My TD AF3P also arrived.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
so, after TD made me wait for almost 6 month for my AF3P after i sold my AF3 late June, i was analog-less for several months.
The T34 arrived last month and finally after him the long waited AF3P, was filling my second top shelf stand.

i knew when TD announced the AF3P that is will be next inline after i fell in love for the "regular" III...
the heavy platter a' la seiki and the black and bronze finish was a done deal for me.

it was a couple of days now, and i aligned two arms and cart's by now,
my trusty Thales simplicity II and my beloved Ortofon Anna - connected to the CH P1 phono (along with the 1.2 ohm Sumile the connecting to the Ikeda on top the T34) and on the back side the one i would suggest every single analog lover - Dynavector 507mk2 with koetsu rosewood (until my "blue lace" arrive)
i would describe how it sounds in my room but i think Shakti and the other members was described it perfectly in the other AF3P thread.

so, here some pictures for the weekend;

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
sweet!!

Reactions: byrdparis

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Nice setup, congrats!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
It would be good once you have got used to the premium table, to give a quick comparison to the original and what the main differences and similarities are.

cheers

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
It would be good once you have got used to the premium table, to give a quick comparison to the original and what the main differences and similarities are.

cheers
Hi, i think the most notable difference between the Original and the premium is in the Bass and mid department.
the bass is Much more deep and punchy also well define. the premium also feel more substantial and firm sounding from the previous 3.
the heavier platter, the better baring and the new power supply and air system putting it very high among the best there is i must say.
after heaving some others over the last years, (Brinkmann balance, CA master innovation the original AF3 etc) and listen to a LOT more.
im pretty glad i made the jump, and can only imagine how the AF1P will play instead... (a bit beyond my pay grade i'm afraid, maybe someday).

Reactions: XV-1 and shakti

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
very nice set up, I like the combination of such different tonearms!

When Gian has done the set up, we (the AF3P users) can discuss the sonic difference of the belt tension.
The manual is saying, that the lowest tension is the best, but than it takes the longest time to reach the speed "lock" status, currently I am not optimizing this area and I am happy, what I hear so far.

I will receive soon (in the meaning of TechDas "soon") an arm base for my Ikeda 407.
Currently I am using the original gunmetal Base from Micro Seiki.
Will be interesting for me, to compare the alloy TechDas Tone Arm base with the old gun metal base.

In the time of Micro Seiki, Nishikawa provided alloy bases for the lighter turntables and gun metal bases for the more heavier turntables , which were mostly the ones with a gun metal platter too.

Last edited:

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
very nice set up, I like the combination of such different tonearms!

When Gian has done the set up, we (the AF3P users) can discuss the sonic difference of the belt tension.
The manual is saying, that the lowest tension is the best, but than it takes the longest time to reach the speed "lock" status, currently I am not optimizing this area and I am happy, what I hear so far.

I will receive soon (in the meaning of TechDas "soon") a arm base for my Ikeda 407.
Will be interesting for me, to compare the alloy TechDas Tone Arm base with the old gun metal base.

In the time of Micro Seiki, Nishikawa provided alloy bases for the lighter turntables and gun metal bases for the more heavier turntables , which were mostly the ones with a gun metal platter too.

In a matter of fact i was in a bit of a struggle to set up "Tension" this time V.S the numeral times i did it on mine and others AF3 original users locally.
those previous times was so easy and almost every time (when it was in the area) would lead to 45RPM (on the Tension programming) and fiddle with less tension was easy to get the most perfect and black background sound from it.
in the premium the case was much difficult for me to get even to the 45 note at factory suggestions. not to mentioned to get it less tense.
so, when i was maintain the 45RPM spot, i leave it and keep on going. i don't know what they did differently but its less friendly in the P model (also set the belt at the middle slot on the platter.... ). i guess its an outcome of the more heavy platter and materials...

About the TD 407 arm base, i could land you mine , i have an extra... (my 407 currently mounted on my T34) and when you will get your new one, just send it back.... IF you want... (i don't know you personally, but i guess it will be ok... )

Reactions: shakti

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Wonderful audio system you have now BirdParis, truly wonderful. I think you will have a good xmas.. :)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
About the TD 407 arm base, i could land you mine , i have an extra... (my 407 currently mounted on my T34) and when you will get your new one, just send it back.... IF you want... (i don't know you personally, but i guess it will be ok... )

Thank you for your kind offer !!!
My Ikeda 407 Tone Arm Base is already shipped from Japan,
promised for arrival on 28'of December, so hopefully soon.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
... can only imagine how the AF1P will play instead... (a bit beyond my pay grade i'm afraid, maybe someday).

Donn't bother making an expensive jump to the AF1P. Read Bonzo's Zero Distortion on the Atlantis. He has heard both the American Sound and the Vyger. According to him they have some comparable sonic strengths. Imo, the AS is just a better tt than the AF1P. Try the Atlantis instead. It is a lot more interesting with the price of a smart buy.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: bonzo75

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Dear Tang, thanks for the suggestion... but i am very much sold for the TD AF line, technology and performance.
although...
i do believe there are more wonderful TT out there... and if i could manage the funds in the future for an AF1P i will definitely consider some top end alternative... maybe till then you will want to sell your AS2000 ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The pump/powersupply unit of AF3 Premium :

446_techDAS_airforce3_premium-3 b.jpg

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Fi News of june 2019,
only for info

Attachments

• IMG_6867.jpg
    IMG_6867.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6868.jpg
    IMG_6868.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 47

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
thank you for sharing!!!!

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I will receive soon (in the meaning of TechDas "soon") an arm base for my Ikeda 407.

Do you have any comments on the alloy versus gunmetal arm bases?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Do you have any comments on the alloy versus gunmetal arm bases?

It depends on the Tonearm. With Ikeda 407 with! heavy Ikeda B-60 VTA lifter I prefer the TechDAS alloy base.

Gunmetal sound to lean and too analytic in this combination.

For my Ikeda 345 standard (no B-60) I prefer gunmetal, more dynamics.

Seems, that the sound depends not only on the material, but also on the weight.

Ikeda / FR tonearms like a more heavy , but not too heavy base.

Reactions: bonzo75 and 108CY

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Thanks for the info. The price of the TechDAS arm bases in the US is ridiculous. What model MS arm base are you using?

It depends on the Tonearm. With Ikeda 407 with! heavy Ikeda B-60 VTA lifter I prefer the TechDAS alloy base.

Gunmetal sound to lean and too analytic in this combination.

For my Ikeda 345 standard (no B-60) I prefer gunmetal, more dynamics.

Seems, that the sound depends not only on the material, but also on the weight.

Ikeda / FR tonearms like a more heavy , but not too heavy base.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing