Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Be careful. The mods banned me before for posting about quality issues with a product I owned.
Really. Could you be more specific. While. I consider myself Steves friend, I have also been temppraritly bannned. Obviously I disagreed. I find them to be generally impartial.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Always check advertising banner before criticizing ;)
Is that so?
I do not believe that to be the case. I do not recall seeing a VPI banner. If you are awate of an admin retaliation I would like to know. This is one member who would come to your defense.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 4, 2014
Denmark
Is that so?
I do not believe that to be the case. I do not recall seeing a VPI banner. If you are awate of an admin retaliation I would like to know. This is one member who would come to your defense.
No hard brand criticism from me, just
attempts of humor ;)
If my Io Eclipse is not returned
from Aesthetix soon I will start putting pictures on milk cartons, 6 months of waiting is enough.

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Oct 14, 2018
Athens Greece
Thanks for writing all this. Incidentally I had criticized the plastic arms here years ago - before the fatboy - and was corrected that I had never heard these arms. True... and why would I want to
The main issue with the pre-Fatboy era was the the VTA tower and its base, which proved to have considerable free play and were resonating through vibrations, but this can be minimized with the addition of some semi- ring collars under VTA pillar and a support screw under the Tonearm pivot.
of course the known issue of the VPI unipivot remained. The introduction of the dual pivot had only solved partly some of them but had introduced others.
the new generation Fatboy tonearms, has added some more variables associated with the wand itself and the way these wands are secured in the gimbal/unipivot pivot assembly.

i believe that this is a good chance for Mat (VPI), to address these issues to his designing team and try to solve them.

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Oct 14, 2018
Athens Greece
The above described situation with the VPI Avenger Reference, at some point had made me feel disgusted and sick with vinyl in such an extent that nearly made me many times to throw the turntable away.

Thankfully I was lucky to find a pair of Roadrunner and Eagle as well as to get rid of both of the VPI Tonearms and replace them with a Kuzma 4P. I will never forget the moment that they were installed into my system and the moment that I had listened the first vinyl with them. I will never forget the moment that I had the VPI ADS removed from the system too, with it’s buzzing transformer and the completely inaccurate knobs.

The Roadrunner and Eagle is not just a well designed power supply. This set is way more things than this.

Having spent many hours now with Eagle and Roadrunner, I am confident to say that they offer many more things than just accurate speed.

By watching the speed variation on the Roadrunner and the frequency of corrections applied by the Eagle (blinking dot) the user can adjust the belt’s tension, at my case the proximity/tension of the rim drive into the platter until the moment that the speed becomes very very stable (+- 0.002 rpm) with very slow variations. At that moment the applied speed correction will be made once every two/three minutes. When this point is achieved the measured wow is dramatically reduced. At this point the user can disconnect the Roadrunner from the Eagle and pause the feedback by running independently these two units (from my experience pausing the feedback, makes sense when the belts and lubricants will get warm -after some time of operation- thus no further speed variations will be noticed)

of course the Eagle is providing voltage adjustment too, and the user has the convenience to reduce the voltage up to the golden section, where the synchronous motors’ vibration/noise will be at the minimum and the torque at maximum.

The feeling of stable speed is really sublime and directly translated into dramatically improved sound in all frequencies.( the condition of course is the good condition of the main bearing, thrust plate and accurate shaft bushing/liner, which I had to replace with third party’s due to VPI’s very poor quality)

What Bill Carlin had managed to achieve through these tiny boxes, is not only humiliating VPI who has failed to present a decent power supply and solve the speed issue after the SDS era, but mainly reflects Bill’s genius mind and his high engineering background. I respect him both as a designer but as a character too, and I believe that his retirement is a loss for the industry.

I can get now an idea, of how the AS2000 is performing with the superior motor and bearing, the accurate speed and that mass

finally I would strongly suggest to VPI, to copy and adopt the Phoenix Engineering designs for the tach and Eagle. He has generously shared them into the DIY audio forum. After all, VPI’s theory for all analogue is long ago vitiated by the introduction of the HW40 which is utilizing digital components.

(To be continued with Kuzma Tonearm impressions )

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 4, 2014
Denmark
The above described situation with the VPI Avenger Reference, at some point had made me feel disgusted and sick with vinyl in such an extent that nearly made me many times to throw the turntable away.

Thankfully I was lucky to find a pair of Roadrunner and Eagle as well as to get rid of both of the VPI Tonearms and replace them with a Kuzma 4P. I will never forget the moment that they were installed into my system and the moment that I had listened the first vinyl with them. I will never forget the moment that I had the VPI ADS removed from the system too, with it’s buzzing transformer and the completely inaccurate knobs.

The Roadrunner and Eagle is not just a well designed power supply. This set is way more things than this.

Having spent many hours now with Eagle and Roadrunner, I am confident to say that they offer many more things than just accurate speed.

By watching the speed variation on the Roadrunner and the frequency of corrections applied by the Eagle (blinking dot) the user can adjust the belt’s tension, at my case the proximity/tension of the rim drive into the platter until the moment that the speed becomes very very stable (+- 0.002 rpm) with very slow variations. At that moment the applied speed correction will be made once every two/three minutes. When this point is achieved the measured wow is dramatically reduced. At this point the user can disconnect the Roadrunner from the Eagle and pause the feedback by running independently these two units (from my experience pausing the feedback, makes sense when the belts and lubricants will get warm -after some time of operation- thus no further speed variations will be noticed)

of course the Eagle is providing voltage adjustment too, and the user has the convenience to reduce the voltage up to the golden section, where the synchronous motors’ vibration/noise will be at the minimum and the torque at maximum.

The feeling of stable speed is really sublime and directly translated into dramatically improved sound in all frequencies.( the condition of course is the good condition of the main bearing, thrust plate and accurate shaft bushing/liner, which I had to replace with third party’s due to VPI’s very poor quality)

What Bill Carlin had managed to achieve through these tiny boxes, is not only humiliating VPI who has failed to present a decent power supply and solve the speed issue after the SDS era, but mainly reflects Bill’s genius mind and his high engineering background. I respect him both as a designer but as a character too, and I believe that his retirement is a loss for the industry.

I can get now an idea, of how the AS2000 is performing with the superior motor and bearing, the accurate speed and that mass

finally I would strongly suggest to VPI, to copy and adopt the Phoenix Engineering designs for the tach and Eagle. He has generously shared them into the DIY audio forum. After all, VPI’s theory for all analogue is long ago vitiated by the introduction of the HW40 which is utilizing digital components.

(To be continued with Kuzma Tonearm impressions )
I am using the Phoenix combo
on my Maplenoll TT, the slow increase of output on startup comes in handy when starting up the 100 lb lead/steel platter. I prefer the sound without feedback from the tach, once the TT is warmed up.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Oct 14, 2018
Athens Greece
I am using the Phoenix combo
on my Maplenoll TT, the slow increase of output on startup comes in handy when starting up the 100 lb lead/steel platter. I prefer the sound without feedback from the tach, once the TT is warmed up.
I have just seen the official presentation of the long awaited, new VPI ADS Tacho and the VPI user’s reactions. I feel so lucky to own a Phoenix Engineering set of Eagle and Roadrunner. how right I feel https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/vpi-hw40-direct-drive.30113/page-6#post-632411

96B83683-D1C8-4B28-A201-8F8CFD9D9C80.jpeg

49409553-39BE-40B7-BC98-C5F345766DF3.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing