps , mine are not leaving anytime soon . I hope you were able to try KT120’s w/ your REF 610T . Love your room Brad .

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Very nice! Enjoy!!

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
You must have a superhero HVAC install for that room in order to manage the heat from all those tubes. I ended up parting ways with my Aesthetix IO and Callisto and ARC Classic 150 monos as I couldn't enjoy them for extended sessions outside of the Fall & Winter months. The waste heat in my 14'x20'x11' dedicated room couldn't be adequately managed by our HVAC.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Beautiful room ! What are the dimensions ?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Wow great looking room. Clx were a bucket list speaker for me to audition last year. Almost impossible to find. I would even have gone the ML corporate office to hear them but they did not have any. Congrats.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Nice Brad , I hope all is well already w/ the REF610T , love those amps , mine are not leaving anytime soon . I hope you were able to try KT120’s w/ your REF 610T . Love your room Brad .

I decided to stay with 6550's. I love the sound and decided they were not going anywhere unless they meet their total demise.

Reactions: tdh888

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
You must have a superhero HVAC install for that room in order to manage the heat from all those tubes. I ended up parting ways with my Aesthetix IO and Callisto and ARC Classic 150 monos as I couldn't enjoy them for extended sessions outside of the Fall & Winter months. The waste heat in my 14'x20'x11' dedicated room couldn't be adequately managed by our HVAC.

When I first built the room it was on the same AC system as the main floor and our bedroom. I would need to make the house be penguin temperature.

When we built a new master bedroom addition to the house I was able to make it a 2 zone, 2 thermostat system that a damper system would direct 90 percent of the cool air to the music room. When I did the calculations I need just over 1Ton of cooling to offset the tubes heat to say nothing of the environmental and human effect. The system is a 2 Ton unit.

Others have asked what our electric bill is like. I designed and built the house. It is 4800 sq ft and our electric bill averages $160 per month here in Florida. We do have gas point of use water heaters cook top but the house is well insulated.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Wow great looking room. Clx were a bucket list speaker for me to audition last year. Almost impossible to find. I would even have gone the ML corporate office to hear them but they did not have any. Congrats.

If you make it to Tampa area Hugh, you are more than welcome to some seat time in my room.

Reactions: thomask and HughP3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing