My New True Soundworks Apogee Diva Extremes

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
I am finding it almost impossible to contain my enthusiasm for the most recent incarnation of Rich Murry's new True Soundworks Apogee Diva Extremes. This speaker update has been in development for a couple of years now. Using my TSW Ultimate Diva cores, this update required a frame off full restoration. Using all newly developed pure foil drivers (like the full range) with no backing and a totally new crossover, Rich has created a new masterpiece. I am lucky enough to have one of only a few pairs built to this level at this time.

To add some credibility to my story, a few speakers I own or have owned previously: True Soundworks Apogee Diva Ultimates, Dunlavy SC-5 and SC-4, Soundlab U1-PX and A1s
Although I have not owned these speakers, I have spent a bit of time with Genesis 200s & 500s.

In my listening room, the new Divas are a dream come true. My forever speakers. I promise I am not losing my mind here. There are a lot of great speakers out there, but I can safely say that these new Divas are the finest speakers I have ever owned.

What's significant:
They are now surprisingly efficient. My Pass Labs Amps rarely travel out of class A operation even at relatively high volume.
They are utterly transparent
Coherency from top to bottom is as good as I have ever experienced.
They throw an incredibly wide and deep 3D soundstage. Beyond my back and side walls
Imaging within is layered and very clearly defined. Holographic
They sound amazing at low to moderate listening levels. This aspect is truly amazing
Tonality is beautiful.
Bass is articulate and very deep but never overbearing (well I guess it is a bit much on a few titles. The quality of your source material is revealed in all it's glory, good or bad). When called upon they will now shake the walls.

I will end my blabbering here. If you own Divas or have them on your wish list you owe it to yourself to check out the new Extreme version of the Diva.

Pics just added. This was during the initial set up. The Aerial SW 12 Subs in the pics are not in the system any longer. The new Divas have better bass than the subs.

Happy Listening

Attachments

• 20191129_111342.jpg
    20191129_111342.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 20191129_111520.jpg
    20191129_111520.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Pictures please ;)

Reactions: Bodhi

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
And how they compare sonically to your Diva Ultimates?
What is the difference between the Ultimates and the Extremes?

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
Impedance AND sensitivity would be very nice to know

I talked to Rich. He said they are nominally 4 ohms. This is not scientific but they seem to be in the same ball park as my Dunlavy SC-4s which are 91db. The increased sensitivity was the very first thing I noticed. It is a remarkable change.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
Most obvious improvements:
Sensitivity
Bass Power
Effortless
Performance at low to medium listening levels.
Transparency
Cohesiveness
Pretty much every aspect of playback is improved. Items I covered in my original post are all areas the I feel are improved enough over my Ultimates to list. I promise this is no BS. Of course your MMV. These are my perceptions in my system and in my room. My observations do though match up with Rich's design goals for the Extremes.

Last edited:
Reactions: ack and christoph

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
+ 1. Sounds like Rich has nailed it :cool:. Any word on the msrp? I'd be interested to know how they compare with the projected price of Graz's re-worked Diva's.

A turn key deal from Rich at TSW where he supplies the cores I believe they are just under 30K. Basically totally remanufactured from bottom up. Also completely new crossover. He can also rebuild your original Divas to Extremes for quite a bit less depending on the condition. He is very easy to work with and I would suggest calling him directly to discuss.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and Bodhi

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011

Hey Chris, here is a little bit on the physical difference btw the TSW Ultimates and the Extremes - I have articulated the sonic improvements a bit in the other posts. The mechanical differences are that the Extremes have redesigned all new foil only ribbons a la the Full Range. They no longer have the Kapton/Mylar? backing. Rich also told me he has incorporated a significantly improved foil driver mounting / damping process. I don't know the details. Also the crossovers are fully new designs.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
What's significant:
They are now surprisingly efficient. My Pass Labs Amps rarely travel out of class A operation even at relatively high volume.

Out of curiosity, how do you know if your Pass amps are running in Class A or not? Mine do not have any indicator to show what mode they are in.

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
Out of curiosity, how do you know if your Pass amps are running in Class A or not? Mine do not have any indicator to show what mode they are in.

Meter needle deflection. As long as they are stationary the amp is running Class A. That's my understanding anyway.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
These TSW Diva Extremes look amazing!

Congratulations to you and to Rich!

Could you please post some photos of your listening room overall so we can see the positioning of the speakers in your room?

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
These TSW Diva Extremes look amazing!

Congratulations to you and to Rich!

Could you please post some photos of your listening room overall so we can see the positioning of the speakers in your room?

Hi Ron
I tried but the widest angle on my phone can't fully capture it. My room is 20 feet long, 17 feet wide and 8.5 feet tall. The outermost bottom corner of each speaker is 12" from the side walls and 1/3 way into the room from the back wall. My room serves dual purpose as a listening room and also the theater. Screen is 13' wide 2.35 aspect ratio.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing