My Latest Recordings of the Bridgeport Symphony now on YouTube!

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Sounds very nice, Mark...

are you getting an analog recording of this :confused: It appears to be a great-sounding venue for performers and audience, alike :D Any amplification used for the concert?

Congrats:cool:

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
There was no amplification used. The Klein Memorial Auditorium seats 1400 and has pretty good acoustics.
The recording is digital, 24-bit/96KHz master. Care was taken to do any level adjustments prior to downsampling.
The Blu-ray disc is incredible, for those fortunate enough to have seen the replay at my theater.

You can view about ten other clips from this concert, on the GBS' YouTube channel, if you check the latest uploads. The director uploaded all of December's clips last night.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
There was no amplification used. The Klein Memorial Auditorium seats 1400 and has pretty good acoustics.
The recording is digital, 24-bit/96KHz master. Care was taken to do any level adjustments prior to downsampling.

Mark,

If possible, would you describe the recording chain? Which mikes were employed and in what configuration? What digital recorder saw action?

Thanks!

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Mark,

If possible, would you describe the recording chain? Which mikes were employed and in what configuration? What digital recorder saw action?

Thanks!

The exact mic configuration is a trade secret. But you can catch a glimpse of it from time to time during the wide angle shots at the beginning or end of a couple of the pieces. There are a total of 7 mics, two in the balcony and five positioned above the 4th row center. The pattern, directionality and spacing are a trade secret. :) That array feeds 100' of Belden FlexSnake 6-channel cable, to a Mark of the Unicorn 896 backstage, which records to a Sony laptop running Vegas as the DAW application. I believe that during the December concert was the last use of our 'discreet' bundled mic cables.. the FlexSnake use began with the Rachmaninoff concert in March, which will hopefully appear on Youtube in the next month or two (it's still awaiting editing approval from the director). In April, we did our first opera, AIDA, which was a whole new thing to us. Soon to come!

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Acknowledged, Mark...I appreciate your position. ;)

It's a hard position to be in. Many decades building my reputation, and I don't earn more than the average Pakistani on an annual basis.

YouTube changed the links... okay, so here is the link to the whole enchelada of videos for the Bridgeport Symphony.. there are about ten new ones from the December concert up there now. As always, be sure to watch in 720HD, else the colors looked ragged with YT's compression:
http://www.youtube.com/bridgeportsymphony#p/u

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Mark,

Congratulations. Will the concert be available for purchase on Blu-ray?

Rich

I honestly don't know if these recordings will go anywhere beyond 'archival'. We're taking baby steps in that direction. It took four years to get the GBS to consider making archival recordings. It will take some time to get them to consider a commercial recording. It took four more years to get them to allow the recordings to be on YouTube. Maybe in another four they'll release a commercial recording.

I've been pursuing the New York Philharmonic and the Boston Symphony as well, but they haven't offered the courtesy of even a reply to my letters and demo discs. I'd really like to get into the money concerts, where I can make a decent coin. Presently, expenses exceed gross income each year by the tune of $20K or more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing