Nad m51?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
This unit is exciting to me for a few reasons. It offers the chance (through its HDMI input and a disc player like an Oppo) to play stereo hi-res content from Bluray, SACD and HDCD (the last as a 24/44.1 signal) through one DAC. It converts everything to PWM (essentially a high bit rate DSD?) which is claimed to dramatically reduce both jitter and filter ringing. It has a (good sounding?) USB 24/192 input.

Reviewed by Stereophile in the July 2012 issue.

Offered by Audio Advisor (and I assume most NAD dealers) with its 30-day guarantee.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It looks very similar to Stereophile's review and conclusions. Just don't lose the remote if you are going to use it as a pre-amp!

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I am a dealer for this so take it for what it's worth, but coincidentally we had been comparing to the Ayre QB-9 as the review did -- they are VERY similar-sounding, basically indistinguishable. Methodology was to sync a couple of Squeezeboxes running into each (employing the EDO applet which allows USB out). Level matched the NADs volume control, switched among them using an ARC Ref 5. No one felt they could reliably tell the difference and some very experienced listeners passed thru. NAD sounded basically the same from its other inputs btw, though time with them has been brief. Next step will be to go directly into an amp with it.

Rshatzer

Jan 21, 2012
With much deliberation, I pulled the plug and bought a NAD M51. With the budget I had set, this seemed like my best choice. Initially hooked it up to my tubed Anthem preamp and was underwhelmed. Left room and came back 5 or 6 songs later and the DAC really opened up. Finished the disc and powered down so I could hook NAD directly to my Rotel RB 1080 amp. Immediately preferred this setup. Listened to my system for two days running NAD into amp and enjoyed every second of it. Resolution was greatly improved over my CDP and DVD players. With NAD my soundstage was larger. Surprised me how much music was happening now outside the outer width of speakers, but more than anything the presentation sounded very natural to my ears. Incredible extension at both frequency extremes. Bass was most articulate and more satisfying than i've experienced thus far, even exceeding my analog setup.

So after this two days, I hooked DAC back up to Anthem and for the first time ever, realized how much coloration the tubes were giving me. Mids and high frequencies were sweeter with every recording (sometimes unnaturally so), but bass was tubby and bloated, lacking in what i'd enjoyed over the past two days. Soundstage also resumed it's smaller size.

Before getting NAD, I suspected my amp would stand out as being glaringly in need of an upgrade, but now I can tell my preamp will need to go if I ever plan on getting my analog up to snuff. Perhaps the coolest thing for me is just enjoying music i've listened to forever in such a satisfying way. I'm very pleased thus far and hope it gives me as good of service as my other gear.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
yep, glad you're happy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing