* NAD M33 Integeated Amp"Is it too good?"

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
While perusing you tube for videos on digital audio the algorithms sent me this video.
We all love NAD and this feature laden amp for around $5k will probably be no exception. I have not hrard it. I have no plan to purchase it.

Why then should I give it attention? As the title implies, can an amp be to good? After giving it a near perfect review the critic panned it. I am paraphrasing but without pointing to anything specifically he claimed it just did not do it for him. He just did not get musically involved the way he did with a lesser product.

Now there are two ways we can go here. The better it measures the better it sounds or that he was fond of some euphoric coloration that had been eradicated.
I generally adhere to notion that vanishingly distortion is often achieve by methods that strip the waveform of other quality's. Negative feed back for example.
What say you?

Reactions: jandl100

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
While perusing you tube for videos on digital audio the algorithms sent me this video.
We all love NAD and this feature laden amp for around $5k will probably be no exception. I have not hrard it. I have no plan to purchase it.

Why then should I give it attention? As the title implies, can an amp be to good? After giving it a near perfect review the critic panned it. I am paraphrasing but without pointing to anything specifically he claimed it just did not do it for him. He just did not get musically involved the way he did with a lesser product.

Now there are two ways we can go here. The better it measures the better it sounds or that he was fond of some euphoric coloration that had been eradicated.
I generally adhere to notion that vanishingly distortion is often achieve by methods that strip the waveform of other quality's. Negative feed back for example.
What say you?
Not sure which review you are referring to but all the ones I've read have been such that they were followed up by awards. Stereophile awarded 3 such gongs to the M33, although as we all knnow, this alone is not necessarily a reason for purchase.

All I can say is that after home testing a dozen ss amps (I wanted to move away from tubes), I chose the M32. The M33 is subtly better in every respect and it includes streamer (a plug-in module with M32) and Dirac Live DSP for what that's worth. For £4K is a true bargain in my view and should be auditioned by anyone wanting to reduce their box (and cable) count without losing sound quality.

Attachments

• NAD M33 Stereophile Awards.PNG
    NAD M33 Stereophile Awards.PNG
    222.9 KB · Views: 6

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You tube
Finally NAD M33 Review withHDMI integrated amp.
Is it too good?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Why then should I give it attention? As the title implies, can an amp be to good?
It really depends on what the meaning of "good" is to the writer of such a comment.
The better it measures the better it sounds or that he was fond of some euphoric coloration that had been eradicated.
There are two of the possibilities. I tend to dismiss the latter but the former is not an iron-clad guarantee without reference to context.
Stereophile awarded 3 such gongs to the M33, although as we all knnow, this alone is not necessarily a reason for purchase.
I'm crushed. :eek:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Meaning of "good"? He was not very specific. He really gave it praise. I assume it was musicality he referring to.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I say this is also a topic (like A v D) that has been beaten to death. But have at it please. Maybe I will read something new. No-one knows what he heard.

jandl100

Mar 6, 2018
Forest of Dean, UK
My own experiences and preferences with quite a few midline DACs is that the newer, very much better specced DACs just don't provide what I want as musical entertainment.
I feel I could plot a straight-line graph of musical satisfaction decreasing as the spec improved!

For a while I was happy playing around with digital models typically 10-15 years old.
But I have since discovered the joys of R-2R DACs and have settled in very nicely with a Holo Audio Spring level 2. R-2R has been around for a long time, so I guess I have found my own sweet spot of a modern implementation of old digital technology.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing