Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great article, Lee. By far the most informative review I have read of the WAMM's - although they are beyond my reach it is good to know about the best! Much appreciated, thanks!

Did you learn if Wilson people create the tables for different amplifiers by listening or using measurements?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for posting! Great read.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Great article, Lee. By far the most informative review I have read of the WAMM's - although they are beyond my reach it is good to know about the best! Much appreciated, thanks!

Did you learn if Wilson people create the tables for different amplifiers by listening or using measurements?

i believe it is a combination of both, but I will try to get some information on that for you.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River

i believe it is a combination of both, but I will try to get some information on that for you.

As one would expect, Dave developed a precise measurement process for this.

One thing that may not be clear in Lee's article is that there are baseline settings for the distances in the listening setup. That baseline position typically sounds better than when the WAMM's settings have been adjusted for one amp and you switch to different amp. That is, when switching to the Siegfrieds using D'Ag settings, you get the sound Lee described.

If one were to have used the baseline settings, the sound would have been better than the D'Ag settings on the Siegfried. But at the end, the difference when using the measured, precise settings for the Siegfried is a large improvement in the area Lee describes over even the baseline settings.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Thank you for explaining that Bill!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is a wonderful and interesting report, Lee! Thank you for posting the link here!

Your enthusiasm for the Chronosonic is infectious!

Did you learn any details about the new three driver subwoofers? Is each driver 15" in diameter?

Was there any explanation of why the new subwoofer is designed with three drivers, rather than the two drivers of Thor's Hammer?

Is this new subwoofer basically a Thor's Hammer but with another driver added?

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
This is a wonderful and interesting report, Lee! Thank you for posting the link here!

Your enthusiasm for the Chronosonic is infectious!

Did you learn any details about the new three driver subwoofers? Is each driver 15" in diameter?

Was there any explanation of why the new subwoofer is designed with three drivers, rather than the two drivers of Thor's Hammer?

Is this new subwoofer basically a Thor's Hammer but with another driver added?

The WAMM Master Subsonic was designed from the ground up to match the WAMM Master Chronosonic.

The driver's are 12", not 15". This gives similar surface area as 2 15" drivers but with more controlled acceleration and stop. The Master Subsonic is meant to augment the Master Chronosonic below 20Hz. The WAMM in the Music Room has the same output level at 23Hz as it does at 1000Hz.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The WAMM Master Subsonic was designed from the ground up to match the WAMM Master Chronosonic.

The driver's are 12", not 15". This gives similar surface area as 2 15" drivers but with more controlled acceleration and stop. The Master Subsonic is meant to augment the Master Chronosonic below 20Hz. The WAMM in the Music Room has the same output level at 23Hz as it does at 1000Hz.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply!

What amplifiers are you using to drive the Master Subsonics?

Are you at liberty to tell us the frequency response of the Master Subsonic? (I would guess something like 7Hz to 25Hz, -3dB?)

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Thank you very much for your detailed reply!

What amplifiers are you using to drive the Master Subsonics?

Are you at liberty to tell us the frequency response of the Master Subsonic? (I would guess something like 7Hz to 25Hz, -3dB?)

We are using Parasound Halos.

I looked in the manual and do not see a frequency response spec listed. I do know that when Dave played the WAMM for visitors, he used some content that was rich in 10Hz-20Hz content at high level.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

curious if the WAMM Chronosonic is rolled off in some specific way when matting it with the Master Chronosonic? in other words are the bottom octave settings different compared to when it's used by itself? or is it always the same regardless?

apologize if this has been discussed already.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
curious if the WAMM Chronosonic is rolled off in some specific way when matting it with the Master Chronosonic? in other words are the bottom octave settings different compared to when it's used by itself? or is it always the same regardless?

apologize if this has been discussed already.

I think the same regardless. The Watch Controller does not route anything to the main speakers, I believe.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yesterday it was my time to climb a new step in the discovery of the best of sound reproduction - I was invited to the official presentation of the WAMM in Europe, that took place at the large showroom of our local Wilson Audio distributor in Lisbon - Imacustica.

The WAMM with the Wilson Audio Master Subsonic Subwoofers were amplified with the D'Agostino Relentless Monoblock and D400 Momemtum's with their preamplfier, the source was DCS Vivaldi One.

Peter McGrath made a short presentation of the WAMM project and speaker characteristics, followed by a few CD tracks and his choice of files, including some of his recordings. As many others I can only report that what we listened was in most aspects superior and more realistic than any previous experience I had with sound reproduction - timbre, dynamics, easiness, micro resolution, all those aspects that people have previously said much better before me.

a1.jpg

During a break Peter McGrath kindly allowed me play my Savall SACD of "Les routes de l'esclavage" - he admires the work of Savall and knew the recording fairly well - and I really enjoyed the energy and complexity of this great recording played in the WAMMs. At the end of the afternoon I managed to listen to another of my recordings ("Venezia Millenaria", final track) and a few jazz tracks in the company of the editor of the Audio Magazine.

We learned that all WAMM customers except one got the subs and this isolated case was just because of space ... After a long day we ended the evening having diner with Peter McGrath - an extremely kind and knowledgeable person, it was a great opportunity for me to discuss several of the subjects we often debate here in WBF with someone with such large experience.

We can see part of his presentation at the Imacustica listening room in this video by JVH

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So . . . how did it sound?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: Ron Resnick

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Francisco,
Can you tell us how the subs were set-up? Are the WAMMs run full range and the the subs run in parallel with a second amp crossing in below X Hz using their crossover? If so, how do they allow for time alignment using a set-up such as that?

Also, did they go all D'Agostino or do they still use the VTL 7.5III preamp?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing