My Signal-Responsive Dynamic Bias for Vacuum Tube Amplifiers

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Recently, I was tasked with the complete re-design of a disaster of a DiY tube amp that a customer had brought me. It was built from organ parts. As such, the audio transformers were unsuitable for high fidelity service, the amp was cathode biased and the phase inverter was not balanced properly. As arrived, this stereo amp with four KT-88 output tubes driven by 6SN7s was putting out about 10 watts with 7% THD and 19 watts with 20% THD.

I've kept it as simple as possible with the limited number of existing tubes in the chassis, but I've filed the many ideas presented here for future design efforts.

This amplifier, with conventional bias of a fixed value, would draw 255 watts off the mains at idle.

Due to limitations of the power transformer current delivery, I found that I could take advantage of short term dynamic power if I reduce the bias idle current to around 20mA.

With this modification involving signal responsive bias, the idle power consumption is 125 watts. At full output, the line consumption is 380 watts and the B+ potential sits about 98 volts higher than with conventional bias.

I'm taking the plate outputs through a high resistance network, blocking the DC and rectifying the result. The bias supply is -117 volts, regulated via a string of four 30V zeners. A resistive divider samples the bias supply and the signal rectifiers. At no signal, the bias on the KT88 grids sits about -85V. As signal increases, the bias is bucked by the output of the signal rectifiers sampling the plates and this voltage is summed with the bias supply. As signal increases toward full output, the bias voltage is bucked by the positive envelope voltage from the signal rectifiers, resulting in a maximum signal bias voltage around -35V. Using a 100V zener in series with a 100K resistor, tied to the -117V supply, I can limit the positive bucking voltage so that the bias never goes lower than -35V with maximum signal.

The only tricky aspect of this was getting the output tubes out of cutoff before significant signal appears. This limits me from having the outputs biased at -115V (which gets the line consumption down below 90 watts at idle). But I'm happy with 125W idle power consumption. The tubes run so cool that I can briefly touch the envelopes without pain. I expect tube life to be greatly extended via this signal responsive bias system.

The nice thing about this configuration is that the tubes run very cool. You can touch the bottles of the KT-88s briefly without getting a burn. The run no hotter than the driver tubes. It won't heat the room up, so it's a good choice for summer and warm climate use. And tube life should be greatly extended.

As for the sound, it feels comparable to a 240 watt solid state stereo amp, in terms of bass impact. Distortion is very low across the power range, thanks to a servo balanced phase inverter, which employs a transistor in the cathode circuit to sample the output of the two halves and amplify errors, using that current change to adjust the cathode current, keeping the inverter outputs within 1% of eachother at all times.

The customer's friend does custom cabinet work, and this is what the finished product looks like:

1612116092146.png

I'm thinking this is a good product for the Japanese market and I could build similar amps and sell them in Japan.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
The only tricky aspect of this was getting the output tubes out of cutoff before significant signal appears.

Hi Mark,

This is a common issue with many such servo systems. I fought it back in 1995, when I designed our Auto Bias circuit. If you switch the signal ON and OFF and plot your bias current on a strip chart recorder, you will see the serious undershoots. I was finally able to find the trick, that made that square wave perfect. In my case it had to do with the error amplifier parameters. I would not release the circuit until you have that under control, as bias starvation can be very noticeable.

In our case the Auto Bias circuit produced the sound, that was superior to the fixed bias scheme, and it proved to be extremely reliable over its 25 year history.

Best of luck to you!

Victor Khomenko
Balanced Audio Technology

Last edited:
Reactions: MPS and Vienna

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I solved the problem, but it took most of the engineering time. I was measuring distortion levels and dealing with a bump in THD around 0.6W to 1.0W levels. Best solution was to not be too greedy with negative bias, and to employ some limiting on the positive bucking signal. While it would be nice to have -117V on the grids and get line draw below 70W, it's a bridge too far.
What we settled for was to keep THD below 0.2% at all power levels.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
'Lively' suggests either you're doing some expansion, or higher ordered harmonics are showing up on transients.

It might have been a good idea to measure the distortion of the amplifier after making sure it was working properly prior to doing any modifications. Clearly an amplifier with four 6550s making the distortion it did at those power levels isn't a working amplifier.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
The original amplifier design had to be completely scrapped. Distortion measurements were revealing over 10% THD at 9 watts out and 18% as it approached clipping at 19 watts. The phase inverter wasn't balanced well and most of the power was being dissipated in the 500 ohm cathode resistors.

After gutting and rebuilding it, for the tuning of the dynamic bias, it took a while because I was plotting distortion across the range from uW levels to full power. It was the .5 to 2W range where THD approached .5% that required some careful tuning of the transition points, requiring more feed forward voltage at that power level and then backing off on the increase beyond that point, but I finally got it to track nicely.

At any rate, the customer is very happy with the amplifier and gushes about it regularly.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
It would have been interesting to see how the amp measured up with fixed bias. Its obvious whoever built it prior to you seeing it didn't know what they were doing. Its also obvious that you vastly improved it, but it would have been helpful to know how the amp actually worked had its bugs been worked out first. Topology plays a huge role in distortion; have you built amps with the same topology as you used in this amp, but with manual fixed bias? If so, how did it compare?

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I started with the basics first, but found the amplifier's capabilities limited by the power transformer's capabilities. I was getting about 38 wpc, both channels driven, at clipping, continuous. B+ idled just below 500V. And it drew 255w off the mains doing nothing.
That's when I starting thinking "what can I do to get more out of this" knowing that I can take advantage of crest factor of music. Hence, Signal Responsive Dynamic Bias was born. I nearly doubled the short term power output to almost 80 wpc, both channels driven, for 40mS pulsed sine wave. The amplifier sounds as beefy as a Marantz 240 that I had in the studio to compare against (125 wpc).
Since the 1960s, I've been building tube amps, some of which were based upon Williamson, but then in my earlier years, too poor to afford transformers, I built an OTL with three 6AS7G tubes that ran off the ac mains directly. It made about 15 watts and went from DC to daylight. It sounded magnificent into my Aristocrat KD6 enclosure, equipped with a 12" Utah speaker.
But over the years, I thought it would be nice to run the tubes cooler. With this project, I finally got to play with that desire and make it happen. Funny it only took me 60 years to finally do something about it!

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
An amp set up with 6550s or KT88s with that kind of plate voltage should be able to make 60 watts/channel on a continuous basis. It sounds like the power supply was/is up to the task, but I don't see yet how the dynamic bias is actually helping.

But I suspect it would be easy to 'fix' the bias at one spot so the output tubes were biased in a normal manner (in effect, temporarily disabling the dynamic feature) so you could take measurements of how the amp performs 'with' and 'without'. It sounds like your output transformers are decent; the thing I can't get my head around is how the dynamic bias can work without adding distortion (quadratic non-linearity, which causes 2nd ordered harmonic) or causing compression. I've had a similar idea of running our OTLs this way but not found a way around that problem.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Recently, I was tasked with the complete re-design of a disaster of a DiY tube amp that a customer had brought me. It was built from organ parts. As such, the audio transformers were unsuitable for high fidelity service, the amp was cathode biased and the phase inverter was not balanced properly. As arrived, this stereo amp with four KT-88 output tubes driven by 6SN7s was putting out about 10 watts with 7% THD and 19 watts with 20% THD.

I've kept it as simple as possible with the limited number of existing tubes in the chassis, but I've filed the many ideas presented here for future design efforts.

This amplifier, with conventional bias of a fixed value, would draw 255 watts off the mains at idle.

Due to limitations of the power transformer current delivery, I found that I could take advantage of short term dynamic power if I reduce the bias idle current to around 20mA.

With this modification involving signal responsive bias, the idle power consumption is 125 watts. At full output, the line consumption is 380 watts and the B+ potential sits about 98 volts higher than with conventional bias.

I'm taking the plate outputs through a high resistance network, blocking the DC and rectifying the result. The bias supply is -117 volts, regulated via a string of four 30V zeners. A resistive divider samples the bias supply and the signal rectifiers. At no signal, the bias on the KT88 grids sits about -85V. As signal increases, the bias is bucked by the output of the signal rectifiers sampling the plates and this voltage is summed with the bias supply. As signal increases toward full output, the bias voltage is bucked by the positive envelope voltage from the signal rectifiers, resulting in a maximum signal bias voltage around -35V. Using a 100V zener in series with a 100K resistor, tied to the -117V supply, I can limit the positive bucking voltage so that the bias never goes lower than -35V with maximum signal.

The only tricky aspect of this was getting the output tubes out of cutoff before significant signal appears. This limits me from having the outputs biased at -115V (which gets the line consumption down below 90 watts at idle). But I'm happy with 125W idle power consumption. The tubes run so cool that I can briefly touch the envelopes without pain. I expect tube life to be greatly extended via this signal responsive bias system.

The nice thing about this configuration is that the tubes run very cool. You can touch the bottles of the KT-88s briefly without getting a burn. The run no hotter than the driver tubes. It won't heat the room up, so it's a good choice for summer and warm climate use. And tube life should be greatly extended.

As for the sound, it feels comparable to a 240 watt solid state stereo amp, in terms of bass impact. Distortion is very low across the power range, thanks to a servo balanced phase inverter, which employs a transistor in the cathode circuit to sample the output of the two halves and amplify errors, using that current change to adjust the cathode current, keeping the inverter outputs within 1% of eachother at all times.

The customer's friend does custom cabinet work, and this is what the finished product looks like:

View attachment 74383

I'm thinking this is a good product for the Japanese market and I could build similar amps and sell them in Japan.
Looks great Like a tube amplifier should look like.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing