My MUSIC-and-movie system

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Been building this one for at least 60 years, and because I'm now 75, I think it'll be my last.

The room used to be a flat-ceilinged 21x14-foot living room, but in 1982 I turned it into a 21-foot-wide, 19-foot-deep music room with a ceiling rising from 6-1/2 feet at the front wall to about twelve feet over the listening position which is about four feet from the rear wall. It's difficult to describe, but it has not much surface area parallel to another. Its negative characteristic is its almost squareness, which creates a HUGE roomnode at 28 - 30HZ. Here are some OLD pics; PLEASE try not to laugh at some of my old stuff.

Looking at the back wall and left-rear corner.
2019-2005Feb03_Back of room w new surrounds v2_1200w.jpg

Left wall and corner.
2019-2007Apr22_From right wall looking left_1200w.jpg

Back wall and and non-90-degree rear corners.
2019-2007Jun26_AC grills_1200w.jpg

Right-hand wall and entrance. The speaker at far left is one of my DIY monsters, long gone. It didn't take me long to determine I knew approximately nothing about designing speakers.
2019-2008Jun23_East wall_12200w.jpg

The room now has two LARGE bass traps, at the top-rear and LH upper corner, and two three-by-five-foot-by-six-inch basstraps/dampers on the front wall behind the speakers.
2019Mar31_system front_1500w.jpg
Speakers are Serenity Acoustics Super-7s, hybrid dipoles; lots of details here... https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141060.0
(Please note that the beginning of that thread is now four years old.) The speakers sound EXCELLENT, especially when driven by my slightly improved Atma-Sphere M-60/3.3s.

More later.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Well done Jeffrey. You've certainly been on a long journey & created a unique listening room. That looks like a pretty serious HT setup. Conceptually I like hybrid linesource dipole speakers given sufficient room to do them justice.

A couple of questions...the servo subs in your Serenity Acoustics speakers appear to be similar to the Sound Insight servo subwoofers used by GT Audio Works? Also, which projector are you using? (apologies if that is mentioned in your Audiocircle thread). Cheers.

Last edited:

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Well done Jeffrey. You've certainly been on a long journey & created a unique listening room. That looks like a pretty serious HT setup. Conceptually I like hybrid linesource dipole speakers given sufficient room to do them justice.

A couple of questions...the servo subs in your Serenity Acoustics speakers appear to be similar to the Sound Insight servo subwoofers used by GT Audio Works? Also, which projector are you using? (apologies if that is mentioned in your Audiocircle thread). Cheers.

TYVM.

I know nothing about the SI amps.

Epson '5040 pseudo-4K...uses pixel-shift tech to achieve higher res than a 1920x1080 projector and produces EXCELLENT images from UHD discs played by an Oppo '203.

Last edited:

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Jeffrey, are you a 3D fan, an Aquaman fan?

No and no; I'm not much of a comic-book-movie fan.

Here's a list of my UHDs.
Accountant, The; Air Force One; Allied; American Assassin; Apollo 13; Arrival; Atomic Blonde; Bad Times at El Royale; Battleship; Blade Runner 2049; Bourne (1) Identity; Bourne (2) Supremacy, The; Bourne (3) Ultimatum, The; Bourne (4) Legacy, The; Bourne (5), Jason; Braveheart; Bridge On the River Kwai, The; Cliffhanger; Close Encounters of the Third Kind…40th Anniv.; Darkest Hour; DaVinci Code, The; Deepwater Horizon; Die Hard; E. T., The Extraterrestrial; Equalizer, The; Equalizer 2; ex machina; Expendables, The; Expendables 2, The; Few Good Men, A; First Man; Fury; Galveston; Gladiator (theatrical and extended); Green Book; Groundhog Day; Hacksaw Ridge; Hell or High Water; Hereditary; Hidden Figures; HostilesInception; Independence Day; Interstellar; Jack Reacher; Jack Reacher--Never Go Back; Jack Ryan 1--Hunt For Red October, The; Jack Ryan 2--Patriot Games; Jack Ryan 3--Clear and Present Danger, A; Jack Ryan 4--Sum of All Fears, The; Jack Ryan 5--Shadow Recruit; Knowing; Kong Skull Island; Last Witch Hunter, The; Leon the Professional; Lion King, The; Lone Survivor; Logan Lucky; Magnificent Seven, The; Martian, The; Mechanic ; Resurrection; Mountain Between Us, The; Oblivion; Passengers; Patriot, The; Phantom Thread; Philadelphia; Planet of the Apes (2011), Rise of; Planet of the Apes (2014), Dawn of; Planet of the Apes (2017), War for; Quick and the Dead, The; RED; RED 2; Red Sparrow; Risen; Robin Hood--theatrical and Director's cuts; Salt; San Andreas; Saving Private Ryan; Schindler's List; Secret Life of Pets, The; Serenity; Shape of Water, The; Sicario; Source Code; Sully; Terminator 2--Judgment Day; Terminator Genisys; Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri; Tomb Raider; Unforgiven; Widows; Wild; Wind River; Zero Dark Thirty

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm not an Aquaman fan either, except for the opening. In my book the film is a 4 (out of 10).
But I am a 3D fan for the best ones, like Gravity for example. ...And few others.

* Nice grouping. :cool: From your list of 4K Blu-ray titles (100) I could count 25% in my own list.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing