Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, so I figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Ryan. I'm an analog freak and amateur audio engineer and musician. I love reel to reel tape and vinyl, and use them all the time. I wish I had a nice vinyl cutting lathe so I could cut my own vinyl discs. Please see my gear section to see my audio and music stuff. Anyway, this is just my introduction.
Thanks,
Ryan

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Welcome to the forum Ryan. If you love analogue music & enjoy the technical side of our hobby, you''ll find a good home here. Nice list of gear! Btw, your Bio sais you're 14yo?! See you 'round the forums :)

Reactions: tandbergfella

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I'm 14. I love analog recording in general.
Thanks,
Ryan
Great to see your enthusiasm for all aspects of music, incl: playing, recording and reproduction at such a young age Ryan. Goodness, at your age I was just concerned about getting my homework done and surviving nuclear war! And if I recall, my clock radio was my only source of music.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ryan, Ked will soon post. He's 114, btw.

Great to see your enthusiasm for all aspects of music, incl: playing, recording and reproduction at such a young age Ryan. Goodness, at your age I was just concerned about getting my homework done and surviving nuclear war! And if I recall, my clock radio was my only source of music.
That is interesting! What do you mean by nuclear war? Did you grow up during The Cold War?
Thanks,
Ryan

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
That is interesting! What do you mean by nuclear war? Did you grow up during The Cold War?
Thanks,
Ryan
Yes I am 48 yo & grew up in the Reagan era before the Berlin Wall fell. But that was also a great period for high end audio when companies like Infinity Systems and Nakamichi were at the height of their powers - though I only got into hifi when I was in my late teens. I will post a system thread about my audio journey when I get around to it.

Yes I am 48 yo & grew up in the Reagan era before the Berlin Wall fell. But that was also a great period for high end audio with companies like Infinity Systems and Nakamichi at the height of their powers. Though I only got into hifi when I was in my late teens. I will post a system thread about my audio journey when I get around to it.
Nice! Nakamichi made GREAT cassette decks back in the day. I'm more into reel to reel, but I like cassettes, also. A cassette is just a small reel to reel enclosed in a plastic case!
Thanks,
Ryan

Reactions: Bodhi
Yes I am 48 yo & grew up in the Reagan era before the Berlin Wall fell. But that was also a great period for high end audio when companies like Infinity Systems and Nakamichi were at the height of their powers - though I only got into hifi when I was in my late teens. I will post a system thread about my audio journey when I get around to it.
I’m homeschooled, by the way.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I'm 14. I love analog recording in general.
Thanks,
Ryan

If you're14 you are a minor and below the legal age limit of membership here

So I ask you are you 14 or are you a principal in twelvepitchrecordsandstudio

Unless I receive answer to my question I will assume you are under 14 and your account will be deleted

A look at your list of gear tells me you are far from 14 and you are putting a lie before the membership

Unless I receive answer to my question I will assume you are 154 and your account will be deleted

A look at your list of gear tells me you are far from 14 and you are putting a lie before the membership
My studio is for fun. Yes, I am the owner of the studio, but I don't use it for commercial use. Only for friends. A lie? Do you want photo evidence? I'm 14. My dad introduced me to the art of analog when I was 12. I'm in contact and friends with Steve Hoffman, Len Horowitz at History of Recorded Sound in Culver City, and many others. If you delete my account, you've lost one of the most recognized young members of the analog audio community. It's your ship though, and if I rock your boat, throw me off. It's your choice, my man. I read the rules of age, and many other forums let me on there because I'm such a benefit.
Thanks,
Ryan Downing.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Ryan,
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what Steve is referring to regarding the twelvepitch records and studio, but I hope he would not let your age be an issue even if you are 14. I love your gear and your guitars. Many of us coveted Tandberg decks when we were young, and it seems you have pretty darn good taste in guitars as well as audio gear. (If I'm not mistaken the EPOS ELS-3 was very favorably reviewed by the venerable Harry Pearson, who you may be too young to have known.) In any event, there's no language on this forum you haven't heard in common use elsewhere by age 14 so I'm hoping Steve will welcome you if you are the real deal. We always lament among ourselves that we need to get younger people involved in audiophilia earlier, so I'm looking forward to your participation. Perhaps you can teach us a thing or two! And in return, there's a ton of wisdom in this group for you to take advantage of in your journey. I wonder if you might send Steve a pic or 2 of yourself (use "start a private conversation") to make him more comfortable? He's just doing his job as we've had some trolls in the past that were really manufacturers .
Marty

Ryan,
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what Steve is referring to regarding the twelvepitch records and studio, but I hope he would not let your age be an issue even if you are 14. I love your gear and your guitars. Many of us coveted Tandberg decks when we were young, and it seems you have pretty darn good taste in guitars as well as audio gear. (If I'm not mistaken the EPOS ELS-3 was very favorably reviewed by the venerable Harry Pearson, who you may be too young to have known.) In any event, there's no language on this forum you haven't heard in common use elsewhere by age 14 so I'm hoping Steve will welcome you if you are the real deal. We always lament among ourselves that we need to get younger people involved in audiophilia earlier, so I'm looking forward to your participation. Perhaps you can teach us a thing or two! And in return, there's a ton of wisdom in this group for you to take advantage of in your journey. I wonder if you might send Steve a pic or 2 of yourself (use "start a private conversation") to make him more comfortable? He's just doing his job as we've had some trolls in the past that were really manufacturers .
Marty
Hello Mr. Marty!!! Read my post above. Let me posts some pics of myself with my gear. I told Mr. Steve above, I'm in contact and good friends with Steve Hoffman, Len Horowitz at History of Recorded Sound, and many others. I told him if he kicks me off, it will be a losing proposition, as I'm one of the most recognized young members of the audio community. Twelvepitch Records and Studio is my private for fun, non profit business used for recording friends. If I rock Steve's boat, I told him to throw me off. Four years age difference is not much, and I'm very knowledgeable, and I hope to lew a few things (if not a lot) from ya'll! End of story.
Thanks,
Ryan

Unless I receive answer to my question I will assume you are 154 and your account will be deleted

48374809_2163527790365164_3775049788148416512_n.jpg 49947302_1377840302394267_2617186842063142912_n.jpg 40101264_2015679275150017_4689013902409728000_n.jpg 41518516_279299582891164_5401573724417687552_n.jpg
45859513_311597262994729_2970368032947306496_n.jpg
Is this enough proof of my age, or shall you need more?
Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan,
Marty
Tandbergs are not common nowadays. They are mouthwatering decks with excellent sound quality and great transports. The Epos ELS-3 are Epos' attempt at making a small, reasonably priced speaker. They are phenomenally well built, and the sound is just lust inducing to any audiophile! Yes, I've heard of Mr. Pearson. Don't read many of his reviews, but I like his thoughts on things. I'm also a member of the AudioHolics forum, and good friends with Gene DellaSala and his group. So, @Steve Williams , don't throw the baby out with the bath water, okay?
Thanks,
Ryan

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My studio is for fun. Yes, I am the owner of the studio, but I don't use it for commercial use. Only for friends. A lie? Do you want photo evidence? I'm 14. My dad introduced me to the art of analog when I was 12. I'm in contact and friends with Steve Hoffman, Len Horowitz at History of Recorded Sound in Culver City, and many others. If you delete my account, you've lost one of the most recognized young members of the analog audio community. It's your ship though, and if I rock your boat, throw me off. It's your choice, my man. I read the rules of age, and many other forums let me on there because I'm such a benefit.
Thanks,
Ryan Downing.

I’m with Steve on this one, you have hourly rates on your website as high as $130/hour can we book a few studio hours for free for fun?
It’s your choice my man”? Certainly don’t sound 14 either ;)!

I don’t know who’s pictures they are but the tape deck is a TEAC and not a Tandberg!
david

I’m with Steve on this one, you have hourly rates on your website as high as $130/hour can we book a few studio hours for free for fun?
It’s your choice my man”? Certainly don’t sound 14 either ;)!
david
[/QUOTE 41518516_279299582891164_5401573724417687552_n.jpg 48374809_2163527790365164_3775049788148416512_n.jpg 49947302_1377840302394267_2617186842063142912_n.jpg
Does this prove to you anything? I'm in contact with Steve Hoffman and many other great mastering engineers. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing