My Recent trip to Los Angeles

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
PART ONE:

I recently returned from taking my daughter to Los Angeles to visit a college. I stayed a couple of extra days to spend some time with Ron Resnick, KeithR, and Jeffrey_t. I had met Ron and Jeff before when each of them visited me in Boston. I met Keith for the first time. The four of us have been exchanging emails about audio generally, and analog specifically, for some time now. I am glad to have gotten to know them a little bit better.

The two days started with meeting Ron for a nice breakfast in Beverly Hills and then a tour of his house up in the hills. His thread describing his listening room in no way hints at how extensive this house renovation project really is. I think every surface, both interior and exterior, is being redone, including the kitchen, some bathrooms, and the listening room. Aside from the initial retaining wall rebuild there are not many structural changes, but all walls, floors and ceilings seem to be completely resurfaced.

The listening room, off of the kitchen, is as it appears from the photographs in Ron's thread. (see link: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...able-power-and-room-treatment-upgrades.17901/) It is a nice, large, and dedicated room. The back wall is 90% glass. There are two large openings to either side at the back of the room, one to the kitchen, and one to his equipment room and home theater/office area. The back of the room with these openings and glass may cause some acoustic issues, so Ron is planning to incorporate an acoustic fabric curtain covering the rear wall and back third of each side.

I practiced architecture years ago and touring this house during the construction phase and discussing the design was a real treat for me. Thanks Ron. Your house will be spectacular when it is completed, and I think you will have a very nice listening room. I promise to revisit you to hear your system all set up and playing music again one day.

After the tour, Ron drove me to meet Keith and hear his system. I brought some LPs and looked forward to meeting the guy who started a most interesting thread on WBF about his ongoing search for a new pair of speakers. (See link: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/keithrs-dream-speaker-search.27069/) Keith has a great view of the ocean from his balcony. We met late in the morning and strolled to a nearby restaurant for lunch. When we returned, Keith played some LPs, first his and then mine. After I got a general sense of the sound of his system, we switched to digital. Ron has spoken very highly of Keith’s MSB DAC and how it lacked any sense of “digititis”. He is completely right. There was no brightness, hardness or thinness to the sound at all. Keith’s system was extremely engaging yet relaxing. I rarely thought about the sound of the system and instead just basked in the music which filled the room with an effortless, natural sound.

Keith’s system has a beautiful sense of flow and enveloping sound. There was a similar character from the DD Brinkmann Bardo and the MSB digital. Each had good resolution and a neutral tonal balance. The system had good dynamics and wonderful presence. The speakers disappeared in the room. The only problem I heard is a frequency suck out in the upper bass, so the low frequencies are not continuous. This gap accentuates the lowest bass and it sounded slightly boomy. Keith seems to think it may be both room and speaker related. Each speaker has two side firing woofers on opposite sides. The left front half of the room is open while the right front half is a glass wall. I suspect this asymmetry has much to do with this uneven bass. There was definitely more energy coming from the right corner of the room.

Keith is planning to move and the new home will have a better listening room. Keith is also listening to a lot of different speakers as one can read in his speaker search thread. I really enjoyed the afternoon with Keith, discussing music, listening to his wonderful system, and enjoying digital. It is the kind of system that makes one feel comfortable and relaxed. There is no fatigue and enough resolution to clearly hear differences between recordings. I could have sat there much longer, watching the sailboats go by, the setting sun, and sharing time with such a knowledgeable and passionate music lover. It was a delightful visit.

Later that evening, Ron invited me out to dinner and to meet his wife Tinka. Ron tells me that Tinka has joined him on many of his audio trips and has met quite a few aging audiophiles and manufacturers, but I assumed she did not want to spend the evening discussing her husband’s audio passion. Fortunately for her, the primary reason for my visit was not audio but rather to show my seventeen year old daughter the leading fashion school in LA called FIDM, the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandizing. Tinka is a recent graduate of FIDM so we had much to discuss and became quick friends. She is very charming, intelligent, and a delight to be around. We had a wonderful and memorable evening.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
PART TWO:

The next day I walked over to Ron’s apartment and we drove to meet Jeff. After we arrived, Jeff gave us a tour of his house and described a planned renovation. He will be building a dedicated listening room in a new wing off the back of his house. His current listening room is in his converted garage. This room looks nothing like a garage. The floor, walls, and ceiling could be just another room in his house. Only the garage door’s overhead tracks and the door itself hidden behind a curtain give any indication of its former use. (See link: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/jeffs-stereo-den.20997/)

Like I was about Keith’s new MSB DAC, I was really curious to hear Jeff’s speakers and incredible Acoustic Signature Ascona turntable with SME 3012R arm. (see link: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-new-turntable.20892/). Jeff has described his speakers elsewhere, but they are massive, very efficient, and easily driven by his Lamm electronics. This is a vinyl-only system like mine, but the similarities end there. The speakers have a compression driver with a wave guide and two massive 15” JBL woofers. The electronics are tube. The turntable is a work of art. If my Magico Q3 speakers are a groom at a wedding, Jeff’s Ascona is his beautiful bride. I have never seen such a lovely turntable. It is massive, yet not overpowering. It is elegant and built to an incredibly high standard. I even asked Jeff to move a wooden box which holds some of his accessories from one of the turntable’s shelves because its presence distracted from the sheer elegance of the design.

We started out listening to Jeff’s AirTight PC-7 cartridge. The sound was very good, with a bit of focus on the midrange, but otherwise quite engaging. I got used to the system sound with some of his LPs and then some of my more familiar music. After a while Jeff installed his Ortofon A95 SPU. He described this to Ron and me as his best (favorite) cartridge. We listened again to my LP of Ray Brown and Almeida Moonlight Serenade. This is an excellent direct to disk LP with very heavy bowed bass. With the SPU, the sound had more body, more extension, and more resolution. The image also became slightly smaller and more realistic, but the sound became bigger and more room-filling. The sound was overall considerably more natural. Now we were getting somewhere and I understood why Jeff likes this cartridge so much. We listened some more and then broke for some lunch. When we returned, we listened to some more music and I suggested we play my Sheffield Drum track LP. I know this record well as I play it on my system quite often after I have made changes. This recording is brutal at revealing flaws. I blew my mid/woofer on my Mini 2 playing this LP too loudly. It sounds excellent on my new Q3s, but I did not expect the explosive sound from Jeff’s system. Those massive dual 15” drivers from his efficient system put Jim Keltner’s drum kit in the room with us. It was nicely scaled and the sound was huge. We played it pretty loudly and yet it was ultra clean with no strain or distortion. It was the best I’ve ever heard this recording.

We continued to play some of my choral music, a lot of jazz, and we even did a Led Zeppelin 2 tape versus vinyl comparison. I actually slightly preferred the vinyl, but I have no idea if that is because of the quality of the source gear or the recording. The one criticism I have is that on some music, the image lacked a bit of grounding or solidity. Voices seemed to float at times and were not locked in space and stable. Occasionally, some sounds seemed to come right out of the drivers while other times the speakers completely disappeared. I can’t really explain this, but I think it might have something to do with the speaker/room interaction and positioning of Jeff's diffusion panels. There was not much acoustic treatment. Perhaps the dispersion pattern of that single tweeter/midrange compression driver with wave guide hits the panels inconsistently and that bounces reflections around in an irregular way, but that is just a guess. Jeff plans to hire an acoustic consultant for the design of his new room, and I suspect this one small criticism will be addressed. Jeff’s system is extremely dynamic and open sounding with great energy. It is entirely effortless and natural. I was very impressed.

I would like to thank my good friend Ron for introducing me to the downtown LA scene and for driving me to see his audio buddies, Keith and Jeff. It is so enjoyable to spend time with like-minded people and share their passions. Keith and Jeff seem to be music lovers first and audiophiles second. They were both extremely gracious hosts and welcomed me into their homes. Both systems were very enjoyable and completely non-fatiguing. They are about their owners’ music collections and playing music. They are not about the gear, well, perhaps Jeff’s turntable is an exception. That thing is a beautiful beast and a work of art - simply stunning.

As I readjust to my old house in Boston and 40 degree weather, sunny Southern California seems a bit unreal to me. A fashion show in an airplane hanger, the shops on Rodeo Drive, the carnival and beach atmosphere of the Santa Monica pier, the romance of the Griffith Observatory overlooking LaLa Land, the views above Beverly Hills, the fast cars and young vibe on the streets. The first two days in Los Angeles were all about the fashion scene and sight seeing with my daughter. The next two days were about friendship and music. I am a bit envious of these audiophiles from California. They have quite a life in a land with perfect weather. These three guys are either building a new listening room or moving to a new place specifically to get better sound. They live in a place of dreams and I am so grateful that they shared it with me.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Peter, thank you for this beautifully-written chronology of your visit to LA. It was my pleasure to take you around and to meet Keith and to visit Jeff!

Tinka enjoyed meeting you too — and she appreciated not discussing any audio at dinner!

I hope to visit you again in Marblehead someday!

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M. and Folsom

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@PeterA . The Almeida album is the dog howling one? Which songs do you normally use.

kind regards,
Tang

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you Steve and Ron. It was a great visit. Steve, I'm planning to visit you in early May when I am in San Diego. I'll PM you to discuss the details. I am looking very forward to that.

Tang, The name of the album is Moonlight Serenade. It has the howling dog on the cover. I enjoy the reissue, but he original direct to disk is the one worth owning. I love the whole record but for quick diagnostics, I usually listen to the first song on side one. It has solo guitar and that large double bass which Ray Brown bows. There is one section in the first cut where the low frequency extension is outrageous, and that often overpowers the room. It can also tell you if your amps aren't up to the challenge of driving the speakers. In Keith's system it sounded extremely good except for that slight gap in the LF because of the room null. In Jeff's system it sounded exceptionally clean, extended, and articulate. In both systems, the outrageous energy from the instruments left the system and filled the room.

The Ortofon A95 SPU was an improvement over his lower AirTight model, but the sound was extremely natural. It had great presence, tone, and dynamics. There was very good string texture. The contrast between the quick guitar plucking and the long, slow, deliberate bass bowing was rendered very realistically, IMO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing